Elements 3.0 – Some Modules Always Running and always attemps to access the internet on startup.

W
Posted By
wfs
Nov 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All,
How do I stop ‘elements 3.0’ always having some modules running, even when I’m not using it ?

I only use ‘elements’ occasionally, so would prefer not to have the program(s) running the 99.9% of the time I’m not using it.

Thanks

Bill

– modules always running

PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect.exe
PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe

I also dislike the way it attempts to connect to the internet every time it starts up…..

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

JL
Jim Lloyd
Nov 27, 2004
If you are using Windows, click on your start button and then click on run. Type msconfig into the open box. This will run the System Configuration Utility for Windows. Select the Services tab. Then uncheck the box next to the Adobe Active File Monitor and the Photoshop Elements Device Connect. Hit ok and let it do the re-boot. You’ll get a message saying that there has been changes made, this is ok, so check the box that says not to run the utility again.

Now these two things won’t run in the background whenever Windows starts. The Device Connect monitors your USB ports to see if a camera, card reader, etc. gets connected. The File Monitor has something to do with watched files or folders looking for new pictures to be added.

I have turned them both off with no ill effects at all.
JL
Jim Lloyd
Nov 27, 2004
sorry… I don’t know about the connecting to the internet problem. Have you registered? The program might be trying to connect to let you register. Or it could be checking for upgrades. Check to see if there is a preference for turning off check for upgrades.
W
wfs
Nov 28, 2004
Hi Jim,
thanks for the help.

I have registered my copy of ‘Elements’. Whenever I start ‘Elements’, it attempts to connect to the internet, which is detected by ‘ZoneLabs’. It’s probably just checking for updates, but such activity always makes me suspicious.

Bill

"Jim Lloyd" wrote in message
sorry… I don’t know about the connecting to the internet problem. Have you registered? The program might be trying to connect to let you register. Or it could be checking for upgrades. Check to see if there is a preference for turning off check for upgrades.
M
Mystic
Dec 1, 2004
wfs wrote:
Hi Jim,
thanks for the help.

I have registered my copy of ‘Elements’. Whenever I start ‘Elements’, it attempts to connect to the internet, which is detected by ‘ZoneLabs’. It’s probably just checking for updates, but such activity always makes me suspicious.

Bill

"Jim Lloyd" wrote in message

In a discussion on another group, it was mentioned the Photoshop (full version) would check the network the computer was connected to for copies of itself. If the serial numbers matched PS would crash, destroying any work in progress. This is a "one user, one program" type policy. Elements might be trying to do the same thing.

*MYSTIC*

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections