PA
Posted By
Patti Anderson
Aug 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I decided to start a new thread on this topic. I have not installed the XP/SP2, but am weeding/reading through all the discussions/info and waiting to see how others fair from this upgrade before I attempt it. I have a firewall with my anti-virus software, PC-cillin, so do I need this SP2?

Like Kenneth in the previous Iranview thread topic, maybe I am nervous about nothing, but I don’t need the headache right now if it’s going to cause a lot of conflicts with PSE and other programs I have that are on "the list."

My question PSE or other software…or is it a given? How do they expect uninformed users to deal with this?

Biding my time…
Patti

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Aug 22, 2004
Patti,

I sitting on the fence watching also.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Aug 22, 2004
Patti, I went looking for SP2, and it tells me that it will only be installed if I have Automatic Updates turned ‘on’. I do, so whenever it happens, I’ll let you know….if I can still communicate with the ‘Net!

Chuck (living dangerously…)
RF
Robert_F_Carruth
Aug 22, 2004
Chuck,

Hope you’re not on dialup. It’s going to be a big one even if you have Windows completely up to date.

It’s always nice not to have to do it twice in the event of a Windows repair or reload. Sometime later this month you can get a free cd from Microsoft here:

< http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdo rder/en_us/default.mspx>

Patti,

According to the more adventuresome members on the Dell Forum if you do have problems in the event that you try it you can successfully remove SP2 through Control Panel Add/Remove programs. Word of warning though. Don’t attempt to do a System Restore to a point prior to installing SP2. In most cases the only recovery from the resulting "blue screen of death" is a clean install of Windows.

It’s my understanding that most of the Software problems are related to MS’s new Firewall which will be on by default and that turning it off fixes things.

Bob
J
John
Aug 22, 2004
Although I’ve read scattered reports of issues with the upgrade, I can report (based on my own experience on three very different machines) no issues. As others have pointed out, the firewall is enabled by default, so you may need to tweak for some applications. In addition, Elements help files rely on what SP2 calls "active content" in the browser, which is disabled by default in SP2. You can override this on a page-by-page basis (you’re prompted what to do) or can turn this security feature off entirely. My machines are also perceptibly faster since the upgrade (maybe just because some many files were rewritten during the upgrade, i.e., fixing some "Windows rot"). As always, YMMV.

– John

"Patti Anderson" wrote in message
I decided to start a new thread on this topic. I have not installed the XP/SP2, but am weeding/reading through all the discussions/info and waiting to see how others fair from this upgrade before I attempt it. I have a firewall with my anti-virus software, PC-cillin, so do I need this SP2?
Like Kenneth in the previous Iranview thread topic, maybe I am nervous about nothing, but I don’t need the headache right now if it’s going to cause a lot of conflicts with PSE and other programs I have that are on "the list."

My question PSE or other software…or is it a given? How do they expect uninformed users to deal with this?

Biding my time…
Patti
JM
John_McLean
Aug 22, 2004
I installed SP2 on 8/14 and as of this minute I have not had problem one.

I downloaded the network version and clicked on the .exe and it loaded in about 25 minutes. When it was finished I went to the Security Center and disabled the MS Firewall ( I have Norton Internet Securtiy installed.)

Nothing is different and PSE2 works as well as all the plugins. All connections are fine and and have installed Quicken 2005 and no problems with connections or install.

This is not to say some may have problems, but I did not. Shut of your AV before install and I would also recommend a defrag and check disk before install.

Good luck…

Jack
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 22, 2004
Patti Anderson wrote:

I don’t think you need it.

The list doesn’t mention a lot of conflicts. It is the security aspects of the software that will give problems. As others say, you turn off the firewall (one checkbox) and then the help file error is no more.

Just follow along and read, and then you are informed.

Ed
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 23, 2004
Thanks Ed. BTW, I wasn’t referring to myself as uninformed, but folks like my sister — she doesn’t go much beyond turning the computer on, working in MS Word and checking email. 🙂

To John McClean: I understand that SP2 includes some changes to Internet Explorer (e.g. pop-up ad blocker, new Information Bar, etc.). Have you had a chance to test that out?

Patti
DH
Dave Hamer
Aug 23, 2004
I understand that SP2 includes some changes to Internet Explorer (e.g. pop-up ad blocker, new Information Bar, etc.). Have you had a chance to test that out?
Patti

The pop up blocker works great. It signals that it has blocked a pop up and asks you what you want to do about it.

Dave

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Dave Hamer
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.742 / Virus Database: 495 – Release Date: 8/19/2004
JM
John_McLean
Aug 23, 2004
Popup works fine. You have the option of Popup notification by popup or audio. When there is file download or popup suspicious of damage, it will have you click on the info bar to either pass or delete that item.

I had the MSN bar installed so I don’t notice much difference.

There are no problems with SP2 and my computer….everything works.

Jack
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 25, 2004
Patti Anderson wrote:

Biding my time…
Patti

It may be best to just hold off on the update until you have answers to your questions. In any case, you won’t be any more at risk than you are right now….
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 25, 2004
Dave Hamer wrote:

I understand that SP2 includes some changes to Internet Explorer (e.g. pop-up ad blocker, new Information Bar, etc.). Have you had a chance to test that out?

Patti

The pop up blocker works great. It signals that it has blocked a pop up and asks you what you want to do about it.

Dave

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Dave Hamer
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.742 / Virus Database: 495 – Release Date: 8/19/2004
Does it include an option to force the company using the popup for advertising into bankruptcy? That’s what I would REALLY like to see in a popup blocker!
MI
magic_is_afoot
Aug 25, 2004
I had auto-updates set to notify me when updates were available and let me choose whether or not to download. I got notified a few days ago that SP2 was ready, and I downloaded it over 56K phone modem. I was up-to-date on all critical and security updates, and it took several hours (wasn’t timing it but I’d guess it was 5 or 6 hours) but it downloaded in one session. Then I installed it with no problems. Most changes are security issues and fairly invisible. Before I installed it, I read this article in PC Magazine, and showed the changes exactly as they are.
<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1635831,00.asp> There is a control panel "Security Center" that includes Firewall, Auto-Updates, and Virus Protection, and gives a yellow warning light in system tray if the settings are not as MS recommends or virus checker (or non-MS firewall) is not current. I guess it automatically checks if Virus checker is up-to-date for the common virus protectors and firewalls. Outlook Express by default blocks receiving HTML images in email, but has an easy place to click if you trust the source.
It seems to me that it takes a little while longer to boot up but not a whole lot – maybe just my imagination, or maybe some added security checks.

The one downside I have seen is right here with the Adobe on-line help. From the main support page, "Alert for Microsoft Windows XP users: New security in Service Pack 2 affects the Help systems of most Adobe products. Read more." The "read more" links to
<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330621.html> It gives some work-arounds. When I try it, I get message that it is blocking something, but I am not familiar enough with it yet to see what it did block. But each page with blocked content has an info bar where you can easily click to allow the blocked content.
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 26, 2004
Thanks for that PC Magazine article after reading it, I felt a little better about SP2. In fact, I installed it successfully this afternoon on my laptop. I’m on DSL and it took about 50 minutes from download start…to restarting the computer. I am also using my anti-virus firewall (PC-cillin) and turned off XP’s.

As far as Elements and Photoshop CS’s Help file issue, it’s a bit of a nuisance, but I can live with that.

There is one little glitch I have. When I click on Control Panel, I get an error message: "An error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file, C:\Windows\System32\netsetup.cpl"

If I click OK on the error message Control Panel comes up as usual. Am wondering if it’s just me? If anyone else has this problem or has heard about it, let me know. I can’t find anything yet on the SP2 Support site.

Patti
MI
magic_is_afoot
Aug 26, 2004
Patti,
I don’t have any problem getting my Control Panel with SP2 on a desktop system. I looked up the file your error message mentions. On my system, it is version 5.1.2600.2180 with length 25,600 bytes. It’s description in Properties is "Network Setup Wizard Control Panel Applet". The Control Panel has a "Wireless Network Setup Wizard" which I think is new. I think I read somewhere that SP2 had something to make (wireless) network setup easier but I didn’t pay much attention since I am not networked at all. I have no idea why you are getting an error on it but you might check the SP2 Support site you looked at for something new about networking setup. And maybe check if you have the same verison number of the file as I do, and if you have that Network Setup Wizard on your control panel.
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 26, 2004
My version is the same as yours. I am on a wireless network, but it’s hard for me to see the significance here. The Network Setup Wizard is not in the Control Panel list itself, it only comes up when called (so to speak) when you want to set up a network. I already have that set up. As far as I can tell everything is working just the same with my network.

I sent a message to Microsoft using the Need Help link on the SP2 Support site. They also have a phone number you can call. If I don’t hear from them in a day or so I will call them.

Patti
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 26, 2004
Patti,

You could also post a note to the Microsoft Windows user forum. Just go to Microsoft.com and click on the Support link. It’s under Support Options.

Some of the people who post responses have a title like MSVP or something like that (forgot the exact acronym, it’s been awhile). It means Microsoft expert in whatever area (Windows, Word, etc.).

Anyway, if you type that acronym into your browser address bar and add .org or .com, I forget which, then you can get to the Microsoft expert site and might find help there as well.

Robert
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 26, 2004
Well, they must be working overtime at Microsoft. 😉 The reply to my post to MS was here this morning — early.

The Control Panel error message I was getting is related a third party software from Verizon, my DSL service. I am awaiting one more reply from MS, but I believe the answer is as simple as disabling this item in Startup. Crossing my fingers…

Patti
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 26, 2004
Patti,
They have phone support @ 888-772-4357. I believe that this is a toll free number. Ken
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 26, 2004
Patti,

Well, they must be working overtime at Microsoft. The reply to my post to MS was here this morning — early.

Not necessarily. That forum has a worldwide user base just like ours does here. I think too that there are Microsoft support people who monitor it. Some of them are geeks like us who like working on computer stuff after normal hours 🙂

Folks there are usually pretty good, and it’s much cheaper than calling Microsoft directly 😉

Robert
RV
Robert_Vernon
Aug 27, 2004
I installed it…..and I just got through de-installing it. Why?? It changed all of my Defaults. For example, my default picture editor was Adobe Photoshop Elements. After SP2, it became some product from ArcSoft. Even the tech people at HP could not reset the defaults. So we De-installed! Back on SP1, my Defaults are back to the original, but I am "without" SP2. Now sure what my next step should be.
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
Robert,

Here are a few recommendations:

1) Go to Microsoft.com, click on Windows Update and make sure you have all the latest critical updates and drivers installed.

2) De-install all of the programs which HP loaded on at the factory but which you do not want to use. ArcSoft might be one example. Go into Start / Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs. Make sure to delete things like Gator EWallet and Comet Cursor which are spyware that some computer manufacters pre-install on some systems.

3) Download and run Spybot and Ad-Aware to remove spyware programs from your machine.

4) Finally, if you have any advanced computer expert friends then after the above steps you should have them clean out your Windows registry using a program like RegSupreme. Most programs leave entries in the registry even after you deinstall them (despite what the Windows de-installer is telling you).

The above steps will leave your machine in the best possible state to avoid unnecessary redirects of your defaults. If you can’t do Step 4 then don’t lost too much sleep about it but it’s nice if you know someone who can do this for you.

Then….

5) Call the 888 Microsoft SP2 free support line and run the question by them.

6) Go to Microsoft.com, click on Support Options and then on the user forums link. Post a question about this in the Windows user forum.

Hopefully this will give you some idea of a) whether anyone has seen this problem before and b) hopefully what to do about it.

Robert Ash
J
JesusIsGod
Aug 27, 2004
Robert,

You can also call HP Support and ask for an advanced support analyst. Many time the analysts who first pick up the phone are junior and they usually don’t think to pass you on to someone more advanced, they just try for awhile then say they’re sorry they can’t help you and hang up.

Robert
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 27, 2004
Robert Vernon,

Do you have an Epson "All In One", multifunction device?
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 27, 2004
Robert Vernon,
Also please give us a follow-up here on this thread.
Ken
RH
Ron Hunter
Aug 30, 2004
wrote:
I installed it…..and I just got through de-installing it. Why?? It changed all of my Defaults. For example, my default picture editor was Adobe Photoshop Elements. After SP2, it became some product from ArcSoft. Even the tech people at HP could not reset the defaults. So we De-installed! Back on SP1, my Defaults are back to the original, but I am "without" SP2. Now sure what my next step should be.
You might try installing SP2 again after disabling any firewall or AV programs. I had no such problem with the install.
One program, a Python program, wouldn’t run, but I downloaded the latest version and installed. All is well now. So far, my wife hasn’t found any problems on her machine.
O
o3v3tz
Sep 1, 2004
Hello everyone,

Thought I would report that I ordered the SP2 CD based on the info in this thread that it was now available. Thanks to those who posted that information. Delivery time quoted was something like 4 – 6 weeks – well Ordered on Aug 26 and Received on Aug 31. Guess that they don’t have a backlog yet.

Now I need to be brave enough to install my ISP’s upgrade to their code prior to doing the install of SP2. Their last upgrade was a nightmare…….

BarbO
J
JesusIsGod
Sep 1, 2004
It would be a very good idea to back up your system first with Norton Ghost or equivalent in case something serious goes wrong:

< http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/breakingnews.jhtml? articleId=23905071>

Robert Ash
JH
Jim_Hess
Sep 1, 2004
Well, I went ahead and installed Service Pack 2 last night. I have read a few horror stories that made me concerned. We have a network administrator here at work who hates Microsoft with a passion. He will not allow any but a select few to install Windows XP on their computers. He doesn’t believe in accepting the updates that come from time to time. It is almost comical the way he reacts to some of the Microsoft changes. On Monday I asked him about the Service Pack, and he told me that under no circumstances should I install it on my computer at home. He told me that half of his programs no longer work since he installed it. He said it is "a worthless piece of junk". I have learned that that is my indicator to do just the opposite. The installation went very smoothly, and everything worked perfectly after I was finished. When I started Nero Burning ROM I did receive a message that it wasn’t compatible with this version of Windows. But I chose to continue anyway, and it burned a DVD without a problem. Anyway, no problems with Service Pack 2 here. But what I don’t understand is that I read the warning from Adobe about the help file not working properly. I opened the help file and everything worked the way I normally use it. I didn’t change any of the security settings in Windows.
MI
magic_is_afoot
Sep 1, 2004
Jim Hess said:
"But what I don’t understand is that I read the warning from Adobe about the help file not working properly. I opened the help file and everything worked the way I normally use it."

What I have found is that when I go to Help from the main menu bar, it works just as always. But when I click on a Help within a dialog box, I get the new IE message that some content, probably script or ActiveX, was blocked. But I do get the full help page, just not the Table of Contents in the separate frame on the left, which is very minor. And you can still get the Table of Contents frame if you click on the IE message and select "allow blocked content".
R
RobertHJones
Sep 1, 2004
Jim,

In my opinion, based upon your description, your administrator (or whoever is setting the policy he’s following) is being very foolish. Such an attitude is a recipe for setting your company up for a potentially very disasterous security compromise and possible loss of ability to conduct business. Without appropriate due dilligence, your company could also find themselves subject to some pretty hefty legal liabilities. I hope he at least has a rigorous and enforced virus screening policy in place, he’s going to need it.

I am retired now but I was a senior level IT manager whose area of responsibility included networking and security. If an employee had come to my attention with such an attitude I would immediately have had a serious talk with him about how much he wanted to remain in our employ.

Bob
JH
Jim_Hess
Sep 1, 2004
Bob,

I appreciate your comments. This guy is absolutely unbelievable. I started using Microsoft Access with the ’97 version. I went to this guy when Access 2000 was released, and he went ballistic. He told me there would never be a need to upgrade from ’97 and that I was to put that idea out of my mind. The next thing I knew my database users were calling with problems because they had received new computers and things were not working correctly. Turns out he was installing Access 2000, and now Access XP without even telling me what is going on. He gets angry with me because I do automatic updates on my Windows 2000 computer. He seems to have the attitude that Microsoft isn’t going to tell him what to do. I know, it sounds unbelievable, and you may think I’m exaggerating. But this is the most ridiculous IT administrator I have ever known.
RH
Ron Hunter
Sep 2, 2004
o3v3tz wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thought I would report that I ordered the SP2 CD based on the info in this thread that it was now available. Thanks to those who posted that information. Delivery time quoted was something like 4 – 6 weeks – well Ordered on Aug 26 and Received on Aug 31. Guess that they don’t have a backlog yet.

Now I need to be brave enough to install my ISP’s upgrade to their code prior to doing the install of SP2. Their last upgrade was a nightmare…….

BarbO

I have never used any ISP that insists on installing ANYTHING on my computer. There are ones that don’t, and I recommend you find one such.

It might be better to install that update, and make sure it is working before you do the SP2 upgrade so you won’t be confused about where to look if something doesn’t work.
RH
Ron Hunter
Sep 2, 2004
wrote:

Well, I went ahead and installed Service Pack 2 last night. I have read a few horror stories that made me concerned. We have a network administrator here at work who hates Microsoft with a passion. He will not allow any but a select few to install Windows XP on their computers. He doesn’t believe in accepting the updates that come from time to time. It is almost comical the way he reacts to some of the Microsoft changes. On Monday I asked him about the Service Pack, and he told me that under no circumstances should I install it on my computer at home. He told me that half of his programs no longer work since he installed it. He said it is "a worthless piece of junk". I have learned that that is my indicator to do just the opposite. The installation went very smoothly, and everything worked perfectly after I was finished. When I started Nero Burning ROM I did receive a message that it wasn’t compatible with this version of Windows. But I chose to continue anyway, and it burned a DVD without a problem. Anyway, no problems with Service Pack 2 here. But what I don’t understand is that I read the warning from Adobe about the help file not working properly. I opened the help file and everything worked the way I normally use it. I didn’t change any of the security settings in Windows.

As you have concluded, your network admin. is an idiot. Some past Windows updates have caused problems with commercial installations, and rather than do his job and apply the fixes, and then correct the problems, he is taking the dangerous, and negative approach of not doing his job.

I applied the SP2 update to both my computers and only one program broke, and that was easily corrected by downloading the latest version and installing it.
RH
Ron Hunter
Sep 2, 2004
wrote:

Jim Hess said: "But what I don’t understand is that I read the warning from Adobe about the help file not working properly. I opened the help file and everything worked the way I normally use it."
What I have found is that when I go to Help from the main menu bar, it works just as always. But when I click on a Help within a dialog box, I get the new IE message that some content, probably script or ActiveX, was blocked. But I do get the full help page, just not the Table of Contents in the separate frame on the left, which is very minor. And you can still get the Table of Contents frame if you click on the IE message and select "allow blocked content".

Or if you just don’t have IE set as your default browser, but rather something like Mozilla Firefox.
RH
Ron Hunter
Sep 2, 2004
wrote:

Jim,

In my opinion, based upon your description, your administrator (or whoever is setting the policy he’s following) is being very foolish. Such an attitude is a recipe for setting your company up for a potentially very disasterous security compromise and possible loss of ability to conduct business. Without appropriate due dilligence, your company could also find themselves subject to some pretty hefty legal liabilities. I hope he at least has a rigorous and enforced virus screening policy in place, he’s going to need it.

I am retired now but I was a senior level IT manager whose area of responsibility included networking and security. If an employee had come to my attention with such an attitude I would immediately have had a serious talk with him about how much he wanted to remain in our employ.
Bob
The company I last worked for (retired) had a policy similar to the one he described. Then the worm got into the IIS servers and wrecked havoc with the WHOLE NETWORK. Getting it all back up was a 24 hour job, and I suspect some people lost their jobs over it (they should have). Perhaps it is because of things like that that the company went bankrupt…
RH
Ron Hunter
Sep 2, 2004
wrote:

Bob,

I appreciate your comments. This guy is absolutely unbelievable. I started using Microsoft Access with the ’97 version. I went to this guy when Access 2000 was released, and he went ballistic. He told me there would never be a need to upgrade from ’97 and that I was to put that idea out of my mind. The next thing I knew my database users were calling with problems because they had received new computers and things were not working correctly. Turns out he was installing Access 2000, and now Access XP without even telling me what is going on. He gets angry with me because I do automatic updates on my Windows 2000 computer. He seems to have the attitude that Microsoft isn’t going to tell him what to do. I know, it sounds unbelievable, and you may think I’m exaggerating. But this is the most ridiculous IT administrator I have ever known.

Uhhh, YOU shouldn’t be doing these updates, but HE should. Doing critical updates is something that should be done, but HE should be doing it! One can’t maintain a network unless he knows what is on it, and if he did his job correctly, you wouldn’t be ABLE to do the updates, only request them.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections