TS
Posted By
Tanya Smekal
Sep 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to make the save action to save the files in their current folder, but they always go to the place defined during the action recording. How can I make this action more flexible?

Thanks, Tanya

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MF
Many Feathers
Sep 1, 2003
You can put a stop in the action so you can choose the folder you want it to go to. I don’t know if you can say to have it go into the currect folder…

MF
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 1, 2003
Tanya,

If you are performing the Save As action on a single, open file, toggle the dialog box in the action to ON – that’s the little square next to the action name. You’ll be prompted for file name/location and compression options (if applicable).

If you are performing the Save As action on a group of files, toggle the dialo of the action to OFF, and use the File|Automate|Batch dialog. In that dialog CHECK the box that says "Override Save As information", and you pass control over to the batch dialog box’s destination and file naming.

Peace,
Tony
TS
Tanya Smekal
Sep 2, 2003
Hi, thanks for your help. All works well for a single file, but for multiple files after I CHECKED the "Override Save As information" box, it prompted me for a destination folder and then saved everything in that folder, whereas I wanted every single file to go to their original folder and I don’t mind them overwriting any existing same-name files.

Tanya
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 2, 2003
Toggle the dialog of the Save As portion of the action to OFF. That’s the little square next to the action name.
TS
Tanya Smekal
Sep 2, 2003
I did toggle it to off, to no avail. I have a set containing the action "Save as" which on the Actions palette has the "save" row underneath containing "as TIFF, with LZW compression, in c:\Myfolder\"; and another action for close. When I toggled Save to OFF, it caused all little squares to disappar from actions and set. Then performed the batch operation as before, and all of the files went to c:\Myfolder\. On the Automate -> Batch menu should the destination be Folder and not Save and Close? Thanks, Tanya
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 2, 2003
and another action for close

You don’t need that.

When you use Batch, control is passed to the batch dialog. The ONLY purpose of the Save As action, when used with the batch dialog, is to specify file type and compression. That check box, override… is what drives the control for the batch dialog.

So…. in the batch dialog is where you specify your destination and optionally, a naming convention as those will be ignored. So don’t use Save and Close, choose Folder and select a destination for the files.

When you run your batch, each file from the source (open files or a folder of files) will have whatever action performed on them and they will save and close one at a time.
TS
Tanya Smekal
Sep 2, 2003
I did toggle it to off, to no avail. I have a set containing the action "Save as" which on the Actions palette has the "save" row underneath containing "as TIFF, with LZW compression, in c:\Myfolder\"; and another action for close. When I toggled Save to OFF, it caused all little squares to disappar from actions and set. Then performed the batch operation as before, and all of the files went to c:\Myfolder\. On the Automate -> Batch menu should the destination be Folder and not Save and Close? Thanks, Tanya
TS
Tanya Smekal
Sep 2, 2003
Thanks, I scrapped the Close function, and they were all saved – but again to one and the same folder! Since they all come from different folders, I want them after saving to go back to their own folders and NOT to c:\Myfolder. Is this feasible? Thanks, Tanya
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 2, 2003
Is this feasible?

No. You’re best bet is to run the batch on a folder instead of open files, and run it as many times as you have folders.

No other way around it – it’s using the batch dialog to determine where to save them.
TS
Tanya Smekal
Sep 2, 2003
I found out that if I toggle "Save As" to ON and perform Automation -> Batch with "Save and Close", it asks me for every file if I want to keep it in the folder where it already is and then saves it, which clashes a bit with the concept of automated procedure, but is still the quickest way for my purposes.

Thanks a lot for your help and time, Tanya

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections