Photoshop CS4, do you talk to any actual photographers?

CB
Posted By
Chris_Boyce
Apr 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Every time I use the new Photoshop CS4 which is part of my CS4 design standard I get so annoyed with you lot at Adobe. What have you done, I don’t think you actually take any advice from real photographers who are using your product every day. Sure you may talk to the occasional photographer who is happy to spend 10 hours on one image, paid for by a huge client. But what about everyday professionals that use photoshop as an important tool in their everyday digital workflow.

What I like in the new CS4;
The quick selection tool,
The clone stamp preview.

What I hate about CS4;
1. New screen mode functions, when you select ‘full screen mode with menu bar’ the image now anchors to the bottom of the screen. How stupid was that? Not only is that where the auto dock will appear on a mac, but I need to see beyond the bottom edge of the image, unless you can see beyond the bottom edge, you do not know where the bottom edge is. Sure you can use the hand tool to re-position the image but as soon as you touch the navigator to re-size, down it jumps to the bottom of the screen. It used to float freely in CS3, why change it.
2. No contact sheet II in the automate menu. Now you want me to create contact sheets in pdf format. I am a professional photographer, I use a professional lab for printing, professional labs want image files like jpegs or tiffs not pdf’s. Who thought that was a good idea? not a photographer. Your solution is to load the ‘legacy version’ as a plug-in. The fact you have withdrawn it from CS4 demonstrates you don’t understand the business of professional photography.
3. Colour labels used in CS4 bridge aren’t recognised by lightroom2. CS4 bridge cant read CS2 Bridge colour labels. Why not? it’s just simple metadata and they are all Adobe products.

There are other niggles but these three affect my workflow detrimentally and I get annoyed with you lot at Adobe every day, not because I’m a grumpy old whatsit but because you software designers/engineers change things and you obviously don’t know how they are used in the real world. You also develop ridiculous things like the aptly named ‘image toss’ what is the point of that? As a piece of software it might be very clever but I can’t see how it will ever be useful.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

R
Ram
Apr 2, 2009
Chris,

You’re addressing fellow users here, not Adobe, just your peers.

Your post is a little too long to read in its entirety, but your number 2 is misguided. Contact Sheet II is available as an option, it’s just not installed by default. Download it, install it and you’ll have it in File > Automate in CS4 too.

<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/10/where_did_extra.html>
VS
Vee S
Apr 2, 2009
Your post is a little too long to read in its entirety…

Chris, I really apologize for hijacking your thread, but this has just gotta be said:

Ramon, you’re a tool.
R
Ram
Apr 2, 2009
You’re nothing, Vee.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 2, 2009
You’re a day late for an April Fool joke.

There are only a few thousand photographers in the Photoshop beta test program, and our alpha test group is heavily weighted toward photographers, in addition to the dozen or so semi-pro photographers on the development team. Yeah, I think we listened to a few photographers.
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 2, 2009
What is image toss?
R
Ram
Apr 2, 2009
Hand toss images: Select the Hand tool and click-toss the image (like flicking on the iPhone). The image should glide across the screen and slowly come to rest.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 2, 2009
It’s the ability to flick the image and send it free-wheeling in any direction in CS4 — but you need to be able to use OpenGL to use that feature.

I love it.

[And I am a photographer!]
M
Maxxlava
Apr 2, 2009
Contact Sheet belongs in Photoshop by default install, and forever.
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 2, 2009
Hand toss images: Select the Hand tool and click-toss the image (like flicking on the iPhone). The image should glide across the screen and slowly come to rest.

Which is referred to in the help and prefs as "flick panning". Interesting.

And why do you love it Ann? I must say I turned it off immediately. What am I missing?
VS
Vee S
Apr 2, 2009
You’re nothing, Vee.

Plonk.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 2, 2009
When you are zoomed-in and retouching a large image, you just flick and the image starts gliding; and you can then just click on the screen to stop it dead in its tracks in that position.

Bird’s Eye View and Toss Image are two new features that I find very useful.
VS
Vee S
Apr 2, 2009
You also develop ridiculous things like the aptly named ‘image toss’ what is the point of that? As a piece of software it might be very clever but I can’t see how it will ever be useful.

I kind of liken this to a pen you might twirl in your hand as you think/work… I agree that it’s not necessary, but I’ve found it’s sort of an immersive experience, if that makes any sense. It’s inaccurate, but just "catch" the image again to land on the spot I wanted.
CB
Chris_Boyce
Apr 3, 2009
Hi Again,

Don’t get me wrong, I love photoshop and wouldn’t do without it. I recommend it to everyone who doesn’t yet use it.

It’s a shame the Adobe Photoshop engineer above applied himself to being personally rude and sarcastic. It just reinforces the impression that Adobe are arrogant.

I knew some people would love image toss and I appreciate the evolution of the interface, but when you have hundreds of images to process, and they muck about with my digital workflow it has a huge impact. Maybe I wouldn’t be quite so grumpy if my mac could do OpenGL.
NK
Neil_Keller
Apr 3, 2009
Chris,

Some observations, from the sidelines…

It’s a shame the Adobe Photoshop engineer above applied himself to being personally rude and sarcastic.

But, then you started off with,

Photoshop CS4, do you talk to any actual photographers? …What have you done, I don’t think you actually take any advice from real photographers who are using your product every day. Sure you may talk to the occasional photographer who is happy to spend 10 hours on one image, paid for by a huge client.

Yet you accuse Chris of being rude and arrogant.

Neil
B
Buko
Apr 3, 2009
Chris you call chris cox rude and sarcastic, we have been interacting with chris cox for years now. you show up we have never heard of you before yet you start ranting about things you know nothing about.

who really is rude?

I don’t think its CC
VS
Vee S
Apr 3, 2009
I’d say that’s probably one of the reasons many companies keep such a tight rein on how they provide support. Personally, I think it’s great to have the Photoshop engineers interacting with the community, but you run the risk of… well, just being yourself. Support personnel, on the other hand, are trained to appease the customer and sugar coat their responses, for better or worse. :/
R
Ram
Apr 3, 2009
Chris Boyce, you are a moron.

That’s not rude, that’s factual.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 3, 2009
Adobe listens to too many Photographers is the real problem. Even Bruce said so.
B
Bernie
Apr 3, 2009
Can’t wait to see this happy talk migrated to the new forums.
VS
Vee S
Apr 3, 2009
Chris Boyce, you are a moron.

That’s not rude, that’s factual.

Perfect example of what’s wrong with this forum (the community, not the software running it) when there aren’t any repercussions for folks who are overtly offensive. :/
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 3, 2009
Can’t wait to see this happy talk migrated to the new forums.

You mean the Kindergarten Forums?

Where we get to:

Post the "happy talk" in colored text in a dozen fonts (including Comic Sans!);

Display ugly mug shots of ourselves (or the sort of self-satisfied smirks that we have already seen in the Test Forum);

And give each other Points (Gold Stars) for "Correct Answers".

And it is all as slow molasses in February?

But they did leave out the finger paint so where’s the fun in that?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 3, 2009
Vee S:

Perhaps you don’t quite "Fit in" here?

[I recognise the style of this poster but there appears to have been a name change?]
B
Bernie
Apr 3, 2009
You mean the Kindergarten Forums?

Where we get to:

Post the "happy talk" in colored text in a dozen fonts (including Comic Sans!);

Display ugly mug shots of ourselves (or the sort of self-satisfied smirks that we have already seen in the Test Forum);

And give each other Points (Gold Stars) for "Correct Answers".

And it is all as slow molasses in February?

But they did leave out the finger paint so where’s the fun in that?

No.
JM
J_Maloney
Apr 3, 2009
Tom is referring to the great forum in the sky, where we will all be finally judged (except me, I’ve got an inside man handling my case). 😉
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 3, 2009
Well I have only managed to find the utterly infantile:

< http://adobeforums.adobe.com/community/general/english_discu ssions?view=discussions>

which fully comply with my description in #18.

But I couldn’t find the Finger Paint — that seems to be the only unnecessary frivolity that has been omitted from those horrible new Forums.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 3, 2009
Not to worry. Adobe knows best for everyone…

They are brillent – remember?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 3, 2009
So I have to bring my own Finger Paint?

🙁
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Apr 3, 2009
Adobe is done and served. Better off counting sheep.
VS
Vee S
Apr 3, 2009
Perhaps you don’t quite "Fit in" here?

Yeah, perhaps not, though I like the idea of being able to ask questions and converse in the "official" Adobe forums so I hope I can stick around.

Am I the first person to ever bring this topic up? Here’s my question to all you regulars… I realize in this thread the OP posted a sarcastic title and seems to rant about the devs, but how many times have you seen Ramon resort to plain ol’ name calling in situations like this? What are we, in junior high? I mean, I guess I could play along for awhile and spit out vitriol every now and to demean others. I might be fun since I can just hide behind my computer here, but is that the environment you really want?

[I recognise the style of this poster but there appears to have been a name change?]

This is v6v6v6, someone suggested I change my name and I was happy to oblige.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections