HG
Posted By
Horacio_Garcia
Jun 22, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
ok. A little back story. A little while back my computer (well, the family computer) went dead. PC. We got the Blue Screen of Death!:

< http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/bsod.gi f>

Anyway, before i could investigate hot to fix this…..well, actually, i DON’T know what he did. I think he reset it to Factory default settings or something. Anyway, somehow Photoshop CS 2 and a bunch of other programs were still on the computer afterwards. I was ecstatic! So i go to open up photoshop but once it loads up, i get THIS:

< http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v50/hersh23/deadphotoshop. jpg>

So at the present time i can’t use PS. 🙁

I figured i could somehow Uninstall or Delete the program then Install it again, but when i go to Delete, PS CS2 is not among the list of programs i can delete.

Anyway, would anyone happen to know HOW i can go about re-inserting user name, organization and/or serial number so i can go back to Photoshopping!?!?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JR
John_R_Nielsen
Jun 22, 2007
Contact Adobe customer service. If you registered your copy, they can look it up for you.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jun 22, 2007
Horacio,

Don’t bother with uninstalling PS CS2….just simply try reinstalling it to the same location where it exists. If you’re denied that due to an existing installation being detected, try renaming the existing folder "Adobe Photoshop CS2" or whatever it is called, to "Adobe Photoshop CS2 Old" or again whatever you wish to use. Then, again try doing an install to the same path where PS CS2 was originally installed. If that doesn’t work, it may be an entry in the registry is what actually is telling the installer of an existing installation.

So, if neither of these ideas work and only if you’re comfortable with performing Windows Registry edits, you might also try the following to delete what I suspect are the two most likely registry keys that might inform an installer of an existing installation:

1. Launch REGEDIT from the Run window

2. Browse in the left pane of the Registry Editor to the following key location: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersio n\Uninstall]

3. Click on the Key to expand it down one more level, and scroll down to locate the Key "Adobe Photoshop CS2". If found, the look in the right pane to see if there is an entry for an "Uninstall String" key. Mine shows a value of "msiexec /I {236BB7C4-4419-42FD-0409-1E257A25E34D}" which I would expect to be the same for you if you have the U.S. English version. If not, the value might differ.

4. Now, scroll the left pane up until you find an Uninstall key entry that begins with the same value shown in the braces. Right-click on that key in the left pane and select "Export". Save the file to a convenient location and name it something such as CS2_Uninstall_1.reg.

5. Again right-click the key and select Delete.

6. Now, return to the earlier "Adobe Photoshop CS2" key and again, right-click to Export, then save it as perhaps CS2_Uninstall_2.reg. Once saved, right-click and delete that key.

7. Close the Registry Editor.

8. Launch your PS CS2 installer and try the installation again. If this still does not work, more registry edits may be required but I don’t want to start hacking too much into it, so I’ll stop at this point.

9. If the above registry edits were of no help, restore them so your Registry is unchanged. To do so, just locate the .REG file(s) you saved and double-click on them to merge them back into the Windows Registry.

I hope this helps,

Daryl

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections