NB
Posted By
Nikki_Bhakta
Mar 23, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
can anyone tell me how to know if an image i have will print excellent if i send it off to a printer that will be using epson archival big fancy printer…i do not understand how to properly enlarge a raw file or now tiff without the awful image quality. and i thought because the camera shoots raw files at 12.1 megapixels, i should be able to print it at least double the general size it shows up in photoshop. here are the specs…

shot with nikon d700. 12.1 mp @ raw 14-bit nef file
opened as 16 bit in raw settings with photoshop cs3
default size is 4256 x 2832
and when i click image size in ps the readings are 17.7 x 11.8. @ 240

okay, now i just need to know what steps to do in what order to crop, and set it to be printed at 30in x 16in. do i use the crop tool? do i change dpi? do i change the image size first and then crop? if so, do i leave the crop resolution blank? do i interpolate? do i bump up the dpi first thing? all this is confusing.
and i just want to know if an image has that much pixel info, how much can i blow it up before and after cropping. or better yet, how to crop and enlarge that portion to print professional quality with extreme clarity. anyone, please help!! i tried printing a partial of the image i tried to enlarge with an epson r1800 and it looks like crap. i tried several methods and printed 3 times, same partial of image. it doesn’t even look as sharp on the screen as it does before even altering the size!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Mar 23, 2009
What is the resolution of the printer? Not doing any math, but I think you may be resampling unnecessarily.
NB
Nikki_Bhakta
Mar 23, 2009
Not sure since I haven’t found a printer. But the one I use for regular work is an Epson r1800. But if I was tryig to double the default size to be able to print large scale images at a professional printer, which method of resizing do I use? And how do you crop without losing more detail?
P
PShock
Mar 23, 2009
You can do it with the crop tool, but when the desire is a specific ratio, the resampling can be unexpected.

My standard method for doing this is with the Marquee tool. With it selected, set "Style" on the option bar to Fixed Aspect Ratio. Input 30×19 into the text fields and then drag on the image to set your desired crop. Now go to Image > Crop, and deal with the resampling in the Image Size dialog box.
NB
Nikki_Bhakta
Mar 23, 2009
Any suggestions on whether to allow the image to resample? Or what the dpi should stay or change at as well as the pixels?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 23, 2009
Yes, with well-shot images from a Nikon D700 one should be able to print at least double the general size it shows up in PS. Note however that the original exposure and focus must be accurate and shot with good glass because uprezzing exacerbates flaws in the original.

Also, you have not described how much crop/enlarge. An enlarged crop can be more uprez than is reasonable.

Given your expressed ignorance of the process I suggest you simply crop with Resample Image unchecked. Then negotiate that image file with the service bureau that will be printing your large print output. If what you desire is an unreasonable amount of uprez a competent service bureau can discuss that with you.
P
Phosphor
Mar 23, 2009
If you can avoid resampling you should. It may be unavoidable in some cases. If you use the Crop tool make sure the Resolution field is blank (not zero). But I agree that the Marquee is probably your best bet.

I would go for a 300 ppi file. See how that sizes out in Image Size (resampling OFF). Then you can decide whether or not more resizing is needed on a COPY of the file.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections