DH
Posted By
Doug_Herrman
Jul 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sharpening digital photos in PS CS3. I’ll set the smart sharpening amount & radius to what looks good in the image; I have ‘Remove’ set to ‘Lens Blur’, and the advance settings are at CS3 default. After I hit the ‘OK’ button in the smart sharp dialogue, the computer performs the change. But I just happened to notice the final image is quite a bit softer than the image ‘smart sharp’ showed me. It doesn’t make any difference if I’m sharpening the background, bkgrd copy, or using ‘smart filters’ – the final image is noticably softer than the image in the smart sharp dialogue. The Unsharp Mask filter is also affected the same way, but to a lesser degree. I assume something isn’t right here, but I don’t know if it’s the program or a setting I need to adjust.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DM
dave_milbut
Jul 4, 2007
are you viewing the image at 100% while sharpening? that’s the only true representation. other zoom levels are approximations and can make you think you’re doing something that doesn’t hold up when you zoom to 100%.
DH
Doug_Herrman
Jul 5, 2007
Dave
Thx. Your suggestion resolved the issue. I always view things at either 100% or 50% because the quality of any other magnification is really poor. I usually use 50% so I can see most of the image (my monitor is only 1024 x 1280 pixels). I didn’t realize there was that big a diff btwn 50% & 100% when it came to sharpening. Thx again.
DM
dave_milbut
Jul 5, 2007
np doug! glad to help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections