Posted By
silencer
Jul 4, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I have made a picture in photoshop and it automatically saves the file as "x.psd" But i want to save it with another extension so I can give it someone who can print it out.

Which extension is the best? Because the quality has to be the same!

grtz,

Sven

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 4, 2007
TIFF files are pretty well universal. It, like the PSD, is a lossless format.

You could also save it as a (maximum quality) Jpeg. However, becasue this is a lossy format you should only save Jpegs after resizing to the actual size they will be printed.
S
silencer
Jul 4, 2007
thank you for the very quick reply!

I have made a project in photoshop with the same measurement as how they will be printed, but if I choose JPEG, you can choose between different options. (Which one should I choose?)

I have choosen:

Matte: None

Image Options:
Quality: 12 Maximum (large file)

Format options:
Baseline ("standard")

BTW: if I choose "Baseline optimized" I will get an error that says that I don’t have enough RAM, but I have 2GB RAM….:s

And what is the difference between "baseline ("standard")", "baseline optimized" and "Progressive"?

Many thanks!!

grtz,

Sven
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 4, 2007
* Matte: None

* Quality: 12 Maximum (large file)

* Baseline ("standard")

….are all the correct Jpeg settings for a file which will be printed. "Optimized" and "Progressive" are for web use.

Don’t forget to keep your master file copy save in a lossless format such as PSD or TIFF. Saving and reopening Jpegs leads to loss of quality.
S
stevent
Jul 4, 2007
Or PDF. Especially if there is type in the document.
S
silencer
Jul 4, 2007
Thanks for your help!!

Really appreciate it!!

I always keep the PSD file in case I have to change something…

grtz,

Sven
TG
Tom Glowka
Jul 5, 2007
Why not just print out the .psd?
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 5, 2007
Most print shops and photolabs won’t handle PSDs. TIFFs should be alright, but many will insist on Jpegs to ease the load on their workflow.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections