Curves adjustmentlayer in cs4, are there any way to get it to work like in cs3?

E
Posted By
einar
Mar 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello

I do all my adjustments in layeradjustment layers and the new input window for curves arent as responsive as "normal" curves interface.. Are there any way to go around this or do I need to go back to cs3 🙁 Realy love the rotate canvas feature so dont want to..

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Mar 4, 2009
Try installing the Curves-Dialog panel available here:

< http://www.jnack.com/adobe/configurator/Curves-Dialog.mxp.zi p>
E
einar
Mar 4, 2009
that worked, but was stil a bit more easy in cs3.. Do u know why the panelcurves adjuster are slow, the refresh of the panel itself or?
R
Ram
Mar 4, 2009
I don’t see any slowness here whatsoever in regard to Curves or sliders.

?
E
einar
Mar 4, 2009
U have a speedy mac then? I am working on a macbook 17 2,16ghz. Its only in the new adjuster I get slow response, if I do normal curves its just as speedy as cs3
R
Ram
Mar 5, 2009
Sorry, I had missed your post.

have a speedy mac then?

Quite the opposite. My machine technically is not even supported in CS4 as it does not meet the official minimum requirements. Works outstandingly well, though.

Dual bootable, DP MDD 1.25GHz G4 (2004), maxed out at 2GB of RAM, both Spotlight and Dashboard disabled, Photoshop primary scratch disk on dedicated 160GB internal drive, at least 100GB available on each of the four internal drives, up to 300GB on some. Counting external FW drives just over 1TB of drive space available. nVidia GeForce 7800 GS 425MHz 256 MB graphics display card. Processor napping enabled through CHUD 3.5.2.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 5, 2009
Ramon must be working on 500×500 pixel images, if he doesn’t see the massive performance loss with the new curves panel. Either that, or of course its possible he just works at Grandad speed.

It may possibly be an issue with graphics cards, although I’m not sure, Ive never seen the new adjustment panel working as efficiently as the external dialog on any machine in any studio. There is an additional problem in that the old essential easy to use shortcuts (for example command to place points) are now gone in the new panel.

There is a MUCH better solution than using the Configurator panel. Using Actions made up in CS3. These actions will bring up new curves dialog with a simple keyboard shortcut – you need to create a different shortcut to create and modify the curve.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
What on Earth prompted you to post such nonsense, Mark?

Absurd. Not worth a response, a snide comment, yes; but not a response.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
Maybe it’s that sickly Leopard that slows you down.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2009
There is an additional problem in that the old easy to use shortcuts (for example command to place points) are now gone in the new panel.

It has changed in that you now have to click I (to get the eyedropper) before you can use Cmd to place points on an Adjustment Curve.

The TAT tool now does that also (a shortcut is urgently need for the TAT tool!); and you now use + or – to cycle between placed points as you noted.

The panel itself is too large and intrusive so I let it float & summon and dismiss it with my F5 key.

I don’t find it any slower than in CS3 on my machine: it reacts instantaneously (but I do have an OpenGL- supporting video card although I doubt if that makes much difference). However, I do think that the new Adjustment Panel needs a lot more work — has been badly thought out and executed.

What is pretty silly is that Adobe kept the use of Cmd to set a point for the regular Curves palette; but disabled it for Adjustment Layer Curves.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
Ann,

Can you clarify whether you have installed the Curves-Dialog panel mentioned in #1? (Not the Configurator as Mark mentions in his drunken post.)
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
Hey, Mark:

Where do you even get such tiny files, 500 x 500 pixels? My smallest digital files are 3008×2008 pixels, my negative scans MUCH larger.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2009
Can you clarify whether you have installed the Curves-Dialog panel mentioned in #1?.

I hadn’t. But I will.
E
einar
Mar 6, 2009
I am sorry to say but I agree with what mark are saying.. I have now tried cs4 on more macs same problem with speed, and 1 of them are a new best of everyting macpro. I am going back to cs3 the rotate command arent worth it.
I feel that cs was great, cs 2 sucked (slow) cs3 super super and now cs4 same as cs2.. strange
V
v6v6v6
Mar 6, 2009
I’m honestly surprised to see that Ramon wants to even continue the conversation with you since this involves a notebook… haha, just kidding. 🙂 But back on topic, I gotta say I haven’t experienced any lag on my system, either. I run a MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz with 2 GB RAM, 256 MB VRAM.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2009
I suspect that the slowness may directly relate to the video card that you are using because CS4 if far faster than CS3 was for me — although it might be another Tiger/Leopard difference?
E
einar
Mar 6, 2009
what size photos are u working on? And also I cant get a sharp image zoomed out unless I set gauche to 1 and then the redraw are silly slow:( Arent cs4 suposed to be better in that area?
I typicaly work on 60-150mb photos 8bit or duble in 16bit
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
This is what the Curves-Dialog Panel looks like once it’s installed. Clicking on either button evokes an instantaneous, lightning-fast, immediate response.

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1xNbOaORZLoY5xcqe1 CfO7oY8vw9Tq1>

Just name your new adjustment layer and you can work on the old Curves Adjustment Layer Panel just as fast as you ever wish you could have in CS3.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
I work on bigger files that einar.
E
einar
Mar 6, 2009
well its not the speed of the open window comand thats the problem, its when u do adjustments. Bigger files than that? from what? largeformat film scanns or something?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2009
25 MB 16-bits per Channel are the smallest and my scanned files are much larger !20 MB and larger.

What video card do you have?

Maybe it’s not sufficient to support OpenGL you will need to disable Open GL?

I only have 7.5 GB RAM but it seems to be sufficient.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
Guess I should have included a second screen shot of the Curves Panel already opened through the Curves-Dialog Panel.

Here it is, to the right of the previous screen shot:

< http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1xNbOaORZLoY5xcqe1 CfO7oY8vw9Tq1> ___ < http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=1NkJHGwK4aKSWSs50n LZiKPwFp4gXF>
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
einar,

Both digital files from 3008×2008 up to 4256×2832 pixels and film scans, usually 6×9 negatives, all of them in 16 bit, always.

Yes, the sliders and curve points are responsive, no delays there at all.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2009
Re
Ann Shelbourne, "Curves adjustmentlayer in cs4, are there any way to get it to work like in cs3?" #9, 5 Mar 2009 4:24 pm </webx?14/8>

So I bashed Extension Manager on the head with a two-pound sledge and it has now recovered!

[Actually I trashed its Prefs,, dragged the App itself out of the Apps. Folder and then replaced it and it seems to have regained its senses.]

And the the Curves-Dialog panel is now installed!

Happy days are here again!!!!

🙂 🙂
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
Glad you like it, Ann. 🙂
E
einar
Mar 6, 2009
6132×8176 are twice that size… Going to try and turn of opengl, but if that works I cant use the rotate tool and then cs3 are better anyhow:(
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
6132×8176 are twice that size…

What? Where did you learn your arithmetic? At some Amish school where the teachers are all 8th-grade graduates? 😉

A 6×9 scan at a lowly 2440spi is 36,600 pixels x 54,900 pixels.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2009
Einar:

You may need to buy a better video card — I had to.

(And I had only just bought a new one less than a year before that!)

——–
The Curves-Dialog panel is great but I still need my F5 Adjustments Panel-Basher for the other kinds of Adjustment Layers unfortunately.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
I don’t think Mark or einar have tried the Curves-Dialog panel mentioned in #1. :/
E
einar
Mar 6, 2009
was talking about the digital files.. in my country there arent many still using scans for comercial work atleast… and A 6×9 scan at a lowly 2440spi is 36,600 pixels x 54,900 pixels are realy an overkill if u ask me
E
einar
Mar 6, 2009
einar – 5:59am Mar 4, 09 PST (#2 of 29)
that worked, but was stil a bit more easy in cs3.. Do u know why the panelcurves adjuster are slow, the refresh of the panel itself or?

so yes I have tried it …
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
The Curves-Dialog panel is great but I still need my F5 Adjustments Panel-Basher for the other kinds of Adjustment Layers unfortunately.

Either the same author or someone else will eventually add buttons for some or all of the other adjustment layers, I hope. It’s allegedly a trivial task—for those who enjoy engaging in that kind of exercise.
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
so yes I have tried it

Well, it’s not slow here at all. Must be your laptop (which you didn’t mention until #4). :/
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 6, 2009
Einar:

A laptop? I hope that you are using an external FWD for Scratch with that?

If you are not, that would be the first thing to try.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 6, 2009
" I am sorry to say but I agree with what mark are saying.. I have now tried cs4 on more macs same problem with speed, and 1 of them are a new best of everyting macpro. I am going back to cs3 the rotate command arent worth it."

I have to say, despite dumb adjustments, I still prefer CS4 more than CS3. Speed is generally improved overall, especially on professional resolution files (Ramon please take note. Thats a joke by the way). Zooming, which I habitually do far too much of, is much faster, both using Open GL and not. Flick panning is much nicer than CS3. Painting feels more fluid somehow, and more responsive.

I can only use CS4 at all, because I accidentally found a work around for the dumb Adjustments issue, I’ve always used my F key shortcuts for this so its an auto response. If this had been changed and downgraded permanently to the knock-em-over-the-head Adjustments Panel I would have been on CS3 until someone at Adobe finally saw the light, maybe 6 years down the line.
E
einar
Mar 6, 2009
only thing I can see improved speed on are filters.. don`t get this…
R
Ram
Mar 6, 2009
Incidentally, einar, did you apply the Photoshop 11.0.1 update?
E
einar
Mar 6, 2009
yes I did, turning of vertical sync helped abit and also increasing cache lv. But stil the new way to handle adjustmentlayers are to shitty for me to upgrade to cs4, stikking to cs3 until the problem are solved:)
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Mar 6, 2009
Despite the many major improvements in a broad range of features in CS4, I’m still as uncomfortable with the operation of the Curves adjustment panel as I was on day one when the software was released. Although Camera Raw in Bridge or PS CS4 is not may main Raw converter, it is such a pleasure to use the old keyboard shortcuts for Point-Curves tonal adjustments there. I really don’t understand why the choice was made to have Curves function as it does in the adjustment panels which, besides, are afflicted with a host of glitches and inconsistencies in their functioning. The option should be available to have a choice of true ‘legacy’ functioning for the Curves adjustment panel. PS CS4 has so much going for it that it really doesn’t need such detracting novelty as is currently imposed.
-macman
Mar 6, 2009
Any interesting perspective of curves: <http://www.scottkelby.com/blog/2009/archives/3723>
E
einar
Mar 6, 2009
lol

Found this comment in the link u gave:)

Vince says:
March 6, 2009 at 1:41 pm
How come no vote for “more than ever”? With the improved curves of CS4 it’s never been more effective.
P
pfigen
Mar 7, 2009
As someone who processes a LOT of raw image, I still use Curves as often or more than ever. I’m also one who does not use ACR/LR, as the quality of the raw conversions just does not get to the level of either CaptureOne or RawDeveloper on many levels, especially on a workflow when C1 is involved.

There are a lot of people working on images who are satisfied with what they get from ACR/LR and are not even aware that there are other options out there. For someone like myself, a professional photographer and retoucher, I’m always after that last bit of image quality, and that’s what I get using Curves and applications like C1 and RD to provide a great starting point.

The *improvements* in the various color adjustments only show how out of touch the product managers are with real people doing real work. There are far too many instances of an action requiring two or three extra mouse clicks or inexplainable changes in well worn keyboard shortcuts. To me it feels too much like the new features were designed by people who never actually used the program and had a short deadline.
E
einar
Mar 7, 2009
Mostly I use curves for retouching areas, dont even have shortcut for "normal" curves, only for the layered one. I work only with retouching so overal color are mb 5% of the work I do in a photo. So mb its better with this new stuff for photographers but for more advanced/more work on 1 image I miss cs3 adjustmentlayers.
With cs2 adobe showed they dint care much about a fast program to catch a deadline, but cs3 changed that, sad why they did it again with cs4..
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 7, 2009
I think that they do have real people (retouchers and pre-press people) contributing to the development.

Its just that there’s been a shift, with Knack and people like him preferring to give priority to those that are more non-experienced users. Its important to realise that users with very little actual time on the job very often think they are a lot more experienced than they are in Photoshop. Why? because its so well designed and easy to learn superficially, pretty well everyone thinks they are an expert, even after a few months. That’s an odd tribute and a credit to Photoshop’s design and its discoverability. Its a real mistake to prioritize those that want to just dip into Photoshop, rather than use it day in day out.

There’s this odd opinion "Oh the interface is off-putting and overblown" – so much time has been wasted trying to deal with this non-issue. Lightroom has been developed with this in mind, and although its interface has been very well designed for its job, it has a relatively very small group of functions to support at only version 2.

Photoshop is far and away the most popular and accessible Graphics application for a reason, its power, combined with its intuitive design and implementation. And please, from now on, if it aint broke don’t fix it.
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 7, 2009
Einar your shortcut for ‘Normal’ curves is Command M. Or maybe control, you seem to be on a PC
GB
g_ballard
Mar 7, 2009
I’m still as uncomfortable with the operation of the Curves adjustment
panel as I was on day one when the software was released.

Agreed! I use Adjustment Layers extensively and hate the CS4 behavior.

Moreover, when I move a slider in SELECTIVE COLOR, I can’t drag it back to zero — it is either +1 or -1 reguiring me to click in the panel and type a zero — IS EVERYONE ELSE HAVING TO DO THIS or did I get a special version of CS4 Ps?
P
pfigen
Mar 7, 2009
Gary,

I have no problem moving the Selective Color sliders back to zero. You must have gotten the special version.
E
einar
Mar 7, 2009
nope I dont have that short cut, if I do apple M I get up curvesadjustment layer as I said I dont have "normal" on shortcut, or atleast in cs3 it did work
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Mar 7, 2009
g ballard – 5:22pm Mar 6, 09 PST (#45 of 47)

I’m still as uncomfortable with the operation of the Curves adjustment panel as I was on day one when the software was released. Agreed! I use Adjustment Layers extensively and hate the CS4 behavior.

Moreover, when I move a slider in SELECTIVE COLOR, I can’t drag it back to zero — it is either +1 or -1 reguiring me to click in the panel and type a zero — IS EVERYONE ELSE HAVING TO DO THIS or did I get a special version of CS4 Ps?

I think I got the special version also, but I haven’t begun to derive a philosophy from this yet although in preparation I have been increasing my reading in entomology.
E
einar
Mar 7, 2009
Vel I do get it to go to 0 with my mouse, but it arent as easy as before, just like it doesent like to go to 0…
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 7, 2009
In Selective Colour, if you Option double click on the ink (CMYK) names – it should take the sliders back to zero. It works on mine. If it doesn’t work on yours then you got a special version, and need to trash your prefs

In some adjustments (like hue/sat) – this daft Option double click behaviour interferes with scrubby sliders, and as a result it should really be changed to Option/Command double click to zero the values. Its now extremely difficult to operate the sliders when using a Wacom. All your hard work getting precisely the right value, is continually reset.

In Selective color scrubby sliders were not available in CS3, so THATS a rare improvement actually
GB
g_ballard
Mar 7, 2009
Ralph Eisenberg) I think I got the special version also

einr) it doesent like to go to 0…

Are you saying you, too, can’t drag the Selective Sliders back to zero (like I am experiencing)?

Why can’t we just slide the point back to zero?

Why do we have to learn a new keyboard trick to do something so basic as to move a slider back to zero?

If that is scrubby behavior, please give me an option to simply drag the slider where I want it.

+++++++

Also the overall pallet behavior is a real pain to use.

I set and Save my pallets how I want them on a second monitor.

When I want to see some like Info, Styles they move across other pallets (hiding them) making me have to stop and figure out how to…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Mar 7, 2009
I can drag Sliders back to Zero but why on earth zero-ing is not available on a Cmd Double-Click is beyond belief.

The Adjustment Layer Panel was badly thought-out and implemented — and is in need of a Total Redesign but I doubt if we will get that in a Dot Release.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 8, 2009
Ann) I can drag Sliders back to Zero

Ann, I am talking about the sliders in the new Ps CS4 Selective Color Adjustments Panel (not the normal Selective Color dialog that pops up like it does in other versions).

Once I touch a slider there, the "zero" is no longer available for be to drag back to zero — it goes -1 to +1.

And if I want to get back to zero, I have to highlight the number and type in a zero.

Also, if I hit Esc to get out of the panel, it still leaves the setting and Adjustment Layer in place.

I can’t imagine WHY you are seeing anything different there — unless if it is to do with 10.5 and Intel Mac Pro — but this is extremely annoying interface to deal with.
P
pfigen
Mar 8, 2009
Gary,

I’m on a new MacPro running 10.5.6 and am not seeing what you’re seeing. I wonder if it’s a video card phenomenon. There seem to be so many unforseen issues in the interaction between the application and different hardware and OS configurations.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 8, 2009
thanks, pfigen, that is helpful to know it is working (I am assuming you mean only the "zero" slider issue in Selective Color Adj Panel?)

I am also beginning to wonder about video card problems, specifically running three monitors off two matching Apple OEM cards — I am having too many problems here — just about ready to toast a new HD and start over with the suspects (so I can say I told Adobe/Apple so, I suppose)

to top it off this 10.5.6 machine doesn’t stay logged in to this forum — my other 10.4 and 10.3 machines do — god I love computers
R
Ram
Mar 8, 2009
G B,

this 10.5.6 machine doesn’t stay logged in to this forum — my other 10.4 and 10.3 machines do

It has to do with whether you logged in on those machines during "Black Friday" and/or the weekend immediate following it. It has nothing to do with the OS.

Those of us who did log in on "Black Friday" were forced to "associate" our user accounts to our Adobe registration accounts and had our cookies reset from permanent to expire after each session, i.e. when we quit our browser.

The machines that didn’t log in during those three (maybe four) days retained the permanent cookies.

Forum Operations is working on it with WebX and they hope it will be fixed by the time of the changeover to the new forum software late this month or next. :/
B
Buko
Mar 8, 2009
G, You have a Lemon. you need a new computer.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 8, 2009
You have a Lemon. you need a new computer.

I had a new 4-core 2.66 Mac Pro with (running 3 monitors on two matched Apple OEM cards with the same CS3 Ps problems under Leopard) that I replaced with a new 8-core on that theory.

The CS3-Leopard problem followed the new machine and into CS4-Leopard…

I also duplicated the problem in 10 minutes on an Adobe machine working remotely just where I told the engineer it was crashing so I am not 100% sold on the bad hardware theory, but the 11.0.1 update has made my machine unusable even outside the problem workflow.

I think I will start a new thread about running three monitors on matched OEM Apple cards, on Mac Pros running Leopard…meantime I will for the Seagates to go on sale at Frys.
B
Buko
Mar 8, 2009
You have poltergeists living in your computers.
E
einar
Mar 8, 2009
what I dont get is why there arent a legacy button like on levels. The legasy on levels werent even usefull, can just use curves instead if u want it to clip the shadows/highlights.. Lets start a campain for legasy option on adjustment layers!!!
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 8, 2009
I’m sorry that I didn’t read this entire thread. So if this was raised already g, please just ignore.

If I double click (not option, command, or shift, just plain double click) on a slider’s NAME in the Selective Color ADJUSTMENT panel, the setting for that color jumps back to 0. This is not happening for you?

(Oh, and did I mention I’ve not read this entire thread?)
GB
g_ballard
Mar 8, 2009
double click on a slider’s NAME in the Selective Color ADJUSTMENT panel,
the setting for that color jumps back to 0

Viola! Doug you know your stuff, that is very helpful…
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 8, 2009
(… and I didn’t even read the entire thread….)
GB
g_ballard
Mar 8, 2009
I don’t want to ask how you know that…
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 9, 2009
This whole double clicking on a name and resetting to zero, must be one of the most profoundly, and obviously stupid minor interface decisions taken for a while. With a Wacom tablet its pretty well impossible NOT to accidentally double click and lose your settings. The one place scrubby sliders are EXTREMELY useful has been Adjustment layers, where subtle adjustmenst are a must. This new ‘feature’ is a truly idiotic addition, and flies in the face of anyone who actually knows what they are doing in the software. Your settings are mostly lost and not always retrievable with Command Z

This happens in both the modal dialog and the Panel, and is a bloody stupid change – really
GB
g_ballard
Mar 15, 2009
I went back to a long session in Ps CS3 trying to get some work done ———— it was a real pleasure to use the CS3 Adjustment Layer interface…
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 15, 2009
Yeah in that respect its a relief to be back in CS3. If I’ve got a job which is mainly color correction, I will choose CS3 over CS4 because the interface in CS4 just doesn’t cut it.
GB
g_ballard
Mar 15, 2009
he interface in CS4 just doesn’t cut it.

worse that a cut, it’s bloody painful — I still don’t have it figured out
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah they will say that people "just havent given it time". But the problem is a lot of the old shortcut functionailty has now gone…

Two examples – and Hue/sat where color ranges could be defined with Option and Command. Now its necessary, if you are using the panel, to click the tiny plus and minus icons to change ranges. Curves – for proper use it used to be so easy to place points and navigate between them – its now a question of clicking small icons in the badly designed adjustment panel. The plus minus keys to change toggle between points is a pain whichever method you use. Using the Scrubby sliders to make SUBTLE adjustments is no longer possible, requiring manually clicking in entry boxes and entering figures sometimes.

and so on, and so on … is anyone listening?
RE
Ralph_Eisenberg
Mar 16, 2009
It is such a relief to return to the CS3 Adjustment Layer interface and keyboard shortcuts. Since I adopted a policy of ‘ forced abstinence’ and ‘one day at a time’ in order to conform to the admonition of the compact majority that I "just hadn’t given CS4 enough time", that all would fall into place and I would eventually see the light if I stuck with it and persevered. Well I have seen the light in the many enhancements and improvements in functionality in CS4, but this does not extend to the Adjustment layer panels and their operation, which are cumbersome, top-heavy and glitch-ridden.
S
Studiograph
Mar 23, 2009
I have to agree with einar – the adjustment layer panel in CS4 is sluggish and nowhere near as smooth as the traditional dialogue boxes. I am using a 3Ghz iMac with 4GB RAM and a 512MG VRAM graphics card – is that classed as slow these days?

Curves in particular are clunky and quite nasty to use. I can’t just make a new curves layer and hover over the image to get some values anymore. There also is no ‘solid colour’ button on the adjustment panel.

Photoshop CS4 is a massive disappointment to me, with the good things being outweighed by the bad. Some of the screen redraw is dreadfully slow when you have a number of masks active.
EC
eddie caruso
Mar 23, 2009
Post feedback of your feelings about the adjustment panel on John Nack’s blog: < http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/03/adjustments_and_the_fut ure.html>

Apparently this is a first draft of the direction they are going to go with in the future, too bad those of us who purchased CS4 have to work with this panel now.
Maybe if enough customers speak out they will enable the old workflow as an option at least. The panel is really poorly designed and they should know about it.
R
Ram
Mar 23, 2009
Don’t miss this Julianne Kost video:

<http://tv.adobe.com/?promoid=DRHXB#vi+f15629v1003>
MR
Mark_Reynolds
Mar 23, 2009
"too bad those of us who purchased CS4 have to work with this panel now" Eddie – you can still get the modal Curves adjustment layer, if you are prepared to customize F key actions and you still have CS3 installed on your machine.

That Julianne Kost video makes incorrect claims, its certainly not more fluid. Interactive maybe, but its a lot slower if you always customized shortcuts to bring up your adjustments. There are only two items of genuinely new functionality – non destructive feathering, and the TAT. Its much slower to operate and the loss of shortcuts is too much of a loss.

Looks like we are going to be on CS4 for a while, if this is a taste of the future.
T
T._Schmidt
Mar 23, 2009
Everybody who isn’t happy with the AP should read this and can complain in the comments. I suggest to do so, after all, it got us rid of the weird Screen mode of CS3, so it might work again. Remember, the purpose is not to kill the Adjustment Panel, just get them to also offer the old way additionally. No recoding is necessary, as the dialogs are still there, they’re just not available to us as they used to.

< http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/03/adjustments_and_the_fut ure.html>

< http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/03/the_design_of_adjustmen ts.html>

< http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/03/polishing_the_adjustmen ts_panel.html>

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections