DC
Posted By
d_cole
Jul 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had to uninstall and reinstall CS3 yesterday (and Corel Painter too). I am running Vista Ultimate with a Quad Core Q6600, Asus P5B Deluxe mobo, 4Gb ram, and Gigabyte 7600GT vga card. CS3 took 45 minutes to uninstall and about the same to reinstall. Painter X too – even the SP1 upgrade to PX took 20 minutes.

CS3 is quick to start up but slow to open images; good on filters and other operations.

Printer is an Epson 2400 directly connected to the pc (not networked).

Grateful for any ideas on what might be causing this very slow in- and un-installing problems with Vista. It’s very irritating.

Thanks

David

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jul 29, 2007
David,

I’m not sure that there is any good explanation other than to say that Adobe has a very poor installer for CS3. Some folks, such as myself, have had no problems, but there do seem to be enough who are having problems that you’d think Adobe would speak up about it and give us some idea of what is being done to address this issue.

Daryl
B
babaloo
Jul 29, 2007
What you are describing is very typical for Vista.
All file operations are time by your wristwatch slower than under XP–I have yet to see a review of Vista which does not describe this behavior, one of the many reasons no one should use Vista.
I have Vista in a dual boot configuration and it is astounding how slow Vista is to install, uninstall and perform most routine disc access chores. CS3 behaves well otherwise under Vista. However there is information out there that every time you get one of those idiot warning boxes asking you twice if you want to do the simple thing you clicked on to do that Vista unloads the calibration data from your video card. If this is true then color management is iffy as you may not be aware, unless you manually reload the data (bothersome but not difficult to do), that you have lost monitor calibration/color management while using Photoshop.
This is the main reason, besides that Vista is so slow it negates the speed of your CPU, that Vista is not the best choice for running Photoshop. Caveat emptor.
DC
d_cole
Jul 29, 2007
Daryl – thanks for you reply. It’s curious because on my first installation of Vista, installation/uninstallation of CS3 and other software was not a problem. I did wonder whether it might be the result of too much ram (4Gb) for my 32bit OS. I think it’s fair to say that all my installations etc are now slow – which suggests a Vista problem rather than a CS3 one. But I don’t know.

David
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jul 29, 2007
It’s not the 4GB factoring in, as that’s what I’m running in a dual-boot XP/Vista configuration where PS CS3 installed fine under both O/S, taking perhaps 15 minutes to install. But, I’ve seen one case where at the point of shared components being installed, the installer just sat for 15 minutes without showing any progress. The system in this case had only 512MB RAM and I was merely installing PS CS3 on it for the sake of comparison. The complete install took about 40 minutes and likewise the uninstall was of similar length; that was under Windows XP.

I recently had to rebuild my WinXP configuration from a Nov. ’06 drive image after Norton Internet Security 2007 crapped out on a live update patch, requiring an uninstall of NIS2007 only to subsequently find it would then not reinstall. After exhausting all possiblities, I decided to bite the bullet and go back in time, concerned somewhat that PS CS3 wouldn’t as easily install the 2nd time around. Fortunately I was wrong and the installation went smoothly. All I can guess from that experience is perhaps my system is overall rather "clean" in its software environment, drivers, etc. A good majority of what I have installed is all the latest version of a given driver or software product, with relatively few updated installations that could have left unused files behind.

Regards,

Daryl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections