P
Posted By
pro2cer604
Jul 15, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve recently received and installed the upgrade from CS2 to CS3. However, for not reason at all it keeps crashing on me. I’ve never had a problem with CS2. I’m not really doing anything in particular, sometimes it crashes when I’m editing font or when I’m resizing a gfx or simply repositioning the window. It freezes and does not respond. I’ve never used CS3 to create anything because it keeps crashing before I’m finished. Not a problem with CS2.

I’m running:
2.66ghz E6700 LGA775 Core 2
2 gig ram
VNidia FX1500
XP with SP2

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BL
Bob Levine
Jul 15, 2007
There’s another thread here someplace on crashing that seems to point a finger at Intellipoint software. If you have that installed you might try uninstalling it.

Bob
P
pro2cer604
Jul 16, 2007
Hey Bob,

Thanks for the suggestion, I"m not running intellipoint currently so it must be something else… very frustrating. =(

ARgh!
NM
Nicholas_McGuigan
Jul 17, 2007
I am getting a similar problem and have just posted a bug report on the topic. I did do some digging and came up with the following:

Error Signature
AppName: photoshop.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.0 ModName: msvcr80.dll ModVer: 8.0.50727.163 Offset: 0000892c

The error module is part of the MS C Runtime. The CS3 product is distributed with several copies of this. Each copy has a version number of 8.0.50727.42. However, the crash occurs in a module with the same name but a different version number, namely 8.0.50727.163. For some reason, Photoshop CS3 is not picking up the module it is distributed with.

I scanned my system and found two other copies of msvcr80.dll, both in the WinSxS Global Assembly Cache. One was a 43 and the other was a 163. This would appear to be the culprit.

I am now unsure how to proceed. I have no knowledge of the Global Assembly Cache. I tried renaming the 168 module but when I started Photoshop CS3, I got a nasty message saying it couldn’t initialise. All the other CS3 programs did the same.

There must be some way to force the program to pick up the distributed msvcr80.dll module. I won’t guarantee the issue will go away but it is a good place to start.

In the meantime, all the CS3 components are a bit flaky but none are as bad as Photoshop which is unusable. I have told all my customers not to consider an upgrade until this issue is resolved.

Any sugestions?

Nick McGuigan
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 17, 2007
is the .42 version in the same folder as the photoshop.exe file? if not put it there. sometimes an app will look in it’s home folder first for a needed dll.
P
pro2cer604
Jul 18, 2007
wow, good diggin Nick.

Thanks God this only the upgrade so I fall back on CS2.

You think they would’ve gotten it right by now.. this isn’t v 1.0

If anybody has any other suggestions, please keep them coming so we can resolves this problem ASAP.

K
NM
Nicholas_McGuigan
Jul 18, 2007
Dave,

The .42 version is in the same directory as photoshop.exe. I have tried a couple of things to get it to pick up the local version first but no joy. I will check with a couple of mates tomorrow and see what they say.

Nick

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections