Posted By
wade_mackintosh
Mar 20, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
HI

I have been working on a document with many layers. I recently exported to PDF’s for proofing purposes and saved. (still with layers intact). I then moved on to other work, now when i opened the "layers" file, it has flattened into one layer. I did not flatten it myself.

Is there a way of recovering the file with all layers?

Much needed assistance to avoid losing a month of work.

Thanks in advance
wade

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

R
Ram
Mar 20, 2009
Nope, you’re going to have to go back to your backup copy.
R
Ram
Mar 20, 2009
Next time, don’t forget to check "Preserve Photoshop Editing Capabilities" when saving your PDF.

Did you overwrite your file during saving? How did you manage that without deleting the .pdf extension?
B
Buko
Mar 20, 2009
first off files just don’t flatten themselves.

second you don’t export PDFs from Photoshop you save as.

the only way I can think that this happened is:

You were using PDF as the main file format when you saved you unchecked preserve Photoshop editing capabilities and saved over your work file.

PDF is not the best format to use as a work file.
JM
J_Maloney
Mar 20, 2009
Converting to CMYK flattens the file, regardless of "PS compatibilities". I just did this myself and was quite pissed at how easy it was to do. The joboption shouldn’t have been converting to CMYK and I still haven’t sussed out what exactly happened.

PDF is not the best format to use as a work file.

I agree 🙂 , and think this disclaimer should accompany PDF’s glowing reviews as a file format. You know, to protect us idiots…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 20, 2009
When you Convert to CMYK, look out for the little Check Box (which is ticked by Default) that asks if you want to flatten the file.

I prefer to make a duplicate flattened file before converting to CMYK so that my Layered Master RGB file remains intact.
JM
J_Maloney
Mar 20, 2009
Converting to CMYK by saving a PDF with "convert to profile (SWOP)" in the PDF joboptions. No custom preset on my machine has this option turned on, but I managed to do it using one of my supposed presets. Don’t know if it was just a bug on my machine. But I vote no on PDFs as working files….
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 20, 2009
I think that Converting to a different Color Space may always flatten by default unless you use the Edit menu/Convert … method and turn off the Check Box.
R
Ram
Mar 21, 2009
…Converting to a different Color Space may always flatten by default unless you use the Edit menu/Convert … method and turn off the Check Box

Yup.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Mar 21, 2009
Converting to a different Color Space may always flatten by default unless you use the Edit menu/Convert … method and turn off the Check Box

It should read, converting to a different color MODE may flatten your file if the layer contents are not transferable between spaces.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 21, 2009
Correct!

An incorrect use of "Color Space" instead of Mode by me!

I always use the Edit/Convert Profile when changing Color Mode (because of the greater choices that it offers) and it is well worth it to attach a keyboard shortcut to that menu item.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Mar 21, 2009
color = colour.

same shit.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 21, 2009
But the latter is based on the French.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 22, 2009
…who invented it. Its a pity your founding fathers couldn’t spell.
WM
wade_mackintosh
Mar 23, 2009
ok – thanks all. looks like i have to start over if there are client changes. Gonna have to be more careful i guess in future.
R
Ram
Mar 23, 2009
Color is Latin, and it predates French by quite a margin.

No need to go through intermediaries. 😉

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections