DD
Posted By
Dave_D.
Mar 14, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve seen tons of info on what color management settings can be used in CS3, but most seemed to favor work for printing. I’m just wondering what settings people think are best for color and B&W photo web work in particular… I already have both the monitor and PS set for ‘sRGB IEC61966-2.1’, but other than that, there seems to be a lot of opinions. I just want everything to have the best chance of looking the same on other comps as it did on mine. I also have Proof Setup set to ‘Monitor RGB’.

Thanks,

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
pfigen
Mar 14, 2009
sRGB is fine for your working RGB, but your monitor should be set to your calibrated monitor profile, not sRGB. The monitor profile is supposed to describe the monitor calibration so Photoshop can translate from the working space to your monitor.

Black and white for the web should be Grayscale Gamma 2.2.

Just make sure your files destined for the web are all in sRGB. There will be some variation in how people see them, but at least you’ll know they’ve started out right.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Mar 14, 2009
L
Lundberg02
Mar 14, 2009
LOL, good one MO!
G
GYG
Mar 15, 2009
Anyone ever use one of those devices that read the screen when you hold it up to it? It suppose to be a better way of calibrating our monitor.
L
Lundberg02
Mar 16, 2009
You mean like a thing you place on your actual screen that reads the light? Gee, that would be something, wouldn’t it?
R
Ram
Mar 16, 2009
LOL ! 😀

GYG, even the cheapest hardware calibrator puck will give you much better results than Apple’s built-in eyeball calibrator or any other eyeball calibrator.

If you don’t use a calibrator puck—regularly and often—you’re flying blind.
G
GYG
Mar 16, 2009
Lundberg02….they have them…google "spyder". Ramon, yes I have to buy one, one of these days. I’ve always wondered how they can do a better job than the human eye, but I guess they do.
R
Ram
Mar 16, 2009
LOL ! @ GYG 😀

You missed the sarcasm in Lundberg02’s post. 😀

I’ve always wondered how they can do a better job than the human eye, but I guess they do.

That’s just hilarious! 😀
L
Lundberg02
Mar 16, 2009
Color constancy, you can look that up on Google , too, GYG. Von Kries went through all this one hundred years ago, where have you been?
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 16, 2009
Y’all give GYG a break. 99.9xx% of the folks out there never thought about the extraordinary subjectivity of color.
G
GYG
Mar 16, 2009
How stupid of me to not be able to tell the difference between sarcasm and someone trying to be a prick. I mean; And who hasn’t heard of Von Kries, come on! He’s up their with Jesus, Tesla, and Plato, when it comes to people everyone should know.

Let the geek squad have their laugh with each other; it may be the only opportunity for social interaction they have all day. Besides, I’ve yet to google "how to pick up on sarcasm through keystrokes". That will be next on my "to do" list; right after I research "how to show patience towards those who think they are better than everyone".

Sorry to disturb your little post. How dare I assume someone be more ignorant than me when it comes to color constancy. And shame on me for trying to help, despite my inability to. I don’t know what got into me guys.
L
Lundberg02
Mar 16, 2009
Look up color management while you’re at it.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Mar 16, 2009
It’s whine o clock and all is well.
RL
Richard Lynch
Mar 17, 2009

1. Calibrate (I use ColorVision’s Spyder <http://aps8.com/spyder.html> , but any hardware calibration device will be better than calibration by eye).

2. Set the Working Space to sRGB.

3. Set the Color Management Policy for RGB to Convert to Working to be sure you are converting content to sRGB. (2 & 3 addressses pfigen’s concern about making sure all images are sRGB.)

4. Make sure your monitor is set to use the ICC profile generated by the calibration device.

5. Turn off Proof Colors.

6. Embed profiles or not, but if you do use the sRGB profile. Whether it gets used or not is another story.

As far as B&W, pfigen suggests Gamma 2.2, which would seem to be right for PC. Mac users might consider Gamma 1.8.

This should work well for most situations, but guaranteed consistency is an impossible task at this point.
R
Ram
Mar 17, 2009
Richard,

Your advice us sound—until you get to the monitor calibration gamma.

The gamma 1.8 encoding is a relic of the old days of b&w LaserWriter printers and monochrome Apple monitors. For years, the recommendation has been to calibrate all your Mac monitors to gamma 2.2.
L
Lundberg02
Mar 17, 2009
See your dentist twice a year, watch treats, follow a conscientious program of oral hygiene, keep away from children, do not remove label under penalty of law.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Mar 17, 2009
Buy Adobe Products every 18 months just because.
DD
Dave_D.
Mar 18, 2009
Thanks Richard & pfigen… I did all that plus set Proof Setup to Monitor RGB. Looks good.
B
Buko
Mar 18, 2009
did all that plus set Proof Setup to Monitor RGB

thats counter productive as nobody else on the planet has your monitor profile.
L
Lundberg02
Mar 19, 2009
OMFG.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Mar 19, 2009
yes son – Im with you all the way.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections