PC
Posted By
Pat_Coggin
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can’t seem to find it . I did reinstall PSE2 several months ago and switched also to a Dell flat screen monitor. Do I need Adobe Gamma to calibrate or can I continue just using the monitor buttons?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BB
brent_bertram
Aug 24, 2004
Search for adobe gamma.cpl file. That’s the control panel applet that calibrates the screen ( but not really on an LCD ) AND , more importantly, creates a monitor profile for use of color managed apps ( your monitor buttons don’t do that ! <G> ) . You need to load the factory profile into Adobe Gamma, and then save that result as your personal profile ( naming something like "Pat’s LCD", so you’ll know what it is ). Adobe Gamma utility will then make the resulting profile, the system default and use that to correct colors to the calibrated state, as well as load the video LUT at startup ( via the Adobe Gamma Loader.exe file in the startup group ).
Tutorial at <http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps7-colour/ps7_2.htm>, but it doesn’t apply mostly to LCD’s . This quote does apply to LCD’s,
"The "Calibrating Your Monitor" section of the user guide (e.g., Adobe Illustrator 9.0 User Guide, pages 214-216; Adobe InDesign 1.0 User Guide, pages 301-302), gives you detailed instructions for preparing for monitor calibration, adjusting the settings, and saving the finished profile. If you don’t complete a step (e.g., making sure your monitor has been turned on for at least a half hour), your profile may not be accurate.

If you load an existing profile (e.g., Generic RGB Profile) and modify it in Adobe Gamma, be sure to change its Description (e.g., My monitor 10/22/99) so you can distinguish it from the original. It’s a good idea to enter the same name in the Description field and in the Save As dialog box that appears you finish using Adobe Gamma. Also, if you include the date in the name, you’ll know how long it’s been since you last calibrated the monitor.

Note: Flat panel display monitors (e.g., Apple Studio Display) do not use brightness and contrast. Instead, they use white point and black point levels to adjust the monitor’s characterization. Because of this, load the ICC profile that comes with your flat panel in Adobe Gamma without modifying the settings except the Description. Make sure to save your profile with a filename that matches the Description name."

Long winded, aren’t I?

🙂

Brent
PC
Pat_Coggin
Aug 25, 2004
Brent, thanks immensely for being long-winded. I needed a really detailed response… U Da Mannnnn!
PC
Pat_Coggin
Aug 26, 2004
Brent, got any idea how I find the factory profile for my flat panel?
BB
brent_bertram
Aug 26, 2004
Frequently, LCD displays come with a factory driver that includes the ICM file. If you know the model number, try "webbing" to the Dell support site .

🙂

Brent

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections