installing 3rd party actions where (CS4)

LF
Posted By
Lynda_Farabee
Mar 11, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Mac, osx 10.5.6; CS4

WHERE do I put (install, add) third party atn and asl files?

I see some in root>application?CS4>presets>actions

also

User>lib>applicationsupport>adobe>CS4>presets

Thanks a bunch.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 11, 2009
CS4 seems to prefer to install User-created Actions, Styles etc., in: User/Library/Application Support/Adobe/ Adobe Photoshop CS4/Presets/.

I don’t know if the reason for doing this is so that we don’t lose our personal Actions etc. if the Application itself is un-installed – but it might be.

If you are the only User of Photoshop on your machine you might choose to put your own saved Actions and Styles in the equivalent folder in your Application/Photoshop folder as we did in earlier versions but it does seem that Photoshop can find them in either location but looks first in the User location by default; but subsequently goes to the last location to which you navigated.

I think that having Adobe-installed Presets in one place; and User-saved Presets elsewhere is confusing.
LF
Lynda_Farabee
Mar 11, 2009
I agree!! This is my first PS experience. I came from PSE 6. Would much prefer one location! Will it "hurt" to put them in both? If PS were uninstalled, wouldn’t it take User folder also?
LF
Lynda_Farabee
Mar 11, 2009
Thank you for your answer! I forgot my manners. -L
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 12, 2009
I can’t see any reasons for not putting them in both places (so that you have back-ups?) — just as long as you know to look in both places if you can’t find a particular Preset.

If PS were uninstalled, wouldn’t it take User folder also?

I don’t know the answer to that. You might like to test it to see?

But if you back-up your whole System HD, you will have copies of everything there.
R
Ram
Mar 12, 2009
Another way of doing it is to create an additional plug-ins folder in the location of your choice and designate it as such in Photoshop’s preferences.

In any event, I rather have to deal with a corrupted user Library folder than a root-level library folder. Just my preference.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections