i_am_jim
Aug 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Take a look at this image
http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/5696/nonamefr9.jpg

This has been happening to me through at least three versions of photoshop. It causes me to use JPEG instead of TIFF, which I’d rather not do, so I finally decided to try to figure out what’s wrong.

The original image was created in PS, then saved as a TIFF and imported into Corel Draw. The screwed up area outlined in red is a lower layer, not used for the purpose of this particular use for image.

When viewing the image in PS, even with this layer "visible" — meaning the eyeball is ON — the layer cannot be seen (that is, it’s completely covered by the layers above it. In spite of it not being visible, I make the layer invisible (turn off the eyeball). I then flatten the image before saving as a TIFF.

In spite of all this when the image is imported into Corel Draw it’s screwed up the way shown in the link above. Surely somewhere in three revisions PS should have fixed this problem but apparently not. So, what’s causing this (other than an obvious bug in PS) and how do I correct it?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Aug 5, 2007
You question[s] is [are] incomprehensible.

We don’t know WHAT part of that is "the original image." All of it?

We don’t know what it looked like before moving into Corel Draw, and after.

"Screwed up area?" We have no idea what it’s supposed to look like when it isn’t screwed up.

We have no idea what you expect to have happen, and how it’s different from what you’re seeing, and why TIFF or JPEG makes a difference

Sorry, but you’re asking for a boatload of mindreading here.
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 5, 2007
other than an obvious bug in PS

Perhaps an obvious bug in CorelDRAW? But as already noted you haven’t given us anywhere enough info. No versions of Photoshop or CorelDRAW are mentioned here.

Bob
C
chrisjbirchall
Aug 5, 2007
"How To Get Help Quickly" </cgi-bin/webx?50>
IA
i_am_jim
Aug 5, 2007
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 10:47:56 -0700, Bob Levine wrote:
you haven’t given us anywhere enough info. No versions of Photoshop or CorelDRAW are mentioned here.

I think the only information missing was specific versions of PS, and perhaps the fact that I’m running XP SP2. When I said "This has been happening to me through at least three versions of photoshop," that would be CS, CS2 and CS3. Actually, I think it goes back further but I can’t be sure of that.

The problem cannot be caused by CorelDraw because (as I understand it) the layer outlined in red should not have been saved by PS at all, thus it should not have been available to CD. The problem is with PS.
IA
i_am_jim
Aug 5, 2007
This is what the image looks like as a JPEG
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6326/lilyposterdr5.jpg
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 5, 2007
What happens when if you place the TIF in InDesign?

Bob
JR
John_R_Nielsen
Aug 5, 2007
The problem cannot be caused by CorelDraw because (as I understand it) the layer outlined in red should not have been saved by PS at all, thus it should not have been available to CD

So, when you save as a TIFF, you DO have "Discard Layers and Save as a Copy" selected in the TIFF Options dialog, right? Otherwise the layer sure will be saved.
IA
i_am_jim
Aug 6, 2007
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 15:24:04 -0700, Bob Levine wrote:

What happens when if you place the TIF in InDesign?

I don’t have "InDesign"
IA
i_am_jim
Aug 6, 2007
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 16:04:16 -0700,
wrote:

you DO have "Discard Layers and Save as a Copy" selected in the TIFF Options dialog, right? Otherwise the layer sure will be saved.

Even if the image has been flattened and the hidden layers discarded?
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 6, 2007

No, but in the original message you just said that the eyeball was turned off, not that the layer was discarded. Did you try John’s suggestion?
IA
i_am_jim
Aug 6, 2007
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 21:14:11 -0700, wrote:

No, but in the original message you just said that the eyeball was turned off, not that the layer was discarded. Did you try John’s suggestion?

Do you know a way to flatten an image without discarding hidden layers?
B
Bernie
Aug 6, 2007
Flatten the image and save a copy of the file.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections