BP
Posted By
Brian_Peart
Aug 10, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Although not strictly a Photoshop issue, I would be pleased to hear if there is a cure for the mysterious disappearance of the 3GB switch from my boot.ini file.

My installation of CS3 runs perfectly, but it is much happier with the /3GB switch added to the boot.ini file. However, I keep noticing that if Photoshop seems slow and I check how much RAM is available and being used, it has dropped down to a level that suggests that ‘only’ 2GB of RAM is available. If I then check boot.ini, the 3GB switch has disappeared (again)! So, if I add the switch (again!) and reboot, Photoshop will use the full 3GB of RAM in my PC.

So the question is Why does the switch keep disappearing? I open the boot.ini file with a right-click and Open, edit the file in Wordpad and save. Is that wrong?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 10, 2007
Check regularly to see when the file is changing back. Is it every reboot? Once a week? When a certain program has run? That might give you a clue as to whether it is a program doing it, or a backup/restore utility, or a network, or what.

I would be using notepad rather than wordpad, which I think produces non-ascii files.
I
ID._Awe
Aug 10, 2007
Change the boot.ini to ‘ready only’ under properties.
DH
Dennis_Hallinan
Aug 10, 2007
How can I access my boot.ini file? Thanks

Dennis Hallinan

I did a search (including hidden files) with no results.
I
ID._Awe
Aug 10, 2007
The boot.ini file is at the root of the drive where you put your OS, usually c:\.
DH
Dennis_Hallinan
Aug 10, 2007
Thanks ID…found it.

Dennis

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections