type/character size restriction 339 pixel?

BD
Posted By
Beate_de_Nijs
Mar 15, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Despite various searches in the forum II haven’t found an answer yet …so it seems quite an important issue.
When I type in a size for character larger than 339 pixel, I get an error message, that says size is restricted to 339,82 pixel.
(And in Illustrator it’s 1296).
I cannot remember this has been such in CS 3 or earlier. Why is that? (my artboards/documents are large enough, etc.) Is this a setting I can change?
I find type size restrictions rather ridiculous, I don’t want to turn type into paths or rasterize them to enlarge them, but continue editing theem if neccessary.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Mar 15, 2009
When I type in a size for character larger than 339 pixel

And just how are you managing that? How are you defining type size in pixels?

In any event, the maximum font size in Photoshop 11.0.1 ("CS4") is 1,296 points, not "pixels".

I find type size restrictions rather ridiculous

Ooooh! Watch out! The more strident the rant, the greater the probability of PEBKAC.
R
Ram
Mar 15, 2009
Incidentally, Beate, if you need text larger than 1,296 points, remember you can use Edit > Transform > Scale. Your text will remain editable.
BD
Beate_de_Nijs
Mar 15, 2009
True – scaling makes the letter larges (though it’s hard to target e.g. 3000px/pt then….)! But when scaling allows larger numbers why doesn’t directly typing such sizes? (I should ask Adobe for that)
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 15, 2009
though it’s hard to target e.g. 3000px/pt then….

Please know there is a fundamental different between pixels (basic picture elements in a pixel-based image) and points (font size in 72s of inch, although, because of the way fonts are designed, there is no exact visual size match when comparing fonts).

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 15, 2009
Beate:

This thread will help you to understand the difference between specifying Type in Points and Pixels:
Mark Alsip, "Horizontal and vertical type tool bugs" #, 1 Mar 2009 8:06 pm </webx?14>

If you work through this experiment you will be able to see and understand the difference: Ann Shelbourne, "Horizontal and vertical type tool bugs" #11, 2 Mar 2009 7:17 pm </webx?14/10>

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections