SF
Posted By
steve_feller
Aug 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a difficult time figuring out how to see just how big or small I am cropping an image. Most of my pictures will be 144×120. With other products, I can see the size of the crop as I am doing it. With Elements I cannot.

I figure this is an easy fix but I can’t figure it out and it is frustrating me. Any help for the clueless will be appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JD
Juergen_D
Aug 24, 2004
Steve,
If you use the Crop Tool you can enter the measurements in the width (144 mm) and height (120 mm) boxes and you will have exactly those dimensions. If you use the Marquee Tool you can use the Fixed Size style. Also you may want to turn on the Rulers (View >Rulers).

Juergen
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 24, 2004
When you say 144 X 120, I assume you’re speaking in millimeters? (Sorry, but I flunked metric!)

You can designate a specific size when using either the Crop tool or the Rectangular marquee tool for cropping. When you select the tool, next look in the Option Bar, and you’ll find a "Style" area. Click on the little triangle in the lower right, and you can then choose "Normal" (the default), "Fixed Aspect Ratio", or "Fixed Size". Choose Fixed Size and type in the size you want, and the selection will be constrained to exactly those dimensions.

If you’re using the Crop tool, also pay attention to the resolution setting in the Option Bar and make sure it’s what you want. If, for example, you’ve been working on an image at 300ppi and the resolution in the Option Bar is set at 72ppi, your image will be automatically resampled at the same time it’s cropped. This can be good if you realize what’s happening, but some people have been surprised to see their pictures turn out less crisp and clear than expected.

Edit: Well, Juergen beat me to it, but I added something about resolution! 🙂
JD
Juergen_D
Aug 24, 2004
Beth,
I only beat you to it because I left out the details (and the resolution)… 🙂

Juergen
B
BobHill
Aug 24, 2004
If you have your Rulers opted for (Control/Command R) you can Right click on the ruler and opt for any number of measurement units, including millimeters and pixels to go by. If you drag from the upper left of the rulers you can establish the 0/0 point where ever you wish to drop it.

Bob
SF
steve_feller
Aug 29, 2004
Thanks guys.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections