BZ
Posted By
Bill_Zimmermann
Jun 16, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If you get the error message: "Could not use the clone stamp because of a program error" it is probably not really a program error.

I would have saved a half day of searching forums, knowledge base and reinstalling Photoshop CS3 and technical support would have saved an hour of their time (having me test services, create a new user to test permission problems and reinstalling Photoshop a second time) if the error message had been more accurately worded to say "Could not use the clone stamp because nothing has been selected."

Then, we all would have quickly discovered that the Alt key I was using to make a source selection was not functioning and there was nothing wrong with the program.

This error message will also appear if you switch to another source button in the new Clone Stamp palette and have not yet selected a source for that button. This is probably the reason the error message was created but in that case the only error is "nothing has been selected" so you are again led in the wrong direction to solve the problem.

System was Windows XP Pro if that matters to anyone.
Zimm

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jun 16, 2007
Bill,

I’ve seen similar things, with that dialog appearing when things aren’t there for it to work with. For example, opening a file from the recent files list which I’d deleted. Other cases have occurred in the case of selecting an area containing no data to select, such as when I’ve been using the magic wand tool and click in an area of transparency. Fortunately it is no true program error and the dialog can be OK’ed to clear it, but it is a nuisance to see such a dialog in contrast to those of CS2 which were more meaningful.

Daryl

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections