SS
Posted By
Samuli_S.
Mar 20, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Whenever I try to create a new file by pressing CMD-N, Photoshop gives me a default file type of 32x32px 72ppi 1-bit Bitmap. The preset is "clipboard". This is when there is no image in the clipboard. If I copy something to the clipboard CMD-N works as usually and gives those specifications. But never when the clipboard is empty.

This is not a huge thing but I do this dozens of times a day and if I don’t notice that I’m creating a 1-bit file, I can’t even directly convert to RGB but have to go through grayscale to correct the mistake.

If anyone knows how I can get PS to default to RGB, I would be very grateful for the information!

Macbook late 2007 2.2ghz core 2 duo, santa rosa, 4 gb ram, Mac OS 10.5.6, PS CS4 11.0.1

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 20, 2009
That is because you have something (an icon perhaps?) of 32x32px saved on your Clipboard.

Use Cmd N
Change the size/mode/resolution etc. that you want (or choose "Custom" in the Presets pop-up menu).

You can then Save your choice as a new Preset.
B
Buko
Mar 20, 2009
Photoshop remembers the last used size unless there is something on the clipboard
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 20, 2009
I imagine that he did have something in his Clipboard because the "New" dialog came-up with "Clipboard" pre-selected.
SS
Samuli_S.
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for your responses!

I did purge the clipboard and that helped – in my 10 years of Photoshop use I’ve used the purge menu maybe 10 times so it’s a good time to learn.

I think the problem is that I didn’t know there could be multiple itemson the clipboard, that can be accessed separately, at any given time. I mean that I could copy and paste images inside PS all I wanted but every time I launched PS and did CMD-N there would be the mysterious 32×32 clipboard preset again. So there must have been an icon or something stuck in the clipboard for some reason.

But problem solved, new things learned! Thank you!
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 21, 2009
Great!

🙂
SS
Samuli_S.
Mar 21, 2009
By the way, I found out what is causing this. If I use Finder to Copy-Paste any file with CMD-C and CMD-V instead of dragging, it causes PS to think there is an icon in the clipboard. Not nice, but at least I know what is causing it.
R
Ram
Mar 22, 2009
Tangentially, I set my Preferences > General > Options to NOT export the clipboard. That made for a substantial increase in speed when leaving Photoshop for Bridge or any other application.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections