Posted By
Mike_Geiger
Mar 10, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greets:

I have been expierincing a desktop falling asleep recently all by itself. My mac will run fine for about 3 hours, but then it falls asleep every 2-3 minutes while I struggle to keep it attempting to finish a project.

It first started with PSCS3, then one thing after another started to happen with all applications I tested.

I use current versions of Cocktail, ifreemem (Got that after it all started acting up), and Disk Warrior frequently. I have checked for corrupted fonts using Font Agent Pro, and have tried starting from a single user.

Has anyone ever had this problem on this forum? I suspect bad ram or the hard drive disk going bad. I do realize that 1GB of Ram is pathetic, but I’m just trying to restore this Mac Mini for someone else.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: PowerMac10,2
Processor Name: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Processor Speed: 1.5 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 1
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.4f0

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
Buko
Mar 10, 2009
sounds like time for a new computer.
MG
Mike_Geiger
Mar 10, 2009
Buko,

Do you think it would be better to replace the Hard Drive or just purchase a new mac mini?

Thanks for your response.

Mike
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Mar 10, 2009
You know on some units when they get too clogged with dust they will suddenly start shutting down… a reaction to overheating. I wonder if this might be an issue. Have you tried vacuuming out the vents or even better used a putty knife to open up the case and really clean it out? (I don’t know this specifically about the Mac Mini, it’s just a shot in the dark based on prior experience with other Mac models.)
B
Buko
Mar 10, 2009
that computer is so old I would get a new one.

something not a mini.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 10, 2009
Is there any chance that your mouse is jumping to a screen hot corner and activating the screensaver/sleep?
MG
Mike_Geiger
Mar 10, 2009
Thanks guys for your input.

Welles, I opened up the box and blew about 5 pounds of dust out of this baby. I’ve been testing by using PSCS3, Illy, ID, and Dream Weaver. I’ve been trying to make it overheat and I have not heard the fan yet. The fan was constantly running before, and now nothing. Great suggestion!

Buko, my buddy bought this unit 10/2005 and I will tell him about your recommendation, since it is out dated.

Jim, I also thought it was the hot corner for the screen saver/sleep mode. It was not that problem at all. However, that was a great idea.

I’m in the process of backing up things for the owner, just in case of a complete failure.

Once again, thanks guys.

Mike
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 11, 2009
The fan was constantly running before

That should have been a red flag. Minis and iMacs are very quiet. If they are making a lot of fan noise, something is wrong.

The computer should be cracked open at least once a year and cleaned if it is used in a high pollutant area (pets, smoke, etc). If your buddy is a smoker, show them pictures of what the inside looked like. It may get them to quit.
LJ
Luke_Jennings
Mar 11, 2009
My Mac mini had the same symptoms. A new power brick fixed it.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 11, 2009
"The fan was constantly running before, and now nothing’ – the fan has worn out, and now the computer is auto-sleeping because it can’t cool itself sufficiently. Someone at an Apple store might have sufficient knowledge to know what is causing the overheating in the first place. That’s your only other option – time for a new machine most probably
MG
Mike_Geiger
Mar 11, 2009
Jim,

That was a great suggestion because I have my own mac and it is starting to do the same thing. The fan thing was something I was not aware of. I’m good with the applications, but not with hardware. BTW, they have 8 dogs 4 cats and both are smokers. You picked out the owners perfectly.

Luke, I’ve never heard of a power brick and when I googled its purpose, it only sounds like if this unit wants longivity it is going to need one. Excellent suggestion!

Welles, I’ve been trying to overheat this bad boy and its working perfectly. Although I have never owned a Mini Mac, Blowing out 3-4 years of crap from the interior of the box makes this mini function adequately.

Thank you everyone.

Mike
B
Buko
Mar 11, 2009
I vacuum out my computer about 4 times a year.
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Mar 11, 2009
Good show, Mike. Glad the Mini is apparently running properly again. I was glad to learn of Luke’s suggestion about the power brick.

Like Buko, I clean my Macs regularly. It used to be that I bought canned air to blow them out but as I take care of my own and about 30 Macs in the neighborhood I purchased a Datavac Electric Duster which puts out a fine column of air and has saved me money over the purchase price even though I’ve only owned it for 9 months. There are three different nozzles for different intensity, the smallest being the most power in a given area. I bought it here… the best price I found at the time (and even added a review I was so pleased).

<http://www.jr.com/datavac/pe/DAV_ED_hy_3C/>
AW
Allen_Wicks
Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for the link Welles.
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 11, 2009
Most folks think compressed air in a can is ideal. This method does not use an electric motor that can generate static charges that might extend down the hose. However, blowing does not really help in severe cases like this. It just stirs up the dust so that it can settle on the computer again.

If you are careful with static charge and take care not to dislodge delicate parts in the system, suck it with a vacuum.
P
Phosphor
Mar 11, 2009
Also…I’ve read from several reliable sources that it’s not a bad idea to properly ground your vacuum wand/tube/nozzle…seems just the action of all that air rushing between metal and plastic can create possibly harmful static charges.

I do it…can’t hurt. Sure would suck to fry a component when all you’re trying to do is be a thorough and conscientious system maintainer.
MG
Mike_Geiger
Mar 11, 2009
Hello Folks,

I’m the original poster.

I was provided a suggestion to clean out the dust from the interior of the box. I used a friends air compressor to force blast the inside (3-4 minutes) of the Mini Mac. About 5 pounds of dust was extracted. Upon reboot I noticed the change in the systems performance immediately. I made an attempt to force an overheat to pick a fight with the fan, but I noticed an immediate change. There is no longer forced shut downs or force sleep in the system while working on projects.

I am very impressed with the help from this forum. Buko, I will blast my personal mac every 6 months. Great suggestion.

Thanks guys.

Mike
WG
Welles_Goodrich
Mar 11, 2009
I’ve tried both vacuuming and compressed air (can and electric unit). My impression is that the blowing technique provides a better cleaning. I should add that I vacuumed with a shop vac which is powerful enough to suck up carpets.

Of course you do it outside or in some part of the house where it just won’t settle on the computer again. I’ve used the compressed air on several hundred occasions always making sure that I’m grounded by touching the case and the nozzles never actually touch components. I also have industrial grade compressors available but feel the pressure might be too high unless regulated down to maybe 20 or 30 psi. Generally they are set up for 80 psi so I used the more specialized tool.
B
Buko
Mar 11, 2009
If there is lots O dust, I’ll use the compressed air to blow off the dust and have a vacuum going to get the dust in the air. I have found this works well in a small area like under my desk. That way I don’t have to pull out the computer.
MG
Mike_Geiger
Mar 11, 2009
I blew the crap out of this bad boy and I see no need to suck the dust. This method worked perfect for me.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 13, 2009
My thinking…

Ground yourself with a strap before working inside your computer.

Work in an area where the dust and dirt doesn’t just get blown elsewhere that will become a problem to clean up. I’ve found that blowing air dislodges dirt that is in difficult-to-reach areas. Be careful not to tilt or shake the can to keep the propellant from spitting out.

And then use a small vacuum (perhaps with electrical tape wrapped around the end of the nozzle to prevent static discharge) can be used to pick up the dislodged dirt. Large/high-suction vacuums are more likely to dislodge delicate components.

Keep pets, cigarette smoke, and liquids away from the computer and keyboard for safety and cleanliness. Keep the computer well off the floor and away from dusty environments. Clean inside the computer at least twice a year, even in clean environments. Make sure there is plenty of space around the computer and nothing blocking the vents to help keep it cool.

Neil
JJ
John Joslin
Mar 13, 2009
Nobody even flinched at the mention of five pounds of dust!

Or is that just creative writing?
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 13, 2009
I took it to be creative writing.

Neil
JJ
Jim_Jordan
Mar 13, 2009
Nobody flinched at this either:

Keep pets, cigarette smoke, and liquids away from the computer and keyboard

Neil takes the fun out of computing. 🙂
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 13, 2009
Keep pets, cigarette smoke, and liquids away from the computer and keyboard

and don’t use the silver dish in that pop-out cup-holder for an ashtray.
MG
Mike_Geiger
Mar 13, 2009
John,

You can’t put 5 pounds of anything in a mini mac. As Neil said, "I took it as creative writing."

Welles, The mini went back to its owner yesterday. My buddy told me that between he and his wife and 4 daughters, that their bad boy has been humming. I was amazed after breaking open the case, and blowing out dust, (which made the mini happy), Improved the performance tremendously with general maintence.

I did the same thing for my mac and I rarely here the fan.

Thanks everyone who contributed to this tread!

Mike
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 14, 2009
Keep pets, cigarette smoke, and liquids away from the computer and keyboard for safety and cleanliness.

You’d be surprised how some folks will put $$$$ worth of high-end electronics, their billables or jobs at risk — although I’ll admit to having lost a $160 Apple keyboard to 12 oz of Coca Cola about a dozen years ago.

Neil

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections