(Embarrassed) PS CS2: How do I replace a color swatch??

E
Posted By
Emlyn
Jul 3, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
(Yeah, I know: This is like a PS 101 question!)

In PS CS2 I can’t seem to replace an individual color swatch with a new color. It’s shift-click, right?

Very confused :/

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 3, 2007
Sut mai Emlyn.

You need to click the little arrow top right of the palette to get at the fly-out menu.

Hwyl

Chris.
E
Emlyn
Jul 3, 2007
Thanks, but I believe that’s only for replacing/appending an ENTIRE set of swatches, and not just one individual color.

How do you replace the color of ONE swatch (ONE tile)? I’m assuming this is possible??
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 3, 2007
Ah!. Right-click. You’ll get a fly-out menu from which to choose "New Swatch" and "Delete Swatch".

Chris
E
Emlyn
Jul 3, 2007
Hehe, nope! That only appends a new color tile to the END of the existing swatches, but it does not replace or allow updating of the existing tile COLOR.

Hmm, have we really stumbled on a maddeningly obvious omission in CS2!??
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 3, 2007
but it does not replace or allow updating

Erm – what’s the difference between appending and deleting and updating?

Apart from the order?
E
Emlyn
Jul 3, 2007
lol Because I was talking about INDIVIDUAL swatch tiles, not entire collections of tiles (swatches). Adding/appending/deleting those are easy (the flyout menu), but how do you edit the color of ONE tile?

This can be done in Illustrator no problem, so I’m really mystified.
P
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2007
Illustrator works differently. It’s as simple (and as complicated) as that.

Perhaps if you explain exactly why you want to do what you want to do, and what doing it will accomplish for you, better suggestions will be forthcoming.
E
Emlyn
Jul 3, 2007
OK.

I set up my main color swatches in sections…like most people, presumably…for colors that I refer to frequently. Sometimes I do append a whole new color swatch set (for a big job with lots of associated colors, etc.), but mostly I just refer to existing colors and tweak as needed.

While appending new swatches (or tiles) is as easy as pie, what if I want to simply edit ONE existing color tile? Or insert ONE new color tile beside my other frequently used color tiles?

Right now all I can do is *append* a tile to the end of the entire swatch list…which is useless if I’m trying to keep related colors together! Make sense?

The logic here appears to me to be no different from existing functionality in Illustrator…unless I’m missing something.
P
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2007
OK…You already know how to add a custom color to your swatches palette, right?

To move them around, go to Edit’Preset Manager…

Select Swatches from the drop-down menu.

See the new custom swatch you just added? Hover over it, and you’ll see the eyedropper cursor.

Click on the new swatch once, and you’ll see the box adopt a thicker outline; Double-Click on the swatch if you want to give it a name.

If you just want to move it you can click and drag that new swatch anywhere within the rows and columns. A thick "I-Bar" will appear between swatches already in place. When you let up on your mouse button your new swatch will be deposited in that place.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 3, 2007
When you have loaded the colours you want, just go to the Preset Manager from the flyout menu in the Swatches Palette and you can juggle the grouping and order to your heart’s content.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 3, 2007
Snap!
P
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2007
I’m so dang wordy!

😉
P
Phosphor
Jul 3, 2007
Oh, and as for Editing a swatch…

If you click on a swatch in the Swatches Palette it gets loaded into the Foreground color box at the bottom of the Toolbox, right?

Click on THAT box in the Toolbox to access your Color Picker dialog. Tweak the color here, hit enter or click OK, then click on the "New" icon at the bottom of the Swatches Palette.

Then, you’ll have to go to the Preset Manager to move it.

And I agree…we should be able to move swatches around within the Swatches Palette itself…perhaps by holding down another key.
E
Emlyn
Jul 3, 2007
Aha! That’s it!

So that’s what that silly "preset manager" was for! (Wish it could be done without opening a menu, but hey–I’ll take it!)

You guys rock. Hugs & kisses.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections