Worlds Largest Photo and Worlds Largest Camera…

RB
Posted By
Robert_Barnett
Aug 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
A friend of mine sent me the link for this. The photo (1 single photo) measures 28 feet by 108 feet. The camera they used to take this shot was an aircraft hanger. It has been certified by Guinness as the worlds largest photograph.

http://www.legacyphotoproject.com/

Robert

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer πŸ”₯πŸ”₯πŸ”₯

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CH
clifford_hager
Aug 9, 2007
Cool… Art Center is my Alma Mater
Too bad you can’t tell what the image is from this site!
B
Buko
Aug 9, 2007
Yes you can you just have to look?
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 9, 2007
What an awful web site!
DE
david_evanson
Aug 9, 2007
Do you think if they ever put a digital back on it Photoshop could handle the file size? πŸ™‚

CS30 maybe?
RB
Robert_Barnett
Aug 9, 2007
They tell you what it is. But, that isn’t like being able to actually see it. What they need to do is send someone in with a digital camera have them photographic as a panorama, stitch it together and then put that on the web. Then we could see it. πŸ™‚

Robert
RB
Robert_Barnett
Aug 9, 2007
wrote in message
Do you think if they ever put a digital back on it Photoshop could handle the file size? πŸ™‚

CS30 maybe?

Come on Adobe you can do. We expect this image size support in Photoshop CS4 The Way Too Extended Edition! πŸ™‚

Robert
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 10, 2007
All very interesting, but perhaps someone could give even a remote reason as to why you’d bother?

Gives the word "pointless" meaning.

Agreed on the website design as well.
Gross and clunky.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Aug 10, 2007
wrote in message
All very interesting, but perhaps someone could give even a remote reason as to why you’d bother?

Gives the word "pointless" meaning.

Agreed on the website design as well.
Gross and clunky.

Because they could. Because it has never been done before. Because it is interest… even fascinating.

Robert
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 10, 2007
Hey, when the 300 terapixel cameras come out in few years, we can beat the record. Photoshop CS23 will allow 3 billion pixels x 3 billion pixels.
G
grahamtav
Aug 10, 2007
I am sure the technology is a great step forward – the website is pointless!
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Aug 11, 2007
Forward Technology? It’s just a very large camera obscura. The technology is a thousand years old.

Plus, I hate it when web sites use JavaScript to resize my browser.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 11, 2007
you can turn that off in firefox john… πŸ™‚
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Aug 11, 2007
Unfortunately, IE is a requirement for a site I visit frequently πŸ™
RB
Robert_Barnett
Aug 11, 2007
Well the web site like all Flash sites I have seen sucks.

Robert
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 11, 2007
Unfortunately, IE is a requirement for a site I visit frequently

You can turn IE view on either temporarily, or permanently for selected sites, in Firefox too.
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 11, 2007
It’s just a very large camera obscura.

Which is why I said this was pointless. Just like re-inventing the wheel would be. The only thing of passing interest is the size, but who really cares? Just like some guy stuffing a heap of hot dogs into his mouth to get into the Guinness Book of Records, this is nothing more than that.

I think we were not given a good look at the "photograph" because, if I know even the most basic thing about silver-gelatin photography, that is the biggest paper negative ever produced.

Making a print of it would equally prove nothing – contact printing has been around since the invention of Calotype photography was announced in 1839 by William Henry Fox Talbot.
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Aug 11, 2007
Taking what they showed, adjusting the persective, inverting, and a quick Levels adjustment yields

<http://photobucket.com>

Beauty!
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 12, 2007
If that’s hanging as it was taken, you’d have to rotate it 180ΒΊ as well.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 12, 2007
that is the biggest paper negative ever produced

Could also be reversal paper (positive) that’s also used in passport photo booths.

But I agree, there’s no "wow!" in this.

Rob
FN
Fred_Nirque
Aug 12, 2007
In the absence of any useful information about it on the website (none that I could find anyway with that infuriating Flash setup opening links on the same screen and requiring tedious backtracking), I’ll correct myself and call it the biggest canvas negative ever produced. On reflection I can’t see paper that size either being made or holding together when hung like that even if it was available.

Looks like they just mixed up loads of standard emulsion and coated the material using paint rollers. I’d imagine processing was accomplished in the same manner.

Imagination = 0, technology = 0, interest = 0

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections