How do I change the background of a logo without losing the letters?

GD
Posted By
Greg_D
Jun 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I have a logo such as <http://photobucket.com>

How do I keep the letters but change the background to a certain color? I am using it for a presentation, I know how to use the eye dropper to select the right color, but I am having trouble figuring out how to actually change the color without covering the letters.

Help is appreciated!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Jun 12, 2007
You’d be better off just recreating the logo (extremely simple), keeping the text unflattened. That way you could do whatever you want with the background, at will and experimentally, with out compromising the quality of the text.
GD
Greg_D
Jun 12, 2007
I am very new to PS and am not familiar with how to recreate the logo. What are the steps to do that? Also, how do I keep the text unflattened?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 12, 2007
EZ quick way: Alt-dounble-click the Background in the Layers palette to make it a Layer. Go to Channels. Double-click on the RGB channel to get the marching ants selection. Ctrl-Shift-I to inverse.

Back on the Layers click the mask icon at the bottom of the palette. It’s the one that looks like a broken line circle. That gives you a Layer Mask and the type will now be on a transparent background. Ctrl-click the New Layer icon (looks lie a piece of paper) to make a layer below and choose your new color.

Alt-Delete to fill bottom layer with the new color. Now Save however you want.

<http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/goldbondlogo_green.jpg>

The type won’t be editable as in Phos’s method, but I bet it will take a lot less time.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 12, 2007
Further experimentation shows me that the Green channel would be a better bet to use than the RGB channel to make the selection.
GD
Greg_D
Jun 12, 2007
I give up! LOL

It’s taking too much time for something not that important. If someone wants to add color Pantone 7404 C to the background I would appreciate it!!!
B
Bernie
Jun 12, 2007
No problem, how much are you willing to pay?
GD
Greg_D
Jun 12, 2007
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 12, 2007
Pantone 7404 C ?

I gotta tell you, a small jpg file like this is not very good for print, if that’s what you intend. I was thinking HTML or PowerPoint or something like that.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 12, 2007
CN has a point. That’s why there are graphics professionals, and that’s why they get the big bucks. It only looks easy ‘cuz we’re so good.

But see what you can do with what I sent you.
GD
Greg_D
Jun 12, 2007
If you open up the color picker options, go to color libraries. It’s about 25% up from bottom and the color is called pantone 7404 C
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Jun 12, 2007
I know what it is. Wasn’t sure you knew how to get to it.

Once you have it, Alt-Delete on that layer will fill with the color. That’s all there is to it.
GD
Greg_D
Jun 12, 2007
sweet…I’m gonna go try it. Thanks!
GD
Greg_D
Jun 12, 2007
Done! Thanks Ed!!!!!!!!
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 13, 2007
Greg D, "How do I change the background of a logo without losing the letters?" #7, 12 Jun 2007 11:25 am </cgi-bin/webx?14/6>

BRILLIANT!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections