PD
Posted By
postman delivers
Nov 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just noticed that my PH Elements 2 does not have a pen tool, So I thought I had best ask about the new version. Not a tool I used very much because I did not take the time to learn to use it… when using PH 6.

Now I need it and do not have the tool…..

JR the postman

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
Corey
Dec 1, 2004
"postman delivers" wrote in message
I just noticed that my PH Elements 2 does not have a pen tool, So I
thought
I had best ask about the new version. Not a tool I used very much because
I
did not take the time to learn to use it… when using PH 6.

JR the postman

I don’t know if 3 has a pen tool but it’s sort of weird that 2 doesn’t. PSE 2 has assorted vector shapes, and you’d think it would offer a way to edit them other than mere transforming.

Do you not have PS 6 anymore? Maybe you could download a trial version of PS CS or Illustrator.

Peadge 🙂
PD
postman delivers
Dec 1, 2004
"Peadge" wrote in message
I just noticed that my PH Elements 2 does not have a pen tool, So I
thought
I had best ask about the new version. Not a tool I used very much
because
I
did not take the time to learn to use it… when using PH 6.

JR the postman

I don’t know if 3 has a pen tool but it’s sort of weird that 2 doesn’t.
PSE
2 has assorted vector shapes, and you’d think it would offer a way to edit them other than mere transforming.

Do you not have PS 6 anymore? Maybe you could download a trial version of PS CS or Illustrator.

Peadge 🙂
Peadge,

No, the computer and software left together, it appeared I was taking the owner for granted and she took her things and moved away. Yes have elements 2 and illustrator, but I noticed I can not export to illustrator with Elements either.

Version 4 wish list…

quick mask
pen tool
curve adjustment
export to illustrator

I do not believe these are in the new release…

JR the postman
TK
Ted Kerin
Dec 3, 2004
Nope.

Like you, I never bothered learning the pen tool in Photoshop, so I didn’t miss it in Elements until you asked.

But Elements 3 does add the "Shadow/Highlight" sliders (under Enhance/ Adjust Lighting), very good for underexposed images, which didn’t appear in full Photoshop until version 8/CS.
S
Stinkweed
Dec 4, 2004
"Ted Kerin" wrote in message
Nope.

Like you, I never bothered learning the pen tool in Photoshop, so I didn’t miss it in Elements until you asked.

But Elements 3 does add the "Shadow/Highlight" sliders (under Enhance/ Adjust Lighting), very good for underexposed images, which didn’t appear in
full Photoshop until version 8/CS.
I haven’t really messed with my pen tool much and I just assumed it was a part of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2. When I ordered the Pad Elements come with it. I’m pretty sure Santa is bringing me Elements 3 for Christmas and I want to really learn how to use this one. I’m dissapointed to know the pad won’t work with it.
PD
postman delivers
Dec 4, 2004
"Stinkweed" wrote in message
Nope.

Like you, I never bothered learning the pen tool in Photoshop, so I
didn’t
miss it in Elements until you asked.

But Elements 3 does add the "Shadow/Highlight" sliders (under Enhance/ Adjust Lighting), very good for underexposed images, which didn’t appear in
I haven’t really messed with my pen tool much and I just assumed it was a part of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2. When I ordered the Pad Elements come with it. I’m pretty sure Santa is bringing me Elements 3 for Christmas
and
I want to really learn how to use this one. I’m dissapointed to know the pad won’t work with it.
Stinkweed,

No you misunderstand, or my English is not detailed enough for you. In Illustrator, Photoshop version 5.5, 6, and 7 (cs I am certain) there is a tool labeled "Pen" it allows vector lines for precise drawing, that can be containers for fills, lines for brush stroke, or as a line/guide for text to follow. We are not talking about a tablet, or a drawing pad & pen.

I am discovering more, and more that I need to re purchase Photoshop rather than continuing to learn how to use elements 2 and its functions that are labeled and placed in different location within the program than they are in Photoshop. I have tried to keep an open mind, and I will continue to use workarounds, or plug-ins that Richard Lynch’s book introduces for several more months.

JR the postman
S
Stinkweed
Dec 5, 2004

Nope.

didn’t

I haven’t really messed with my pen tool much and I just assumed it was a part of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2. When I ordered the Pad Elements come with it. I’m pretty sure Santa is bringing me Elements 3 for Christmas
and
I want to really learn how to use this one. I’m disappointed to know the pad won’t work with it.
Stinkweed,

No you misunderstand, or my English is not detailed enough for you. In Illustrator, Photoshop version 5.5, 6, and 7 (cs I am certain) there is a tool labeled "Pen" it allows vector lines for precise drawing, that can be containers for fills, lines for brush stroke, or as a line/guide for text to follow. We are not talking about a tablet, or a drawing pad & pen.
I am discovering more, and more that I need to re purchase Photoshop rather than continuing to learn how to use elements 2 and its functions that are labeled and placed in different location within the program than they are in Photoshop. I have tried to keep an open mind, and I will continue to use workarounds, or plug-ins that Richard Lynch’s book introduces for several more months.

JR the postman

I did misunderstand, sorry. When I saw pen I just assumed you were talking about the pen and tablet. Banging head on wall. I have so much to learn.
PD
postman delivers
Dec 5, 2004

Nope.

didn’t

But Elements 3 does add the "Shadow/Highlight" sliders (under Enhance/ Adjust Lighting), very good for underexposed images, which didn’t
appear
in
and
I want to really learn how to use this one. I’m disappointed to know the pad won’t work with it.
Stinkweed,

No you misunderstand, or my English is not detailed enough for you. In Illustrator, Photoshop version 5.5, 6, and 7 (cs I am certain) there is a tool labeled "Pen" it allows vector lines for precise drawing, that can
be
containers for fills, lines for brush stroke, or as a line/guide for text
to
follow. We are not talking about a tablet, or a drawing pad & pen.
I am discovering more, and more that I need to re purchase Photoshop
rather
than continuing to learn how to use elements 2 and its functions that are labeled and placed in different location within the program than they are
in
Photoshop. I have tried to keep an open mind, and I will continue to use workarounds, or plug-ins that Richard Lynch’s book introduces for several more months.

JR the postman

I did misunderstand, sorry. When I saw pen I just assumed you were talking about the pen and tablet. Banging head on wall. I have so much to learn.

Stinkweed,

One way to improve your graphic skills is to use a weekly or BI weekly event. I occasionally participate in a friendly newsgroup that challenges my knowledge and skill participating in the BI-weekly graphic events… Go and lurk in the newsgroup to see what is happening – and when you feel like participating try a WET (Weekend Theme) or MIDC (Midweek Challenge). The only winner of this participation will be you, for using your graphic skills. Some times your efforts will be good other times they are not going to be the best, but I found that participating did add knowledge and speed to my use of the graphic tools I had, and could use.
The alt.binaries.comp-graphics "abc-g" group has three main functions at present.

WeekEnd Theme (! or 3 photos or drawinga are posted by one of the group subscribers, and you use that as the bases of your graphic. You can create another picture and add all or one of the graphic, or modify the graphic to create the entry it is up to you)

Midweek Challenge (this is an idea, and you make a image from the idea)

Share computer generated graphics (see below *)

* This newsgroup is a place to post computer graphics. All graphic types of images are posted from 3D to animation. adding a note as to software used and explanation of techniques is encouraged but is not necessary.

The posters to this group range from beginning hobbyist to commercial artists, all of whom are interested in improving their techniques and sharing their art works.

By sharing our knowledge and art we promote exposure to cutting edge graphic art, encourage creative experimentation and increase knowledge. Any discussions related to the posted graphics or general news pertaining to computer graphics is permissible. Stinkweed, have a look at this newsgroup, it can assist your learning, and it can be enjoyable. Remember all newsgroups are cominities, some you will enjoy and other you will stop and look around and not stay long.

JR the postman
S
Stinkweed
Dec 6, 2004

Nope.

didn’t

But Elements 3 does add the "Shadow/Highlight" sliders (under Enhance/ Adjust Lighting), very good for underexposed images, which didn’t
appear
in
I haven’t really messed with my pen tool much and I just assumed it was a
part of Adobe Photoshop Elements 2. When I ordered the Pad Elements come
with it. I’m pretty sure Santa is bringing me Elements 3 for Christmas
and
I want to really learn how to use this one. I’m disappointed to know the
pad won’t work with it.
Stinkweed,

No you misunderstand, or my English is not detailed enough for you. In Illustrator, Photoshop version 5.5, 6, and 7 (cs I am certain) there is a tool labeled "Pen" it allows vector lines for precise drawing, that can
be
containers for fills, lines for brush stroke, or as a line/guide for text
to
rather
than continuing to learn how to use elements 2 and its functions that are labeled and placed in different location within the program than they are
in
Photoshop. I have tried to keep an open mind, and I will continue to use workarounds, or plug-ins that Richard Lynch’s book introduces for several more months.

JR the postman

I did misunderstand, sorry. When I saw pen I just assumed you were talking
about the pen and tablet. Banging head on wall. I have so much to learn.

Stinkweed,

One way to improve your graphic skills is to use a weekly or BI weekly event. I occasionally participate in a friendly newsgroup that challenges my knowledge and skill participating in the BI-weekly graphic events… Go
and lurk in the newsgroup to see what is happening – and when you feel like
participating try a WET (Weekend Theme) or MIDC (Midweek Challenge). The only winner of this participation will be you, for using your graphic skills. Some times your efforts will be good other times they are not going
to be the best, but I found that participating did add knowledge and speed to my use of the graphic tools I had, and could use.
The alt.binaries.comp-graphics "abc-g" group has three main functions at present.

WeekEnd Theme (! or 3 photos or drawinga are posted by one of the group subscribers, and you use that as the bases of your graphic. You can create
another picture and add all or one of the graphic, or modify the graphic to
create the entry it is up to you)

* This newsgroup is a place to post computer graphics. All graphic types of
images are posted from 3D to animation. adding a note as to software used and explanation of techniques is encouraged but is not necessary.
The posters to this group range from beginning hobbyist to commercial artists, all of whom are interested in improving their techniques and sharing their art works.

By sharing our knowledge and art we promote exposure to cutting edge graphic
art, encourage creative experimentation and increase knowledge. Any discussions related to the posted graphics or general news pertaining to computer graphics is permissible. Stinkweed, have a look at this newsgroup,
it can assist your learning, and it can be enjoyable. Remember all newsgroups are cominities, some you will enjoy and other you will stop and look around and not stay long.

JR the postman

Thank you, I have put it in my groups, I haven’t even started on this stuff yet, but I want to get serious about it just for my own satisfaction. I have been gathering the programs and the tools and you have just provided me with a group that will help me get started. I do have a question about the Photoshop Elements 2.0 and the new Photoshop Premier Elements 3.0 plus Adobe Premiere Elements <which Santa is getting me for Christmas> I hope. 🙂 When I install the new one, should the old one be taken out first? Now I am going to go and take a look at the new group.
PD
postman delivers
Dec 6, 2004

Nope.

didn’t

But Elements 3 does add the "Shadow/Highlight" sliders (under
Enhance/
Adjust Lighting), very good for underexposed images, which didn’t
appear
in
I haven’t really messed with my pen tool much and I just assumed it
was
a
with it. I’m pretty sure Santa is bringing me Elements 3 for
Christmas
and
pad won’t work with it.
Stinkweed,

No you misunderstand, or my English is not detailed enough for you. In Illustrator, Photoshop version 5.5, 6, and 7 (cs I am certain) there is
a
tool labeled "Pen" it allows vector lines for precise drawing, that
can
be
containers for fills, lines for brush stroke, or as a line/guide for
text
to
rather
than continuing to learn how to use elements 2 and its functions that
are
labeled and placed in different location within the program than they
are
in
Photoshop. I have tried to keep an open mind, and I will continue to
use
workarounds, or plug-ins that Richard Lynch’s book introduces for
several
more months.

JR the postman

about the pen and tablet. Banging head on wall. I have so much to
learn.

Stinkweed,

One way to improve your graphic skills is to use a weekly or BI weekly event. I occasionally participate in a friendly newsgroup that
challenges
my knowledge and skill participating in the BI-weekly graphic events… Go
participating try a WET (Weekend Theme) or MIDC (Midweek Challenge).
The
only winner of this participation will be you, for using your graphic skills. Some times your efforts will be good other times they are not going
to be the best, but I found that participating did add knowledge and
speed
to my use of the graphic tools I had, and could use.

WeekEnd Theme (! or 3 photos or drawinga are posted by one of the
group
subscribers, and you use that as the bases of your graphic. You can create
another picture and add all or one of the graphic, or modify the graphic to

* This newsgroup is a place to post computer graphics. All graphic types of
images are posted from 3D to animation. adding a note as to software
used
and explanation of techniques is encouraged but is not necessary.

art, encourage creative experimentation and increase knowledge. Any discussions related to the posted graphics or general news pertaining to computer graphics is permissible. Stinkweed, have a look at this newsgroup,
it can assist your learning, and it can be enjoyable. Remember all newsgroups are cominities, some you will enjoy and other you will stop
and
look around and not stay long.

JR the postman

Thank you, I have put it in my groups, I haven’t even started on this
stuff
yet, but I want to get serious about it just for my own satisfaction. I have been gathering the programs and the tools and you have just provided
me
with a group that will help me get started. I do have a question about
the
Photoshop Elements 2.0 and the new Photoshop Premier Elements 3.0 plus
Adobe
Premiere Elements <which Santa is getting me for Christmas> I hope. 🙂 When I install the new one, should the old one be taken out first? Now I
am
going to go and take a look at the new group.

I have always found information like your question in the first few pages of the manual –

I understand that 3 only comes with a manual on the CD – but my experience tells me, probably not – you can keep both as programs… Someone else running Photoshop elements would be better equipped to provide an answer to this specific question. However several other people in this newsgroup are running both versions it appears on the surface.

Also look at http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorialselements.htm and do a few of her tuts, to better equip your self with more knowledge.. quickly.

JR the postman
S
Stinkweed
Dec 6, 2004

Nope.

didn’t

But Elements 3 does add the "Shadow/Highlight" sliders (under
Enhance/
Adjust Lighting), very good for underexposed images, which didn’t
appear
in
I haven’t really messed with my pen tool much and I just assumed it
was
a
with it. I’m pretty sure Santa is bringing me Elements 3 for
Christmas
and
pad won’t work with it.
Stinkweed,

No you misunderstand, or my English is not detailed enough for you. In
Illustrator, Photoshop version 5.5, 6, and 7 (cs I am certain) there is
a
tool labeled "Pen" it allows vector lines for precise drawing, that
can
be
containers for fills, lines for brush stroke, or as a line/guide for
text
to
rather
than continuing to learn how to use elements 2 and its functions that
are
labeled and placed in different location within the program than they
are
in
Photoshop. I have tried to keep an open mind, and I will continue to
use
workarounds, or plug-ins that Richard Lynch’s book introduces for
several
more months.

JR the postman

about the pen and tablet. Banging head on wall. I have so much to
learn.

Stinkweed,

One way to improve your graphic skills is to use a weekly or BI weekly event. I occasionally participate in a friendly newsgroup that
challenges
my knowledge and skill participating in the BI-weekly graphic events… Go
participating try a WET (Weekend Theme) or MIDC (Midweek Challenge).
The
only winner of this participation will be you, for using your graphic skills. Some times your efforts will be good other times they are not going
to be the best, but I found that participating did add knowledge and
speed
to my use of the graphic tools I had, and could use.
The alt.binaries.comp-graphics "abc-g" group has three main functions at
present.

WeekEnd Theme (! or 3 photos or drawinga are posted by one of the
group
subscribers, and you use that as the bases of your graphic. You can create
another picture and add all or one of the graphic, or modify the graphic
to

* This newsgroup is a place to post computer graphics. All graphic types
of
images are posted from 3D to animation. adding a note as to software
used
and explanation of techniques is encouraged but is not necessary.

art, encourage creative experimentation and increase knowledge. Any discussions related to the posted graphics or general news pertaining to
computer graphics is permissible. Stinkweed, have a look at this newsgroup,
it can assist your learning, and it can be enjoyable. Remember all newsgroups are cominities, some you will enjoy and other you will stop
and
look around and not stay long.

JR the postman

Thank you, I have put it in my groups, I haven’t even started on this
stuff
yet, but I want to get serious about it just for my own satisfaction. I have been gathering the programs and the tools and you have just provided
me
with a group that will help me get started. I do have a question about
the
Photoshop Elements 2.0 and the new Photoshop Premier Elements 3.0 plus
Adobe
Premiere Elements <which Santa is getting me for Christmas> I hope. 🙂 When I install the new one, should the old one be taken out first? Now I
am
going to go and take a look at the new group.

I have always found information like your question in the first few pages of
the manual –

I understand that 3 only comes with a manual on the CD – but my experience tells me, probably not – you can keep both as programs… Someone else running Photoshop elements would be better equipped to provide an answer to
this specific question. However several other people in this newsgroup are
running both versions it appears on the surface.

Also look at http://myjanee.home.insightbb.com/tutorialselements.htm and do
a few of her tuts, to better equip your self with more knowledge.. quickly.

JR the postman
Thanks, I went to the other group and it looks like it will be fun when I know what I am doing. I will take a run to the other place you just put up and see what is there. Thanks so much.
TK
Ted Kerin
Dec 6, 2004

Nope.

didn’t
and

I’m sorry that you misled by my answer. Postman’s question and my answer were about a software feature in Photoshop, which is completely different from your hardware concern about digital tablets and pens.

A Wacom tablet will work pefectly fine with Elements. And there are other brands of tablets, but I really recommend the Wacom — you won’t be sorry!

S
Stinkweed
Dec 6, 2004

Nope.

didn’t
I haven’t really messed with my pen tool much and I just assumed it was a
with it. I’m pretty sure Santa is bringing me Elements 3 for Christmas
and
pad won’t work with it.

I’m sorry that you misled by my answer. Postman’s question and my answer were about a software feature in Photoshop, which is completely different from your hardware concern about digital tablets and pens.
A Wacom tablet will work pefectly fine with Elements. And there are other brands of tablets, but I really recommend the Wacom — you won’t be sorry!

I have the Wacom tablet, Now I just have to learn to use it, I’m glad it will work with the new Elements. When I get it that is when I plan on really starting to work on my pictures etc. So I’m sure I will drive you all nuts in here after the first of the year.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections