W
Posted By
williamrail
Oct 29, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just bought a new laptop with a 17 inch wide LCD. Great resolution and landscapes, but fat faced portraits are a problem. OK if I rescale the image beforehand, as long as I remember to revert it before printing (otherwise I get thin faced prints). Mfrs help desk can’t offer a solution, but I would like to be able to adjust the screen output as appropriate to make things simpler, even if it means buying an external adapter (if there is such a thing.)

Using control panel and settings only produces a string of ‘letterbox’ resolutions, and doesn’t allow me manually increase the pixel height.My OS is Windows XP

Anybody solved this problem and can help?

William Rail

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BT
Ben T
Oct 30, 2004
William,
This newsgroup has a very limited an small number of subscribers. Go here http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb65821 for more Info. I still use and prefer a CRT for viewing photos. Can’t help ya. Ben

"William Rail" wrote in message
I have just bought a new laptop with a 17 inch wide LCD. Great resolution and landscapes, but fat faced portraits are a problem. OK if I rescale the image beforehand, as long as I remember to revert it before printing (otherwise I get thin faced prints). Mfrs help desk can’t offer a solution, but I would like to be able to adjust the screen output as appropriate to make things simpler, even if it means buying an external adapter (if there is such a thing.)

Using control panel and settings only produces a string of ‘letterbox’ resolutions, and doesn’t allow me manually increase the pixel height.My OS is Windows XP

William Rail

S
Stinkweed
Oct 31, 2004
May I ask what a CRT is?

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,
This newsgroup has a very limited an small number of subscribers. Go here http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb65821 for more
Info.
I still use and prefer a CRT for viewing photos. Can’t help ya. Ben

William Rail

BT
Ben T
Oct 31, 2004
Stinkweed
Cathode Ray Tube, Like the older computers and the older TVs, not LCD or Plama. Ben

"Stinkweed" wrote in message
May I ask what a CRT is?

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,
This newsgroup has a very limited an small number of subscribers. Go here http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb65821 for more
Info.

William Rail
BT
Ben T
Oct 31, 2004
Typo, meant to say Plasma instead of Plama, sorry ’bout dat! Ben
"Ben T" wrote in message Stinkweed
Cathode Ray Tube, Like the older computers and the older TVs, not LCD or Plama. Ben

May I ask what a CRT is?

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,
Info.

William Rail
S
Stinkweed
Oct 31, 2004
No problem as I’m still not sure what you mean. I do have an older desk top with a "glass" ? screen and I have this one a lap top and when I touch the screen it looks kind of wavy, so I’m guessing this one is either LCD or Plasma. The screen on this one is flat I think the other is some rounded. I’m taking this one in and having XP put in it so I can get the new version of Elements. The computer needs worked on anyway. Does the new version support the tablet for version 2?

"Ben T" wrote in message
"Ben T" wrote in message
Stinkweed
Cathode Ray Tube, Like the older computers and the older TVs, not LCD or Plama.
Ben

May I ask what a CRT is?

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,
Info.

William Rail

BT
Ben T
Oct 31, 2004
Stinkweed
You are correct in your guessing. The one with the glass screen is a CRT. Your lap top is a LCD.
I don’t know about tablets.
This newsgroup has a very limited and small number of subscribers. Go here http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb65821 for more info and sign in.
Ben

No problem as I’m still not sure what you mean. I do have an older desk top
with a "glass" ? screen and I have this one a lap top and when I touch the screen it looks kind of wavy, so I’m guessing this one is either LCD or Plasma. The screen on this one is flat I think the other is some rounded. I’m taking this one in and having XP put in it so I can get the new version
of Elements. The computer needs worked on anyway. Does the new version support the tablet for version 2?

"Ben T" wrote in message
"Ben T" wrote in message
Stinkweed
Ben

May I ask what a CRT is?

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,
Info.

I have just bought a new laptop with a 17 inch wide LCD. Great resolution and landscapes, but fat faced portraits are a problem. OK if I rescale the image beforehand, as long as I remember to revert
it
before printing (otherwise I get thin faced prints). Mfrs help desk can’t offer a solution, but I would like to be able to adjust the screen output as appropriate to make things simpler, even if it
means
buying an external adapter (if there is such a thing.)

William Rail

RN
Robert Nabors
Nov 10, 2004
A 19" and 15" LCD is on my desk top for photo editing. There is some color difference between the two LCD’S. I don’t have any trouble with having good color displayed on both desktop LCD’s.

My two Lap Tops with LCD’s have poorer color than the desktop LCD’s. So, they are used for storing photos on a trip. Even so, if you are out taking pictures, one can still tell a lot more about the composition of a photo by using a laptop, and it is certainly better than looking at the screen on the back of a digital camera to see if you have a good shot.

A printed color photo is never the same exact color as shown on any monitor that I’ve owned, LCD or CRT. After a while one learns the differences in the monitors used for viewing and the print results whether it is a CRT or LCD.

I would never go back to using a CRT for photo editing, or anything for that matter.

No doubt, in years to come, TV screens and monitor screens will all be flat screens as result of further engineered improvements.

Bob

"Ben T" wrote in message
Stinkweed
You are correct in your guessing. The one with the glass screen is a CRT. Your lap top is a LCD.
I don’t know about tablets.
This newsgroup has a very limited and small number of subscribers. Go here http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb65821 for more info and sign in.
Ben

No problem as I’m still not sure what you mean. I do have an older desk top
with a "glass" ? screen and I have this one a lap top and when I touch the
screen it looks kind of wavy, so I’m guessing this one is either LCD or Plasma. The screen on this one is flat I think the other is some rounded.
I’m taking this one in and having XP put in it so I can get the new version
of Elements. The computer needs worked on anyway. Does the new version support the tablet for version 2?

"Ben T" wrote in message
"Ben T" wrote in message
Stinkweed
Ben

May I ask what a CRT is?

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,
This newsgroup has a very limited an small number of subscribers. Go here http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb65821 for
more
Info.

I have just bought a new laptop with a 17 inch wide LCD. Great resolution and landscapes, but fat faced portraits are a problem.
OK
if I rescale the image beforehand, as long as I remember to revert
it
before printing (otherwise I get thin faced prints). Mfrs help desk can’t offer a solution, but I would like to be able to adjust the screen output as appropriate to make things simpler, even if it
means

William Rail

M
Markeau
Nov 12, 2004
So for sure none of the screen resolutions in
Control Panel > Settings > Display > Settings
…. correct the problem?

Sounds like your machine is not outputting video in the correct aspect ratio. Unfortunately, even though you said you already talked to the mfgr’s tech support, ultimately is really is their responsibility to provide a correct video driver.

William Rail wrote:
I have just bought a new laptop with a 17 inch wide LCD. Great resolution and landscapes, but fat faced portraits are a problem. OK if I rescale the image beforehand, as long as I remember to revert it
before printing (otherwise I get thin faced prints). Mfrs help desk can’t offer a solution, but I would like to be able to adjust the screen output as appropriate to make things simpler, even if it means

S
Stinkweed
Nov 14, 2004
Ben what is CRT? I just got a new computer and found that where I used to store my photos, the program I have will not work with XP. I need a simple program to store the photographs when I take them out of the camera. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, but if there is a way to store them there I don’t know how to do it. Can you recommend a reasonalble priced program just to store the pictures in that is easy to use.

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,
This newsgroup has a very limited an small number of subscribers. Go here http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb65821 for more Info.

William Rail

S
Stinkweed
Nov 14, 2004
Oh geesh, I see I asked the same question again. I have been off for awhile and hadn’t seen that you had answered. But I still need an answer to part of the question.
"Ben T" wrote in message Stinkweed

May I ask what a CRT is?

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,
Info.

William Rail
BT
Ben T
Nov 14, 2004
Stinkweed,
You really don’t need a program to store your photos. Back to basics. Photos are stored on your hard drive and not within Elements. Elements opens your photos for you to work on them.

In Elements 2, File > Open, browse to your folder ( My Pictures ? ) where your photos are stored and double click the photo you want to open in Elements 2.

A free program that many think highly of can be downloaded from here; http://www.irfanview.com/
Ben

Ben what is CRT? I just got a new computer and found that where I used to store my photos, the program I have will not work with XP. I need a simple program to store the photographs when I take them out of the camera. I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, but if there is a way to store them there I don’t know how to do it. Can you recommend a reasonalble priced program just to store the pictures in that is easy to use.

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,
This newsgroup has a very limited an small number of subscribers. Go here http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb65821 for more Info.

William Rail

M
Markeau
Nov 14, 2004
Stinkweed wrote:
Can you recommend
a reasonalble priced program just to store the pictures in that is easy to use.

ACDSee … they have a free trial:
http://www.acdsystems.com/english/Products/ACDSee/index?LAN= englishX70
S
Stinkweed
Nov 15, 2004
I have Irfanview and love it, but didn’t know you could store pictures in it. I will have to take another look in it. I got a new computer and I used to store my pictures in PaperPort but it is so old that XP won’t install it. Thanks Bill.

"Ben T" wrote in message
Stinkweed,
You really don’t need a program to store your photos. Back to basics. Photos
are stored on your hard drive and not within Elements. Elements opens your photos for you to work on them.

In Elements 2, File > Open, browse to your folder ( My Pictures ? ) where your photos are stored and double click the photo you want to open in Elements 2.

A free program that many think highly of can be downloaded from here; http://www.irfanview.com/
Ben

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,

William Rail

S
Stinkweed
Nov 15, 2004
Thanks for your help Markeau, I have put it in favorites for now.

"Markeau" wrote in message
Stinkweed wrote:
Can you recommend
a reasonalble priced program just to store the pictures in that is easy to use.

ACDSee … they have a free trial:
http://www.acdsystems.com/english/Products/ACDSee/index?LAN= englishX70

BT
Ben T
Nov 15, 2004
Stinkweed
These programs do not store photos, they just access them and when your done and you save them they go back to your hard drive.
Ben

I have Irfanview and love it, but didn’t know you could store pictures in it. I will have to take another look in it. I got a new computer and I used to store my pictures in PaperPort but it is so old that XP won’t install it. Thanks Bill.

"Ben T" wrote in message
Stinkweed,
You really don’t need a program to store your photos. Back to basics. Photos
are stored on your hard drive and not within Elements. Elements opens your
photos for you to work on them.

Ben

"Ben T" wrote in message
William,

William Rail

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections