D
Posted By
Diamanter
Jul 29, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I press any button on the keyboard (including CapsLock and Win, but excluding Alt, Ctrl, Shift buttons) Photoshop starts tensely working with my hard disk. It continues all the time I hold the button and it finishes only after a second since I release it.

* I found this behaviour on Windows Vista only.
* Resource Monitor shows that photoshop.exe process reads the disk with about 500MB/min during button press. What is it trying to find?
* It happens even if no one window is opened.
* Performance settings (cache level, RAM, scratch disks settings) don’t influence this behaviour.

It makes some operation noticeable slower, for example, Space+drag works slower than Hand tool selected on Tool panel with the mouse.

It’s noisy, I heard this disk sound on XP only if the system has no resources dramatically.

My system: Core2Duo, 2GB of memory, Nvidia 8600, 160GB disk (Vista performance rating is 5.2).

How can I fix it?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 29, 2007
I don’t think Vista is supported by Phooshop.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 29, 2007
What version of Photoshop? Anything earlier than CS3 is unsupported.

Bob
D
Diamanter
Jul 31, 2007
Photoshop CS3. I tries to run it in "Windows XP emulation mode", but with no success.
D
Diamanter
Jul 31, 2007
Actually, every operation (not only button press) causes 1-2 seconds of disk working. Overall performance is very poor…
I have enough of free RAM and more then 60GB free disk space.

I have similar problem with performance in Flash CS3 but I fixed it using "Windows XP compatibility mode".
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 31, 2007
Did you trash/reset Preferences as per the FAQs?

Aside from that, no ideas.
D
Diamanter
Jul 31, 2007
Yep, Ctrl-Alt-Shift doesn’t help…
CP
Cleveland_Park
Aug 1, 2007
The best thing you can do is to get rid of Vista. It damned near put me out of business with incompatibility issues!!!
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 1, 2007
ok cleveland. i agree with you, but we get it. now please stop spamming every thread with this crud. <sigh>
D
Diamanter
Aug 5, 2007
That’s fun, but CS2 works about 5 times faster with Vista for my configuration. Waiting for some patch or trick to repair CS3 on Vista…

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections