SS
Posted By
Selwyn_Silberblatt
Jul 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop 6.0 and CS2 both installed. I use CS2 but sometimes things open up in 6.0 which annoys me. I want to keep 6.0 installed in case CS2 gets corrupted and I don’t want to interrupt my workflow to reinstall – reconfigure preferences etc. until I have some time after work.
In other words – I like to have 6.0 as a backup for instant use.

Is there a way I can keep it installed on my system but disable it temporarily? What would happen if I just changed .exe to some make believe thing like ".xzy" I know that sounds crazy, but I would think there must be a way to disable a program temporarily.

Selwyn

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 25, 2007
You need to get your file associations organised in Windows Explorer (and maybe Bridge, which seems to have its own).

No need for anything else.
SS
Selwyn_Silberblatt
Jul 25, 2007
I know how to do that one at a time by using the "open with" command when I right click a file. But HOW do I "organize my file associations" as you have suggested?

Maybe I should just trust CS2 to keep working. I do have the original disk.

Thanks.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 25, 2007
In Windows Explorer go to Tools > Folder Options… > File Types

Scroll down to the file type you want to change.

You can select the application to open the file.

Click "Advanced" to add other functions like "edit" if you want that to be different.

<http://imageshack.us>
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jul 25, 2007
Selwyn,

Even if you use the Open With trick, you don’t have to do one at a time. Click Browse and navigate to Photoshop.exe (the correct one) and make sure Always Use This Program… is checked.
SS
Selwyn_Silberblatt
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks Guys. What seems to have worked quite easily was to right click a file, then select "choose program." After that opened up a list of programs, I checked "Always use this program." BTW, I didn’t find "Always use this program." in any of the "properties" tabs when I right clicked the .exe program icon. But that did inspire me to cruise through the preferences where I discovered "use mouse wheel to resize." I checked that and will now see if I like it.

If the above doesn’t work, then I will do as John Joslin has illustrated – but I don’t think I’ll have to, as the photoshop 6 icons have changed to CS2 icons — at least in the folders that I checked. (I have photshop files all over the place).

Thanks all.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections