Posted By
Kathrina Anianka
Sep 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’m not quite sure this is the right forum to post this but here it goes: I run Photoshop 6.0 in a windows 98.
I have recently download a few sets of brushes, all for PS6. When I installed the brushes, something happens. When I open the brushes palette to choose the set of brushes I want to use… nothing happens!
The button remains as if I had pressed it, yet there is no menu popping out and I can’t change the brushes set this way. I already had a few bushes installed, but that hadn’t happened.

Does anyone have any idea what it might be the problem and how to solve it?

Thank you

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TB
The Binky
Sep 1, 2003
Kathrina I registered today to ask the same exact question. I think I am going to delete all the brushes I downloaded yesterday and see if that helps at all. But if anyone knows how to help I would be most grateful as well.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 1, 2003
You may have too many brushes loaded in the Brushes pallet. Try deleting some and then see if you can load your new set.
TB
The Binky
Sep 1, 2003
I deleted ALL the brushes and still had no luck, the button still acts stuck. The upside is that I did find out how to get around it: Edit–> Preset Manager–> Brushes, Load. It is a little more cumbersome but it will have to do until I get it sorted out.
P
Phosphor
Sep 1, 2003
Somebody council Binky on backing off the hardware video acceleration. This may help.
Y
YrbkMgr
Sep 1, 2003
Hmmmm…

Binky. Go to control panel and run the System applet. Look for the performance tab and find Video Hardware Acceleration. Set it to NONE. Now try your brushes pallet thing – if the problem goes away it’s video drivers; you need to update or roll back your vid drivers version.

It doesn’t sound quite like a vid driver thing to me though. I think there are too many brushes loaded and Binky hasn’t yet made the connection between the presets manager and the brush pallet. Could be wrong on that though.

Peace,
Tony
KA
Kathrina Anianka
Sep 2, 2003
Hey,

Well in my case it wasn’t a drivers version, and yeah it’s truth that erasing most brushes -if not all- doesn’t work. I too had thought it might be because there were too many brushes loaded. I even reinstalled it afterwards and it seemed to work.
But even when I put less brushes, it still happens with some of them.

Maybe it’s one of the brushes set it has a slight conflict with?

Anyway, thanks for the help so far to all of you. And Binky, that’s a life saver there until we can sort it out.

Kat-
TB
The Binky
Sep 2, 2003
Ok, just so y’all are clear on what I’m talking about: it is not a case of having too many brushes actually loaded in the palette, because I don’t like that and when I change brushes I choose Replace without appending. There can be a total of 2 brushes in the palette and the button still won’t work.

Phosphor, my acceleration was already set to none, but thanks for your input.

YrbkMgr, is not like I am loading and loading brushes like a maniac filling up the palette, lol. The workaround is just so we can be able to change brushes while the button is stuck. Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

When the button works it will show all the brushes I’ve used in the past even if they are not loaded or if I have totally removed them from my machine. And I think that list is too long, but I don’t know how to clear the cache.

Kat, did you get any of the new brushes from actionxchange?
P
Phosphor
Sep 2, 2003
And I think that list is too long, but I don’t know how to clear the cache.

Sounds like a case for the reset prefs trick, imho. Press ctrl + alt + shift on start up, don’t let go until you get asked whether you want to reset your prefereances- then say "Yes". Further instructions are in the FAQ.
KA
Kathrina Anianka
Sep 2, 2003
Binky: Nope, none of my brushes are from there
TB
The Binky
Sep 3, 2003
Helen, I was ready to hug you but it didn’t work. 🙁 I think that I will resort to plan B, which is hitting my machine.

Kat, I didn’t have the problem till I d/led brushes from actionxchange so I was wondering if we might have gotten the same one. Guess not.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections