MI
Posted By
Ms_Innocent
Jul 26, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For some reason my modify doesn’t work. I have Photoshop cs3. I am trying to expand some text, I have the text selected, I go to the select tab, but modify is not highlighted. Its acting like I don’t have anything selected :/ But I do. I usually use fireworks, but I am following a tutorial that is for Photoshop, so i am not as familiar with Photoshop. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 26, 2007
The items under Select>Modify only work with active selections (marching ants) not "live" text.

This is true of the entire Select menu. It is specific to pixel based selections.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 26, 2007
It might help if we had a better idea of what you are trying to do.
MI
Ms_Innocent
Jul 26, 2007
< http://www.crunked-designs.com/tutorials.php?subaction=showf ull&id=1100060903&archive=&start_from=&ucat= 1&amp >;

That tutorial lol. I don’t know what active selections and "live" text means. :/
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 26, 2007
If you read that tutorial carefully, it asks you to Ctrl+click the text layer. This makes a selection (marching ants) based upon the transparency. The Select>Modify operation expands the selection by 2 pixels not the text.
MI
Ms_Innocent
Jul 26, 2007
I understand that. I did read the tutorial, and I DID ctrl+click the text layer. I just tried again to make sure. In the layers window, it shows the text highlighted, which i’m assuming means its selected. The select>modify operation, however is still not becoming available.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 27, 2007
No. If the text is highlighted it’s not an active selection. I bet you double-clicked the T maybe, not Ctrl-clicked.

You need "marching ants" type of selection. Another way would be to go to Select>Load Selection.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 27, 2007
Or Right click the T in the text layer (in the layers palette) and choose "Select Pixels" from the flyout menu.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections