CO
Posted By
Chimerical One
Jun 28, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Adobe Photoshop CS3 associated itself with BMP and TIF files, and I can’t associate them back with Windows Image and Fax Preview (the default viewer for Windows XP). I’ve tried manually editing the file associations in Control Panel/Folder Options/File Types, but CS3 takes them back right away and prevents me from doing that.

(Using the simplified "Always use selected program to open this kind of file" in "Open with" does not restore the default file type icons, so I prefer not to use that method.)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

TK
Toobi-Won Kenobi
Jun 28, 2007
"Chimerical One" wrote in message
Adobe Photoshop CS3 associated itself with BMP and TIF files, and I can’t associate them back with Windows Image and Fax Preview (the default viewer for Windows XP). I’ve tried manually editing the file associations in Control Panel/Folder Options/File Types, but CS3 takes them back right away and prevents me from doing that.

(Using the simplified "Always use selected program to open this kind of file" in "Open with" does not restore the default file type icons, so I prefer not to use that method.)

The more I read about CS3 the more delermined I am not to bother with it. You should be spending your time using a program, not trying to get it to install/run as it should.
Try going to Tools>folder options and select "file types" select the extension you want to change and click delete. Then you
can right click on the file (BMP, TIFF) and use "open with", pick your fave and tick "always use etc."
If they still open with CS3, then….

Regards

TWK
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 28, 2007
You can change the icons to whatever you want!
CO
Chimerical One
Jun 28, 2007
Eh? Using the "Always use selected program to open this kind of file" method? It doesn’t let us.
G
GirlyQ
Jul 1, 2007
Adobe will not allow me to change the icons for gif’s or jpg’s. What in the world is going on?
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 1, 2007
In Windows Explorer, Tools > Folder Options… > File Types you can set everything up how you want.
CO
Chimerical One
Jul 1, 2007
But the problem is that Photoshop CS3 reclaims the file association right after making changes in ‘Folder Options’/’File Types’.
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 1, 2007
It doesn’t do that here. The only files with a Ps icon are PSDs

It might change if I re-installed CS3 but I don’t propose to try it!
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jul 1, 2007
Are you editing File Types by using the Advanced button or are you just using the Change button?

Advanced lets you direct a path to the application of your choice for specific behaviour such as open,edit, preview etc….
JJ
John_Joslin
Jul 2, 2007
Exactly!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections