Posted By
bmclaughlin
Mar 25, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,
Sorry if this is an inappropriate place for this question, but I needed expert advice.

I have a Dell 2408WFP running from a MacBook Pro (the new model) and the colors are over saturated. I do have Eye-One Match 3 software with the puck and have calibrated a few times. While better it is still over saturated.

Because of a few things, this monitor is past the 30 day (or was it 21 day) Dell no question return policy.

I have read the following links but am still not getting a good result: <http://www.gballard.net/psd.html>
<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html#getagoodscreen>

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks-

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

WG
Welles_Goodrich
Mar 25, 2009
You might find some good info in this review…

<http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_2408wfp.htm>

It provides a good technical discussion.

How are you deciding it is over saturated, print results? Any comparison to a MacBook Pro isn’t practical as the TFT screens are still 6 bit (thousands of colors interpolated to approximate a larger gamut) even though the lighting has gotten much better. While LED backlighting and the glossy screens make new MacBook Pros look better it is still a reduced color gamut.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 25, 2009
Are the images that look over-saturated being viewed in a color managed application (like Photoshop) and do they all have embedded Profiles?

If you are looking at images without embedded sRGB profiles in a Browser or other application that does not support Color Management, you will see over-saturated colors on a wide-gamut display like the one that you are using.

Always convert images for the Internet into sRGB and embed the profile; and use Safari, Firefox (once you have activated CM in it) or iCab as a Browser.
B
bmclaughlin
Mar 25, 2009
I am comparing it to my other office Apple 23" display that is connected to an older Mac Pro. That display has been very accurate for all type of work over the last couple of years.

This Dell issue is beyond a Photoshop issue.

For example, if I launch Illustrator, the large orange Illustrator "seal" that is shown while the app starts up is waaaaay too intense. All the desktop icons are too intense.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 25, 2009
You are merely seeing colors on your new wide-gamut monitor that were never visible to you on your old sRGB Apple 23.

Everyone else who buys these newer WG monitors will see color the same way.

How do you have CM set in Illustrator — and are all your Adobe applications synchronised through Bridge?
GB
g_ballard
Mar 25, 2009
you may have missed this
<http://www.gballard.net/photoshop/srgb_wide_gamut.html>

no amount of discussion is going to resolve the problem, it is a hardware issue and how the Mac is designed

I would recontact dell and explain the problem on OSX and ask for a refund…that’s what I did
B
bmclaughlin
Mar 25, 2009
Aaahh – got’ya
This makes more sense. I use the same test as G. Ballard uses and it looks fine in PhotoShop. It was what is going on outside of PhotoShop that has/had me concerned.

I used the Illustrator app start up window as an example of very saturated colors because of Illustrator uses that orange color on that start-up window, and it is much more intense than what I am used to.

I do have all the Adobe products synced. It is synced to "North American General Purpose 2"
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 25, 2009
Once you have used a WG monitor, you won’t want to go back to anything else — at least I don’t!
B
bmclaughlin
Mar 25, 2009
Thanks to the information and links that have been provided, it looks like I have things sorted out.

In the "for what its worth" department, there is a plug-in for FireFox to help enable color management in this browser by way of a GUI.

I can take my sunglasses and radiation suit off now.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 25, 2009
a plug-in for FireFox

what the FireFox Web browser color-management option (and Windows Vista) do (that Mac OS and ColorSync don’t) is FF/Vista *Assume* un-tagged and un-managed color is sRGB ———— versus the Mac/ColorSync engineering that *Assumes* un-tagged and un-managed color is the default MonitorRGB

that’s important to know — how your OS and Applications handle untagged and unmanaged color — more so if the newer high-gamut monitors are on your list and you use a Mac
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 25, 2009
You can make Firefox color-managed if you type:
about:config
in the URL bar; and go down to:
gfx.color_management.enabled

and change false to true.

[Ramón taught me that trick!]

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections