DJ
Posted By
David_Jadhon
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
PS Elements User Guide page 32, "Getting Ready to Calibrate", second bullet: set desktop display to neutral gray using RGB of 128. Do I set the values in control panel/display/settings/advanced/color? Any step by step advice I’d appreciate. I have a VA 720 ViewSonic monitor but have a challenge going through Adobe Gamma when making brightness, gamma settings. Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BB
brent_bertram
Aug 24, 2004
David,
You should load the standard Viewsonic driver for your OS, and then follow the directions in this link from the User Guide
"The "Calibrating Your Monitor" section of the user guide (e.g., Adobe Illustrator 9.0 User Guide, pages 214-216; Adobe InDesign 1.0 User Guide, pages 301-302), gives you detailed instructions for preparing for monitor calibration, adjusting the settings, and saving the finished profile. If you don’t complete a step (e.g., making sure your monitor has been turned on for at least a half hour), your profile may not be accurate.

If you load an existing profile (e.g., Generic RGB Profile) and modify it in Adobe Gamma, be sure to change its Description (e.g., My monitor 10/22/99) so you can distinguish it from the original. It’s a good idea to enter the same name in the Description field and in the Save As dialog box that appears you finish using Adobe Gamma. Also, if you include the date in the name, you’ll know how long it’s been since you last calibrated the monitor.

Note: Flat panel display monitors (e.g., Apple Studio Display) do not use brightness and contrast. Instead, they use white point and black point levels to adjust the monitor’s characterization. Because of this, load the ICC profile that comes with your flat panel in Adobe Gamma without modifying the settings except the Description. Make sure to save your profile with a filename that matches the Description name."

The file name of your factory profile is VA720.icm , and it’s contained in the Standard Viewsonic driver.

< http://www.viewsonic.com/support/drivers/drivers.cfm?categor y=1&formName=monitor> is the download page for the drivers.

The general idea, if you don’t have a hardware calibration device, is to simply "massage" the factory profile with Adobe Gamma, to make it the system default monitor profile.

🙂

Brent
DJ
David_Jadhon
Aug 24, 2004
Thanks. And to make the best use of your reply:

warm up the monitor
make certain I have the viewsonic profile
open Adobe Gamma and load the profile and then change the name to include date

I don’t have the User Guides you reference, only PS Elements 2 where you: set the contrast to highest, brightness to where the inner black square is just barely visible, single or RGB gamma where the inner squares should blend into the background, temp, i.e., 6500, etc.

???
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 25, 2004
David,

If you still have problems printing what you see on your monitor after using Elements calibration then you might consider a hardware calibration device like Pantone’s Spyder PhotoCAL. It’s expensive but worth the cost. Depends on how serious you are about color management. I tried Adobe’s calibration but the Spyder worked better. If Adobe calibration works for you then that’s the best of all worlds, of course, and less expensive.

Regards,
Robert Ash

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections