Posted By
Obsidian Tyranitar
Apr 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello.
I have an image that someone sent me to be colored in Photoshop 6. Problem is, the outlines are too fat due to the inking pen they used before scanning.

Is there some kind of filter (freeware or included with Photoshop) or other method of reducing outlines down to a few px without having to manually redraw the image?

I _do not_ have a tablet, so I’m stuck using a mouse.

Obsidian Tyranitar

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

E
edjh
Apr 3, 2004
Obsidian Tyranitar wrote:
Hello.
I have an image that someone sent me to be colored in Photoshop 6. Problem is, the outlines are too fat due to the inking pen they used before scanning.

Is there some kind of filter (freeware or included with Photoshop) or other method of reducing outlines down to a few px without having to manually redraw the image?

Try Filter>Other> Maximize set to 1 or 2 pixels. Results may vary depending on the image.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Batman art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
U
Uni
Apr 3, 2004
Hello.

Can you capture the outlined image (make a selection) and enlarge it ever so slightly to cover the outline?

Uni

W
wes
Apr 3, 2004
Similar to Uni, use the magic wand to select the areas outside of the outlines, then modify the selection by expanding it into the black lines, then deleting. Do this on a copy of course.

"Uni" wrote in message
Hello.
I have an image that someone sent me to be colored in Photoshop 6.
Problem
is, the outlines are too fat due to the inking pen they used before scanning.

Is there some kind of filter (freeware or included with Photoshop) or
other
method of reducing outlines down to a few px without having to manually redraw the image?

Can you capture the outlined image (make a selection) and enlarge it ever so slightly to cover the outline?

Uni

O
Odysseus
Apr 6, 2004
In article <ujybc.604$>,
edjh wrote:

Try Filter>Other> Maximize set to 1 or 2 pixels. Results may vary depending on the image.

Another trick is to apply a smallish Gaussian blur, in effect creating a gradient around the linework, then use the Levels dialog to determine where the "threshold" between black and white regions will fall.

Odysseus

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections