SK
Posted By
Stefan_Klein
Jun 11, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I guess there`s a color bug in the "save for web dialog" in CS3. I know that I`m supposed to save pictures in sRGB for the web. Now there`s an option in the "save for web" dialog to do this automatically, if the picture is not yet in sRGB. It`s in the flyout menu on the right side of the dialog and is called "convert to sRGB". Now I want to save a picture that`s lets say in Adobe RGB and I want the "save for web" dialog to convert it to sRGB. So I check that command "convert to sRGB" in the "save for web"-options.
As soon as I do this the saturation of my picture in the preview window increases. That cannot be right, because converting from Adobe RGB to sRGB is not increasing the saturation. If I now save this picture with that command turned on (so that it is saved in sRGB) and open it again in PS CS3 the saturation is normal and identical to the original Adobe RGB image (what it should be and what`s correct). But the preview in "save for web" is not, because it changes the pic`s saturation depending on wether the "convert to sRGB" option is turned on or off.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jun 11, 2007
Stefan,

I always convert to sRGB before invoking SFW. Try it (Edit menu) Maybe the calibration of your display is out of order.

Rob
SK
Stefan_Klein
Jun 11, 2007
I usually also convert to sRGB before "save for web". So it`s not a problem, but is still a bug IMO. And it has nothing to do with display calibration. Converting to sRGB (in the save for web dialog)should not increase saturation.
Stefan
L
LenHewitt
Jun 12, 2007
Stefan,

Remember that when viewing in SFW you are viewing in monitor.rgb. If your monitor RGB is vastly different from sRGB, you ARE going to see a difference.
SK
Stefan_Klein
Jun 12, 2007
Len, I guess that`s not right. You can decide wether you want to see your picture in "uncompensated color" (that`s what you call "monitor RGB"), Windows RGB, Mac RGB or with the embedded ICC profile. You can choose between those options in the flyout menu at the right top of the dialog box. If I turn on the option to see the picture with the embedded ICC profile there should not be an increase in saturation as soon as I turn on the "convert to sRGB option". If I had turned on "uncompensated color" then the saturation shift would be expected, because that would be looking at the pic in monitor RGB.
Stefan
L
LenHewitt
Jun 12, 2007
Stefan,

I agree that IF you are viewing with embedded profile, it does seem counter-intuitive if you are seeing effectively "uncompensated color".

However, at this point the *embedded profile* hasn’t changed, but the numbers have, and I suspect that the embedded profile is still being used.

IF the images are intended for the web there is little point in viewing them with any profile since (with very few exceptions) the web is an un-colour managed environment. i.e. that’s not how your users will view them.
SK
Stefan_Klein
Jun 12, 2007
Len, totally agreed with everything you said. And you described it perfectely as counter-intuitive.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections