ST
Posted By
Stuart_Thomas
Aug 9, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has there been a radical change to how JPEGS are compressed? For several years I have been producing thumbnail images (240 px wide by 150 px high) of product photos. Under XP with CS2 the files were averaging around 19Kb with quality setting at 7. In my Vista/CS3 environment the same image, saved at the same quality and format is 40Kb. This doubling is fairly consistent and can be replicated. The only thing I can imagine might cause this is if JPEG now have a larger metadata portion than before. Anyone else encountered this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Aug 9, 2007
Use Save For Web
ST
Stuart_Thomas
Aug 18, 2007
Buku, thanks for the advice. However, although saving for web does indeed result in a smaller file size, it doesn’t answer why the files have suddenly started getting bigger.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Aug 18, 2007
Stuart,

Maybe now you include a profile?

Rob
BD
Brett Dalton
Aug 20, 2007
About to say the same thing, including profiles in (particularly) small Jpgs will bloat the size dramatically. it might be on by default now.

BRETT

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections