Posted By
Miguel_Reznicek
Aug 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Friends:

How can one rotate and image and save it in .jpg that is the exact same image as the original file (except rotated), preserving the original file size and information?

Thanks in advance,

Miguel Reznicek

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JH
Jim_Hess
Aug 27, 2004
Someone who is a lot better at math than I am might disagree with me, but I don’t think it would be very easy to do that. Personally, I don’t think it is that important anyway. I think a lot of the regulars here have adopted the practice of saving images that they have modified as either PSD or TIF images, and leave the original image completely unmodified. Both of those image types are lossless regardless of how many times you save them. Then, when you are satisfied with the results, make a single save back to the JPEG format and don’t concern yourself so much with the actual size of the file as you do consider the intent of your work.

The other issue that comes into play here is the amount of compression that was applied to the original JPEG image. Adobe has created their own algorithm for the different amounts of compression, and it may vary from whatever camera or other program saved the original file.
MR
Miguel_Reznicek
Aug 30, 2004
Thanks Brent. I found the same is possible using graphic converter in Brows mode.

Best regards,

Miguel Reznicek
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 30, 2004
Miguel,
I don’t see why you should not be able to accomplish your goal by working on a duplicate.
1.Right click title bar of image>duplicate image
2.Drag down this copy a bit to see the original and close it
3.Now rotate the copy file and do whatever needs to be done
4.Save this file
Ken
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Aug 30, 2004
Miguel….

I’m intrigued to know why you want the file size and info to remain the same?

Colin
PA
Patti Anderson
Sep 1, 2004
Somewhere I read that in order to have a true lossless JPEG rotation (assuming you have a program that can do this) the original dimensions from camera need to be a multple of 8. Can anyone verify this…and why?

Meanwhile, I’ll look and see if I can remember where I read it!

Patti
PA
Patti Anderson
Sep 1, 2004
Found the source: <http://www.binbooks.com/books/photo/i/l/571B6AFCD9>

Original article with more interesting links here:
<http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/a/012182.htm>

Patti

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections