SA
Posted By
Sam_Amor
Jun 17, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Im taking pictures with a digital camera to sell clothing online, and Im trying to have a solid white background behind my clothing. I have just been using the magnetic lasso to go around my images and putting my images on a white background. The look is not very professional, and the edges look rugged.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I can do besides the magnetic lasso? I remember my teacher telling me to play with the colors and than use the lasso, but Im not sure what colors to play with. I just want to remove my solid background color. This shouldnt be too hard for photoshop, right?

Id really appreciate the help, thanks

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

AD
Andrei_Doubrovski
Jun 17, 2007
Hi Sam,
The Polygonal Lasso tool might work better (See flash movie on using the Polygonal Lasso < http://www.simplephotoshop.com/photoshop_interface/selecting f.htm>)

Also, consider feathering the "selection" edges (Select > Feather)
P
Phosphor
Jun 17, 2007
Post a reasonably large monitor view image (say 800 pixels — minimum — on the shortest side) so we can see what you’re starting with.

You can use <http://www.pixentral.com> for hosting if you don’t have server space available to you.
C
chrisjbirchall
Jun 17, 2007
To avoid those "ragged edges" experiment with the Extract filter. It is made for the job and gives a far more natural transition from foreground to transparency.
B
Bernie
Jun 17, 2007
And you may want to check this thread out:

Phos…., "Advanced masking and isolation" #1, 27 Jan 2005 9:06 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections