AM
Posted By
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Aug 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This seems to be a Windows conflict. I updated my computer and can report that so far, Elements II remains fully functional. But after installing S P 2 for Windows XP, I am distressed to find that whenever I open IrfanView, the Windows O/S restarts video in what seems like ‘safe mode’.

The video card driver is NVIDIA 6.1.7.7.

The IrfanView version is 3.92.

Irfan Skiljan claims my video driver may be corrupt; so I rolled back the driver. Still no luck. Does anyone know a ‘work around’ for this problem?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 21, 2004
Have you tried asking this question of the Irfanview people?! 🙂 It really does seem like the better place to start, if you haven’t already done that.
AM
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Aug 21, 2004
"Irfan Skiljan claims my video driver may be corrupt; so I rolled back the driver. Still no luck. Does anyone know a ‘work around’ for this problem?"

You mean there are other Irfanview people? Other than Irfan himself?
BH
Beth_Haney
Aug 22, 2004
Sorry; I did miss seeing Irfan’s name at the bottom of the post. I assumed he might have provided some kind of a forum for users of his software, but clearly I was wrong! I use a Mac so have never looked for one.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 22, 2004
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY wrote:
This seems to be a Windows conflict. I updated my computer and can report that so far, Elements II remains fully functional. But after installing S P 2 for Windows XP, I am distressed to find that whenever I open IrfanView, the Windows O/S restarts video in what seems like ‘safe mode’.

Irfan Skiljan claims my video driver may be corrupt; so I rolled back the driver. Still no luck. Does anyone know a ‘work around’ for this problem?

If the video driver is corrupt, it would be corrupt for all applications…

Uninstall the program. Download and install new. Problem still there?

Go to your graphics performance settings, and turn off all acceleration, etc. Reboot. Problem fixed?

Ed
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 22, 2004
Alex,
You indicate that your problem follows the installation of Windows SP2. Microsoft does have toll free phone support for this installation:888-772-4357. It may be worthwhile to give them a call. Let us know how you make out so that we may learn about the vicissitudes of this update.
Ken
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Aug 22, 2004
Ken, you may have nudged Nancy’s "plethora" out of first place with your "vicissitudes" in the Word-of-the-Week contest…!!

🙂

Chuck
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 22, 2004
Chuck,
I knew that it would get your attention!! Really, I thought of you as I composed the previous. I am concerned about installing this program.
1. What will not work correctly after the installation?
2. Who will support a fix – Microsoft, or the vendor/builder of the computer?
3. On Microsoft’s web page, under "What to Expect" is says: "You need at least 1.8 GB of free space on your hard disk."
4. On the box to initiate the download (I am not on automatic – wish to retain some measure of control) is says "75-266MB."

I hope that contributors to these pages will tell us about their experience, just as they do about experiences with their cameras, scanners, printers, and other related nuances which are really not OT.
Ken
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Aug 22, 2004
Ken, I agree totally. There’s nothing more frustrating than installing a program and having it not work, then finding there’s nowhere to turn to get good advice. I think my blood pressure rises about 30 points every time I install new software…in anticipation of a system freeze or other terrible outcome. Thank goodness XP is a lot more stable than its predecessors…and thank goodness for this forum where the people are so knowledgeable, experienced, and helpful!

Chuck
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 22, 2004
Kenneth_Liffmann wrote:
Chuck,
I knew that it would get your attention!! Really, I thought of you as I composed the previous. I am concerned about installing this program.
1. What will not work correctly after the installation?
2. Who will support a fix – Microsoft, or the vendor/builder of the computer?
3. On Microsoft’s web page, under "What to Expect" is says: "You need at least 1.8 GB of free space on your hard disk."
4. On the box to initiate the download (I am not on automatic – wish to retain some measure of control) is says "75-266MB."
I hope that contributors to these pages will tell us about their experience, just as they do about experiences with their cameras, scanners, printers, and other related nuances which are really not OT. Ken

3. and 4. This refers to the disk space you’ll need to save what you download. The rest of the answer refers to free space, meaning the O/S needs an amount to uncompress, backup and install. For instance, there is an option to uninstall SP2. That can’t be done if the original files are not saved. If disk space is tight, I would say don’t download it.

2. If you read all the disclaimers and warranty info you have (might take a month or so), you’ll find that everyone you’ve given money to will refer you to another party when things break. In a nutshell, you’ve agreed that nothing is guaranteed. The support you get is what you find out before upgrading.

1. Adobe says "Security warnings occur or no results are returned when you open or search Help (Adobe applications on Windows XP with Service Pack 2)." In Document 330621 are explained how to handle the warnings. The warnings come up because the software firewall is ON by default after the upgrade. Previously it was an option. If you have another software firewall or hardware firewall, then you could consider turning off the XP firewall.

Also, I want to point out that this thread started with a complaint about a non-Adobe application. I haven’t read every message in the past week, but I don’t recall a specific complaint about PSE not working correctly after SP2. If there are any, I hope, as you do, that people will contribute.

Ed
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Aug 22, 2004
Ed,
Thanks for the amplification re my #3&4. Perhaps I am overly concerned, but I don’t like to act impulsively.
Ken
J
John
Aug 22, 2004
I do not have this problem with SP2 and Irfanview, but I am not using an NVidia card. Just a data point to indicate it’s not a universal problem with SP2. Likely is a video card issue, as Irfan points out.

– John

wrote in message

AM
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Aug 22, 2004
Someone suggested I had posted to the incorrect forum. But thanks to contributions by members Ed, John and Ken I was able to sort the problem of the screen resolution automatically changing from 1024 X 768 to 640 X 480 whenever IrfanView was opened. Many thanks to all.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 22, 2004
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY wrote:
Someone suggested I had posted to the incorrect forum. But thanks to contributions by members Ed, John and Ken I was able to sort the problem of the screen resolution automatically changing from 1024 X 768 to 640 X 480 whenever IrfanView was opened. Many thanks to all.

And the answer is?

Ed
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 22, 2004
Well, how about sharing the secret?
That’s what the forums are about, eh?

Mac
NS
Nancy_S
Aug 22, 2004
Inquiring minds want to know…
AM
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Aug 23, 2004
Sorry to have misled you: I don’t have the complete solution. To recapitulate, the OS is Windows XP, SP-2. Monitor resolution set by the nVidia video 6.1.7.7 driver is 1024 X 768 and works flawlessly in all programs, save IrfanView. It’s a program I’ve found to be useful in the past and would like to keep it. After your input, I discovered monitor resolution was being automatically re-set to 640 X 480 as soon as I opened IrfanView. I had thought Windows was reverting to some ‘safe mode’. But screen resolution can be re-set manually to 1024 X 768 while IrfanView is open! So far, all display settings available have been tried. No combination works. I’ve removed the driver, uninstalled and reinstalled the card and even operated the computer with just the bare Windows VGA driver, all to no avail. Even though resolution can be reset manually, with IrfanView open; it’s hardly a totally satisfactory solution.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 23, 2004
I’d call it no solution at all.
Bizarre behavior, I must say. I’ve used IrfanView for a long time, on Win98SE and XP Pro. Never seen anything like that.

thanks for the report, though.

Mac
PA
Patti Anderson
Aug 23, 2004
You’ve checked all the settings that might relate to screen display in Irfanview itself under Options>Properties? Check on the Video/Sound tab.

I use Irfanview daily, in fact I have my students use it for many of my on line classes — I would panic if it didn’t work!

Patti
AM
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Aug 23, 2004
I’ve too used IrfanView for years; starting with Windows ’98. The graphics file it could not open, wasn’t worth the trouble! And it worked on my computer before S P – 2! But you’re right, having to change screen resolution manually, is not a satisfactory solution at all. I’ve been in touch with Microsoft, nVidia and again with Irfan, but in the meantime until I get answers, have with reluctance removed his program from my computer.
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 23, 2004
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY wrote:
Sorry to have misled you: I don’t have the complete solution. To recapitulate, the OS is Windows XP, SP-2. Monitor resolution set by the nVidia video 6.1.7.7 driver is 1024 X 768 and works flawlessly in all programs, save IrfanView. It’s a program I’ve found to be useful in the past and would like to keep it. After your input, I discovered monitor resolution was being automatically re-set to 640 X 480 as soon as I opened IrfanView. I had thought Windows was reverting to some ‘safe mode’. But screen resolution can be re-set manually to 1024 X 768 while IrfanView is open! So far, all display settings available have been tried. No combination works. I’ve removed the driver, uninstalled and reinstalled the card and even operated the computer with just the bare Windows VGA driver, all to no avail. Even though resolution can be reset manually, with IrfanView open; it’s hardly a totally satisfactory solution.

Not sure if you tried uninstall/reinstall as I mentioned.

You could also try to rename the pref file: i_view32.ini to i_view32.bak. Start the program and see what happens. You’ll get a new pref file, with a few settings.

Ed
AM
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Aug 23, 2004
Ed: Yes, I did try install/uninstall and renaming of the ini file.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Aug 24, 2004
That’s just flat weird.
Photoshop/Elements is usually the graphics program that will find any crack in your armor.

Mac
EW
Ed_Wurster
Aug 24, 2004
<ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY wrote…
Ed: Yes, I did try install/uninstall and renaming of the ini file.

Did you turn off all graphics performance options in Windows?

Ed
AM
ALEX_MacGILLIVRAY
Aug 24, 2004
Oh absolutely! From the beginning I believed there was a conflict with Windows and or nVidia. I tried IrfanView in ‘safe mode’, with no acceleration. Using full acceleration and my desired resolution, Windows Viewer, Elements II and Ulead Photo, all function as desired.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections