CW
Posted By
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A few postings down revealed the sad loss of Grant Dixon’s hard drive. At least I assume that it had gone to that great PC in the sky and was not merely lost under the Gigabytes of data.

Most of us are aware of backing up our images and other data but how many of us actually consider backing up our OS, Programs, Service Packs and Updates. Recreating a hard drive can take days.

On my setup I have two hard drives. The second one is an identical copy of the first. You can do this with programs such as Maxblast from Maxtor. Powerquest (Symantec) have similar programs which can create a single file which is an exact image of your whole drive.

Using this it takes just a few minutes to switch to the other drive to boot. The only loss is that data which was created since the last backup.

Colin

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

J
JesusIsGod
Sep 1, 2004
Excellent point, excellent advice. Norton Ghost is a popular product for duplicating drives, too. I sorrily confess that I still haven’t Ghosted my drive like I’ve been planning. It’s always "next weekend". Have to make sure it’s this weekend or earlier. It simply is not possible to re-take all of those pictures again.

It’s also very adviseable to back up your drive before applying major software changes/patches like WindowsXP SP2, incidentally. That way if you blue-screen after the install you won’t lose everything.

Robert Ash
J
JesusIsGod
Sep 1, 2004
It’s also very adviseable to back up your drive before applying major software changes/patches like WindowsXP SP2, incidentally.

For more details on this topic:

< http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml? articleId=23905071>

Robert
K
KnockKnock
Sep 1, 2004
I perform a monthly Ghost backup of my entire primary Raid system which takes about an hour but every evening I hit the button on my Maxtor One Touch external drive to perform an incremental backup of the Raid system that only takes minutes.

< < < All outgoing e-mail scanned with NAV2004 > > >

wrote in message
It’s also very adviseable to back up your drive before applying
major
software changes/patches like WindowsXP SP2, incidentally.

For more details on this topic:
< http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml? articleId=23905 071>
Robert

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections