JF
Posted By
Jodi Frye
Sep 3, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
please forgive me for this seemingly idiot question but to convert my RGB graphics to CMYK for the print house do I just convert it through the mode button or is there more to it ? The help section really does not tell me if i need to do anything else. Are there other settings that I need to monkey with ? Thanks, try not to laugh too loud at me~ Jodi

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BLUDVLZ
Sep 3, 2003
In it’s simplest form, yes, all you have to do is convert from RGB to CMYK through the mode menu.

A couple other "considerations" if you will, that you may want to take into account, are:

The first would that you should expect to see some color shifting as a result of the process. Reds will tend to look more brown and blues can become more purple. A good way to simulate the end result while working in RGB is to work with the CMYK preview on (Ctrl + Y). At least with this on, you won’t be surprised with any color shift and can correct it long before it may become an issue.

A second thought is that if you work on a color managed system at all, consider the CMYK profile you choose before converting from RGB to CMYK. I tend to use the US Sheetfed Coated v.2 profile, as most of my work is printed on sheetfed offset printers using a coated paper stock. I get some excellent color results on the final product.

What I would suggest is to identify A] what kind of press the project will be printed on, and B] what kind of paper. Then make sure you talk to your printer to see if he has a specific color profile that he would prefer you use (some presses do have specific profiles that can greatly help with the final output quality). Also check with the printer on the amount of dot gain that is typically associated with his printing processes. That way you can accomodate for the gain within the color settings of your file.
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 3, 2003
BLUDVLZ, first off ‘ THANK YOU !!!!’ you are an angel….you’ve answered all my questions with patience and proffessionalism (my word ). Second, thanks for not laughing !

~Jodi 🙂

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections