MG
Posted By
Max_Guernsey
Aug 6, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Lesson 6 is about Masks and Channels. In creating the mask the book instructs you to use a 65 pixel SOFT brush to paint the mask. Why? It would seem to me that is like cutting the rubylith with a dull knife, so wouldn’t it be better to use one of the hard brushes to paint the mask? Am I missing something?

I am looking forward to your replies.

Max

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Aug 6, 2007
Depends on what you’re masking and how you want to mask it. Without having a copy of the book to look at it’s impossible to say.

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that there’s probably a very good reason that the CIAB tutorial recommends the brush options it does for that particular lesson.

Unless it’s a mistake?
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 6, 2007
It would seem to me that is like cutting the rubylith with a dull knife, so wouldn’t it be better to use one of the hard brushes to paint the mask?

Not necessarily. It might be to get a smoother transition for whatever the tutorial is trying to accomplish. To use the knife metaphor, this would be the equivalent to using a mask layered with several layers of acetate between to blur the edges.

Why not try the tutorial twice, once with hard and once soft, and see the difference. A great way to learn.
GK
Graeme_Kaufman
Aug 6, 2007
As others have said – it all depends. Most times, I use a hard brush and then use Refine Edges to fine tune it.

Haven’t got my copy of CIAB here at work – but I’ll check it out tonight and see if I can give a more definitive answer.
GK
Graeme_Kaufman
Aug 6, 2007
Max

I had a look at that chapter, and I agree with you a hard brush would have been much better for several reasons (sharper edge, quicker filling of body of statue).

Only reason I can think of is they wanted to create a very rough mask first, then show you how to edit it – I note on page 181 they eventually suggest a hard-edge small brush to clean up the edge.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections