LC
Posted By
Liz_Coldewey
Jun 13, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am sure this question has been asked before, but I am new to this and get lost in a lot of jargon I am unfamiliar with.

I uploaded a design I made which is black with a white background. I need to get the background transparent. Since I didn’t create the design on my computer, it does not have layers I can dissect.

In Microsoft Publisher, I know there is a transparency tool you can use where you click the white background and it disappears. How do I do this on photoshop?

If you could explain in the most lay terms I would greatly appreciate it!

Liz

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
Bernie
Jun 14, 2007
Take the B&W image, invert it, and copy it.

create a fill layer with black, paste the image in that layer’s mask
MC
melissa_causa
Jun 14, 2007
Theres an easier way to do this… choose the magic wand and click on the image… you should see marching ants, then click on the magic eraser tool and click in the background. Voila! Theres your transparent background.
P
Phosphor
Jun 14, 2007
Even better—tweakable and non-destructive:

Use the Blending Options of the Layer Styles dialogue (accessed by the "ƒ" button icon at the bottom of the Layers Palette)..

Grab the right side slider of the top "Blend If…" scale near the bottom of the Blending Options pane of the Layer Styles dialogue box. Move it just a wee bit to the left, from 255 to maybe 253 or so, and you’ll see the white background drop right out.

Click OK, and Save for Web in either PNG or GIF so you can export the image with transparency.
J
jcates
Jul 10, 2007
We just got CS3 (upgraded from CS1). The process under CS1 was to go under ‘help’ and select ‘export transparent image’ to create an EPS with a transparent background.

Has that process changed? There has to be an easier and faster (not to mention more accurate) way than using the magic eraser tool.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections