Posted By
Betsy_gonzalez
Jun 22, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,
I’ve been working on a 1.2 ghz machine since 2001, and last week I finally decided to upgrade–unfortunately I ended up returning the computer because of the same problem Windows had 6 years ago–not enough RAM allocation to photoshop. The bottle neck on my old system was the processor speed of course, but the thing that slowed me down the most was Photoshop’s RAM limit of 1.77 GB. Everyone said "wait a few years to upgrade and you’ll finally be able to allocate more RAM", but this new comp (with Windows Vista 32-bit) still shows up with the same old 1.77 GB of RAM. So i did some research and found this thing called a 3/GB switch which is a code you add to the Boot.ini file to force windows to allocate 3 GB ram to programs (I have 4GB total by the way). Unfortunately Windows Vista no longer HAS a boot.ini– it has something called a BCD. I was on the phone with Windows support and apparently a 3GB switch is not high on their knowledge base. After 5 hours of searching and testing, they decided that a 3/GB switch cannot be used on Windows Vista. I’ve waited 6 years to make this move and it seems nothing has changed..the 1.7 GB bottleneck is the same as it was 6 years ago. Is there any alternate option to the 3GB switch code on a Windows XP operating system? I’m worried about the 3GB switch now because if i buy an XP based machine and it doesn’t work, now I have to return another computer! I’d rather get something that works right off the shelf. Will a Windows 64-bit OS allocate more ram to Photoshop? Does a high end Mac allocate more RAM to Photoshop? If not, what Windows XP situation is guaranteed to work with the switch? Thanks for any help on this!
Greg

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BG
Betsy_gonzalez
Jun 22, 2007
Sorry–i forgot to add… Will the 3GB switch work with Photoshop 7? I have avoided the CS line all together because of slowness.
J
Jim
Jun 22, 2007
wrote in message
Hi all,
<big snip>
The limitation of 2 GB user virtual address space in operating systems for 32 bit cpus is almost universal.
The only recent change (i. e. the last 20 years or so) has been the implementation of the /3GB switch. I cannot address whether Apple allows up to 3 GB user virtual address space or not.

The remaining portion of the total virtual address space is reserved for mapping the operating system into the virtual memory for a given user. This mapping is necessary because the operating system furnishes all of the input/output processing that any program needs.

I should point out that the amount of RAM that a computer has installed has no effect on the amount of virtual address space a given implementatin provides.
The total virtual address space on 32 bit computers is, and always has been, 4 GB. The amount of RAM affects the necessary size of the pagefile and little else.

I don’t know when Adobe added the code necessary to support the increased user virtual address space. It is a matter of slight interest to me because I never need that much. Thus, I have never investigated further.

Jim
CC
Christopher_Carvalho
Jun 22, 2007
To get past 4GB with Vista, you need the 64-bit version. Microsoft’s web site gives these memory limits for the 64-bit editions:

Home Basic 8 GB

Home Premium 16 GB

Ultimate 128+ GB

Business 128+ GB

Enterprise 128+ GB

I tried the 3GB switch on my XP (32 bit Professional SP2) machine a while back, and it caused my graphics adapter (Nvidia Quadro FX 1400) to downgrade the display resolution. There was no way to fix it as far as I could tell. Not all displays and/or adapters may have this issue, but I’d advise to check this out first before buying.

If you use XP 64, you’ll get access to more RAM as long as the motherboard design permits it. Before trying XP64 or Vista 64, you need to do some homework. Make sure the motherboard and BIOS specifically support access to more than 4GB. The processor must be a 64-bit processor. Also be sure all the peripherals you’re using have drivers for XP64 or Vista 64. There were problems with this in the past but most of the popular devices now have drivers on XP. Because Vista is new, there still may be some driver availability issues.

It appears Microsoft will send you a 64-bit DVD for free if you bought a retail packaged product at < http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editi ons/64bit.mspx>
BG
Betsy_gonzalez
Jun 22, 2007
Thanks for the info Chris! Now you see why i don’t want to play with 3/GB switch–I just want a computer that does the job right off the shelf with out experimentaion, code, and uncertainty.
But when you say that 64-bit XP will access more ram, I have to make certain what that means exactly. Will 64-bit XP allocate more than 2 GB of address space to photoshop? If the 64-bit computer simply "sees" more ram on the motherboard, but doesn’t allocate more than 2GB to Photoshop, then I am right back where I started no matter how much RAM i pile into the computer. Right now my "total available ram" in Photoshop says 1777. I’m trying to get that number up. i work on huge billboards and this RAM limitation is a serious problem for me.
Greg
CC
Charlie_Choc
Jun 22, 2007
It’s ‘increaseuserva’ in vista, not the /3GB switch. Take a look at: http://www.prophotowiki.com/w/index.php/IncreaseUserVa

Charlie…
http://www.chocphoto.com
I
ID._Awe
Jun 22, 2007
As per another thread, I posted this:

A system with 8GB of RAM:

Without /3GB or /PAE set:
App gets 2GB and OS only sees 4GB memory

With just /3GB set:
App gets 3GB, OS only sees 4GB

With just /PAE set:
App gets 2GB and OS benefits from full 8GB memory

With /3GB and /PAE set:
App gets 3GB and OS benefits from full 8GB memory

64-bit OS (32-bit Application):
App gets 4GB and OS benefits from full 8GB memory
RB
Robert_Barnett
Jun 23, 2007
And, lets not forget that you will also need a 64-bit version of Photoshop. The 32-bit version has the memory limit because it thinks it working on a 32-bit OS. I figure we are some probably many years off from a 64-bit version of Photoshop. Why? Because the have to redo it from the ground up, at least that is what has been posted here on this subject before by Adobe insiders.

Robert
I
ID._Awe
Jun 23, 2007
Robert:

The memory setting in PS is really only a suggestion as to how the 64bit OS allocates memory to the app. It will give 4GB to PS no matter what you set in the memory setting. MMV depending on how many apps you have running. Further reading suggested that Vista64 will hang onto 2GB and allocate up to 6GB to an app where 8GB is available if only one app is running.

You are giving too much credit to PS on how memory is allocated.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 23, 2007
Christopher et al,

Microsoft lets you ‘upgrade’ to the 64-bit version for free if you buy a 32-bit version? Does that hold true for OEM versions as well? (I noticed the page says ‘for packaged products’).
I
ID._Awe
Jun 23, 2007
For OEM Vista Ultimate, you get one or t’other, not both. (I got the 64bit).

I dont’ think the free upgrade applies to other 32bit OEMs.
MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Jun 23, 2007
But it’s good for all packaged products, then? You can basically get a 64-bit DVD for a shipping fee?
I
ID._Awe
Jun 23, 2007
Yes, it is good for all retail except Home, Vista Ultimate contains both discs.
RB
Robert_Barnett
Jun 23, 2007
wrote in message
Robert:

The memory setting in PS is really only a suggestion as to how the 64bit OS allocates memory to the app. It will give 4GB to PS no matter what you set in the memory setting. MMV depending on how many apps you have running. Further reading suggested that Vista64 will hang onto 2GB and allocate up to 6GB to an app where 8GB is available if only one app is running.

You are giving too much credit to PS on how memory is allocated.

No what I an saying is that PS is a 32-bit program and there for with the one exception of the /3GB switch can only use the memory as it is limited by a 32-bit OS. For it to use than it would in a 32-bit OS it would have to be a 64-bit program design for use with a 64-bit OS. You can’t make a 32-bit application act like a 64-bit one otherwise Adobe wouldn’t have to redo Photoshop from the ground up for Windows 64 (They said this not me).

Robert
I
ID._Awe
Jun 23, 2007
Well, you need to do more homework.
FP
Fredy_P
Jun 25, 2007
well, I have 4GB RAM on 64-bit Vista. Photoshop’s System Info shows: Built-in memory: 4094 MB
Free memory: 2373 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 3255 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 55 %
I
ID._Awe
Jun 25, 2007
Again, you are giving too much credit to Photoshop to control memory assignment. Photoshop is merely making a request to the OS for that amount of memory to be available. If you are only running PS Vista64 can allocate up to 3.12GB of RAM despite what you are reading in PS.

My advice is: "Dont’ worry, be happy!"

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections