MM
Posted By
Michal_Mika
Jun 21, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Photoshop file is too big and I need to reduce its size. How that can be done?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

MB
Michael_Brower
Jun 21, 2007
Crop out parts of the image you do not want or need. Reduce the image size by going to the menu Image>>Image Size. Change the file type to jpg and reduce the image quality when saving. You can also do a File>>Save for Web which effectively reduces the file size as well.
DR
Donald_Reese
Jun 21, 2007
Image-image size. reduce accordingly in the dialog boxes
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 21, 2007
Eliminate or combine layers. Get rid if unneeded Paths and Alpha Channels. Select all and Crop to get rid of "big data" beyond the canvas perimeter. If possible, combine Channel data.

Of course, everything you do to reduce file size will affect the file’s editability.
HS
Hadley_Soffe
Jun 21, 2007
If you’re looking strictly for file size, not dimension, play with file > save for web (Alt + Shift + Ctrl + S).

select the "2-up" tab at the top left of the screen. You will see the original file at the left, and the ‘optimized’ image at the right. I like to zoom in one level and then play with the settings until the file looks almost as good as the original. If you’re new to this tool, the main settings you’ll want to play with are Colors (if saving as a .gif) and quality (if saving as a .jpg).

You’ll see the file sizes for the original and the optimized version below the preview image. This is a fast way to cut down on file size.

My Photoshop file is too big and I need to reduce its size. How that can be done?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 21, 2007
Problem with Save for Web is that it will not preserve layers or Alpha Channels and it won’t work with larger dimensions. It should only be used for small files intended for the web, not .psd files.
HS
Hadley_Soffe
Jun 21, 2007
That is right. I wasn’t sure exactly what Michal was trying to do.

Problem with Save for Web is that it will not preserve layers or Alpha Channels and it won’t work with larger dimensions. It should only be used for small files intended for the web, not .psd files.
TG
Tom Glowka
Jun 22, 2007
Try image compression.
FT
Frank_thirtle
Jul 5, 2007
When i click "save" the dialogue box states 900kb but when i click on file in PS library it shows as 1.2Mb.
This happens frequently.
What can i do?
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 5, 2007
There is nothing to do.

The Save dialogue is showing the file size. A file browser will show the space it occupies on disk. Information is stored on disk in (usually) 1KB sectors, and each 1KB sector will typically hold less than 1KB of information.

Try this: open notepad and type the word HELLO. That’s 5 bytes of information but the file will occupy one 1KB sector – and it will still only occupy one sector if it contains up to 999 bytes.
DM
Don_McCahill
Jul 6, 2007
Actually, the size of the sector will vary according to the size and type of hard disk. On my machine it is a 4K minimum.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections