Posted By
David_Freed
Aug 7, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I open a raw file in the converter, the WB default is "As Shot."

All well and good, but here’s the deal: I shot this image using the "Flash" WB setting on the camera (in part, because I was shooting with flash), but when I select "Flash" WB setting in converter, it is slighlty different than the "As Shot" WB setting.

However, my first assumption is that they should be the same: with the ‘As Shot’ WB applying the WB settingn from the camera and the "Flash" WB setting interpreting it in the converter. ???

My guess here is that in the converter, the ‘as shot’ setting applies the WB from the camera (flash), and the ‘flash’ WB in the converter is applying its interpretation of flash WB, which might be slightly different than the camera’s???

Any thoughts?

David.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer šŸ”„šŸ”„šŸ”„

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CH
clifford_hager
Aug 7, 2007
My guess here is that in the converter, the ‘as shot’ setting applies the WB from the camera (flash), and the ‘flash’ WB in the converter is applying its interpretation of flash WB, which might be slightly different than the camera’s???

This is exactly right. Neither the camera or the software are usually exactly where you wnat it anyway.
So, if you are going to RAW processing, you are there to fine tune all of the image settings to your preferance. The white balance on the camera and in the CS2 processor are both starting points. You use the slider to adjust it to exactly how you want it.

If your settings were correct in the camera, you shoule have very little adjustment to make. If you’re like me, you will sometimes forget to change the white balance to a new setting so processing in RAW sometimes is a life saver. Those first couple of shots before you look on the screen and see everything blue or orange are no cause for concern anymore.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections