Posted By
Kris_Allen
Jul 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I’ve been using Flash and Photoshop for quite a while now. I recently formatted the PC and reinstalled Windows, and since then, both apps have been exhibiting this extremely annoying ‘flickering’… it seems like the whole screen is being refreshed, but is taking a split second to draw. This happens once every couple of seconds/minutes, I think it depends on how much activity is going on in the window.

It’s distracting, to say the least, and strange because the majority of my system (including all of the hardware) is the same as it was before formatting. This doesn’t happen on any other apps – seems to be an Adobe thing.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or know how it could be fixed?

Thanks,
Kris.

——————————–

Photoshop version: 8.0
Flash version: 9.0
RAM: 1.5gb
Free disk space: ~17gb on C:\
CPU: AMD Sempron 1.8ghz
Video card: ATI Sapphire x1650 pro (also happened with NVidia Geforce 4 ti 4200 so I guess it’s not that)

——————————–

edit: I know this isn’t a Photoshop specific problem but PS seems worst affected, and it’s the one I’d rather fix first since I use it the most.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 25, 2007
try turning down video card hardware acceleration in display> settings> advanced> troubleshooting. if it clears up get the latest driver for your video card.
CH
clifford_hager
Jul 25, 2007
Sounds like you didn’t re-install the video drivers.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 25, 2007
That’s what I was thinking.
KA
Kris_Allen
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks for the replies,

I definitely did install the drivers because I’ve been playing 3D games since I reinstalled! I’ve just reinstalled the latest ones for good measure, and I’ve tried tuning the hardware accel. options to every setting, and disabling write combining. The flickering still persists on every option. Eek 🙁

Kris
TG
Tom Glowka
Jul 25, 2007
Have you checked your refresh rate on your monitor settings? Try changing to 60Hz or 75Hz.
KA
Kris_Allen
Jul 25, 2007
hmmm that doesn’t seem to make any difference, either.
Sorry, when I said ‘whole screen’ I just mean the PS/Flash window itself, not the desktop. I’m pretty sure by now that it’s nothing to do with my monitor or graphics card – is it possible that this is a bug in the software?
I
ID._Awe
Jul 25, 2007
Umm, this is known problem with the Catalyst drivers. I just forked out big bucks for a FireGL 5200 only to have the same problem. I have tried earlier drivers and it still does not change. This just sucks horribly. ATI sucks and nVidia sucks too.

Wish I’d gotten another Matrox card. Ummmm F@#^ 🙁
KA
Kris_Allen
Jul 25, 2007
Ahhh, wait! Do you have Microsoft Intellipoint by any chance?

I did a quick google search to do with catalyst drivers and adobe, and came to a forum with someone else having the problem. Someone mentioned that the magnifier feature that comes with intellipoint mice is the culprit. I tried closing it (ipoint.exe) and voila – the problem’s solved!

Thanks for the help everyone 😀
I
ID._Awe
Jul 25, 2007
Nope, never use the MS Intellipoint drivers, so don’t hold your breath, put ‘ATI flicker’ in Google and see what happens.
RD
Rob_Dean
Jul 31, 2007
I believe I’ve had this problem with an NVIDIA nForce FX 5200.

There’s a really irritating effect which is as if the image in Photoshop 6 vanishes and is immediately re-drawn line by line. It happens quite unpredictably with an interval maybe 30s to 2 mins.

This occurred after I reinstalled my entire XP system due to unrelated problems. I’m now trying the system with rolled-back video drivers…
I
ID._Awe
Aug 6, 2007
I’ve rolled back the Catalyst drivers, but have not found the one that works. I got the impression that this started with v5 of the drivers, but I cannot see crippling a $600 card by going back that far. I am considering returning the card.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections