Render Lighting Effects Filter Crashing PS CS4 on ONLY Mac Pro Towers…8 Cores!!!

AT
Posted By
Anthony_Tortoriello
Apr 2, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just recently received a brand new Apple 8 core 2.93Ghz Mac Pro tower and also had the previous 3.33Ghz 8 core with the same exact issue. I have 16GB of memory on this tower and my last tower had 16GB as well. Everytime I run the render lighting effects filter on certain files in PS it hangs up and then crashes on me. I know it is not the files because they work on my Macbook Pro’s, my iMac, and have tested them on many other computers other than the Mac Pro tower’s at the Apple Retail Store out by me. I ran the same files on their new Mac Pro and it crashed just like it did on my two towers, but was very random. I have worked with the Adobe top techs troubleshooting this and supposedly eliminated that it could be a preference related issue, permissions related issue, file issue, and have done many things like disabling Open GL, resetting prefs, reinstalling, trying in new user, in Rosetta, in safe mode, in the root user, etc…super thorough testing and it still happens. Both Apple and Adobe feel that it must be something going on with the Mac Pro tower, PS, and possibly how the graphics card interacts and renders the filter. Actually I opened these files in my PS CS3 and it rendering the lighting effects filter, but was unable to run the filter on the entire image and actually left a 1/4 inch of the bottom of the image untouched which was completely bizarre. I have screenshots and console logs too if someone wants to see. I am REALLY curious to hear if anyone else has run into this problem or if they try what happens. Thanks and curious to hear some input. Regards, Anthony

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Apr 2, 2009
Have you tried Purging The Clipboard? Edit menu > Purge > Clipboard.
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 2, 2009
Yeah, we’ve received reports of a few lighting effects crashes – but we can’t reproduce them on our systems, and the code location where they crash looks clean. So we’re not sure what is going wrong (possibly memory corruption at another location, then it crashes later).
AT
Anthony_Tortoriello
Apr 3, 2009
Well I was able to reproduce this on my last Mac Pro tower, this current Mac Pro tower…which were all 8 cores…and I was able to walk into my local Apple Retail Store and get it to reproduce on their 8 core tower there. I also emailed Jim DiVitale who is an Adobe guru and PS Hall of Fame nominee…he knows his s&*t…he had his computer which is also an 8 core crash with some of the files I had him test. I am not sure what is going on, but I can get this to reproduce pretty much on any tower with certain files and it is random at the same time. Something is definitely up and I am convinced it has something to do with the tower configuration and the way PS renders that filter…obviously wish I knew. If you want try this file with the link below…it is the first file that caused my PS to crash and seems to be very problematic. Although it works effortlessly on any other computer other than the tower…iMac’s are good, Macbook Pro’s are good, etc. Thanks and please keep looking into this…it really is messing with my workflow. A.

<http://www.atortphotography.com/psbugs/JodinInfinitiHDR.jpg>
FH
Frank_Heller
Apr 3, 2009
Anthony’s .jpg brought my 3gHz 8core down like a lion on a wildebeest. CS4(11.0.1)/10.5.6 Sent in a crash report. You oughta try this file, Chris. Try it on an 8 core. Got one at the office?
AT
Anthony_Tortoriello
Apr 3, 2009
Thanks Frank for trying that out…now if you have another computer like a notebook run it on that and I bet it will be fine. It ran the filter with no problems on my brand new 17" Macbook Pro and an old G5 iMac…and I tried it on half a dozen computers at the Apple Store nearby and same thing…tower it crashed and all others it opened.
P
PShock
Apr 3, 2009
Using a first generation 2.66 Mac Pro here (quad-core – 2 x dual cores). No crash whatsoever while running the Lighting Effects filter on that file – even after multiple attempts.

Odd that it seems to only happen with the 8 core machines.

-phil
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 3, 2009
I’ll have someone take a look, just as soon as my QE folks get back from lunch.
AJ
Adam_Jerugim
Apr 3, 2009
I was just able to reproduce this and we’re now in the process of investigating. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

-Adam

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections