WJ
Posted By
William_Jay
Aug 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When working on photo’s do you guys normally work on the pictures with the "proof colors" option on while you are correcting, or do you just use it prior to printing to soft proof? Also, how do you save your files, for example I might print the same picture several times to different papers, to fine art, glossy or matte paper down the road. If I made adjustments based on the "proof color" image then they will be wrong for each individual paper, do I have to recorrect all my adjustments each time I want to print.. or do you just do some basic changes for different papers after doing the major corrections with the "proof colors" option off, and then minor adjustments to the "proof colors" option when soft proofing?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 17, 2007
do I have to recorrect all my adjustments each time I want to print..

No. Go to the manufacturer’s web site and download the latest icc profiles for each type of media you are printing on. Used correctly, the profile will make the adjustments on-the-fly at the time of printing.

<http://www.computer-darkroom.com> has some excellent articles on colour management.
SP
Sid_Phillips
Aug 17, 2007
Chris is right. If you have good profiles for your printer then the output should pretty much match your displayed image. But I always soft-proof to the target profile to see if any major color-shifts occur. Then correct for the soft-proof if necessay and save that as a new file, targeted for that output device.

I rarely have to do edits unless I’m going to an offset press – then I often have to do some serious color-correction. But output to inkjets usually require little or no correction to get the closest match.
WJ
William_Jay
Aug 17, 2007
Thanks Chris and Sid, what I am noticing is that when I have the image looking exactly how I want it on screen then "soft proof" with say my pro 3800 glossy, the colors look flat, and the overal picture looks flat and cloudy which is dead on to the print so the "soft proof" was accurate. But if I then making some minor adjustments to the image with the "soft proof" active, it also prints perfectly. So my question is, Is that normal to have to make minor adjustments to "soft proof" images to get the correct print.
WJ
William_Jay
Aug 17, 2007
My goal is to be able to have one file archived and be able to get consistant re-prints time after time, but what adjustments look good on glossy, may not look right on matte or fine art paper. So are you guys saying I should tweak a file for each paper type then save the individual files.?
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 17, 2007
So are you guys saying I should tweak a file for each paper type then save the individual files.?

No. Far from it. You should get hold of the correct icc profile for each type of media that you intend using. Always stick to the printer manufacturer’s inks and download the latest profiles for their different media.

Set the Print setting to "Let Photoshop control the Colours" and set the profile to that of the paper being used. then make sure "No Colour Adjustment" is set in the printer driver.

This way you should get consistent results whether you print on glossy, matt, canvas or what-have-you.

Did you follow the link in post #!?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections